BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

06-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

A question for all the ROLEX pros on this forum.....

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!
Long story short my boss awarded me an oyster perpetual air-king in Sept 2012,
at the beginning of 2013 he told me if I was #1 in the division for the entire year he'd upgrade it. Well in March after all the stats were calculated I ended up making the top spot, now I have to figure out how this all works. I am not sure if you can go into a Rolex Authorized dealer and "trade in" your watch and reduce the price of the new one, and if that is possible will they low-ball me? Or should I just post mine up for sale, my boss just said "put it on Craigslist and see if you get any bites" I have the box and all the original paperwork etc. Just trying to find out which is the best route, trade in, or sell????

Any help would be great.

This is a picture of what I have now.

[IMG]http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t500/**********/img-thing.jpg[/IMG]

For those that are curious I am pretty sure for my upgrade I want a date-just stainless band white gold bezel blue face with roman numerals. For some reason I feel like that fits me more than a Submariner.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Join Timezone and chk out their marketplace either for selling or value.
AD will offer you less then a private sale most likely for an AK.

I'd keep the AK if possible
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Join Timezone and chk out their marketplace either for selling or value.
AD will offer you less then a private sale most likely for an AK.

I'd keep the AK if possible
thanks for the info, and would you suggest keeping the AK due to value going up?
I just don't think my boss would just buy me a second one. what if I kept the ak since it was new and maybe bought an older datejust? so I could have both?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

a private sale will almost certainly get you more value than what you would be offered on a trade-in. they're dealers - they need to make money on both your trade-in as well as the piece you buy. I'd say sell it privately and then go buy the watch you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I don't think I would hold on to the AK and buy a pre-owned DJ thinking the AK will go up in value.
If you can sell the AK to a private party great, but convenience may demand a trade-in.
I was just thinking if you held on to the watch you can compare it to the new piece, you'd be starting a collection and just maybe with wishful thinking, in the distant future the value would increase - that's half the fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

The best plave for you to sell it would be http://www.rolexforums.com/
Join the site and you'll be able to post in the "For Sale" section.

Just know this, for any online forum, potential buyers will want references. Most of the sales are done via bank-wire transfer and they want to make sure the person they are dealing with is not a rip-off artist (yes, there are still people out there trying to take advantage of the internet).

That being said, if you don't want to deal with a forum to sell your watch, you can definitely go to your local AD and see if they do take trades (not all do). My local AD does accept trades for all brands of watches, but they do not sell them. They literally have 3 or 4 places that buy used watches and they simply give them a call and ask for their best deal. TBH, I had a very good experience with this recently when I traded in a 2000 Polar Explorer II and a Panerai 111 when I purchased my GMT BLNR. I only lost a few hundred dollars vs. what I could have gotten selling them myself privately. Was it worth it? To me, yes.

I also see you're in Ventura, CA. Just Google "Used Watches" in your area and see what comes up. Contact them to see if they'd be interested in purchasing your watch outright.

BTW: Which Rolex will you be upgrading to?
I have four Rolexs at the moment. The brand new GMT BLNR, which is very hard to get yet. A white and a black face Daytona and a 2006 GMT Pepsi.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
a private sale will almost certainly get you more value than what you would be offered on a trade-in. they're dealers - they need to make money on both your trade-in as well as the piece you buy. I'd say sell it privately and then go buy the watch you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
I don't think I would hold on to the AK and buy a pre-owned DJ thinking the AK will go up in value.
If you can sell the AK to a private party great, but convenience may demand a trade-in.
I was just thinking if you held on to the watch you can compare it to the new piece, you'd be starting a collection and just maybe with wishful thinking, in the distant future the value would increase - that's half the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
The best plave for you to sell it would be http://www.rolexforums.com/
Join the site and you'll be able to post in the "For Sale" section.

Just know this, for any online forum, potential buyers will want references. Most of the sales are done via bank-wire transfer and they want to make sure the person they are dealing with is not a rip-off artist (yes, there are still people out there trying to take advantage of the internet).

That being said, if you don't want to deal with a forum to sell your watch, you can definitely go to your local AD and see if they do take trades (not all do). My local AD does accept trades for all brands of watches, but they do not sell them. They literally have 3 or 4 places that buy used watches and they simply give them a call and ask for their best deal. TBH, I had a very good experience with this recently when I traded in a 2000 Polar Explorer II and a Panerai 111 when I purchased my GMT BLNR. I only lost a few hundred dollars vs. what I could have gotten selling them myself privately. Was it worth it? To me, yes.

I also see you're in Ventura, CA. Just Google "Used Watches" in your area and see what comes up. Contact them to see if they'd be interested in purchasing your watch outright.

BTW: Which Rolex will you be upgrading to?
I have four Rolexs at the moment. The brand new GMT BLNR, which is very hard to get yet. A white and a black face Daytona and a 2006 GMT Pepsi.
Thanks for all the help everyone, the only reason I was considering keeping mine was because it was purchased new, and I wouldn't have wanted to trade it in and end up getting a pre-owned one, so I figured I'd keep mine, and have him buy me a pre-owned one that looks different than mine originally I wanted a date-just 2 however since I'm kind of new to Rolex I thought that particular watch was smaller than the submariner, but found it it's actually 1mm bigger than the sub, and I have always thought the sub was too big for me. So I'm now searching for something in-between what I have now 34mm and 40mm I've found many older date-justs that are 36mm which may fit me well, but I've never been a fan of the jubilee band. And the last thing I want to do is get another one that looks exactly the same as the one I have now. I'm looking for an older date-just with roman numerals, hopefully a black or silver face, 18kt white gold bezel, and to be honest to make it completely different, a leather band. And for some reason when I look online and see that bezels have been changed and most online stores aren't affiliated with Rolex and may void warranty etc it scares me so I'm trying to stay local maybe get lucky and find a man selling his. I've even considered a mont blanc for about 3200 from mont blanc directly, but worried it won't hold value like Rolex....
Sorry for making this confusing!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
ALPINE_997
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997TT

DON"T BUY A MONTH BLANC!! If you want to throw away money please send it to me

Did you end up getting the Rolex that you wanted yet? The Date-Just Stainless with Oyster is a very nice watch and if you can get it with a Roman Number White Dial it just makes the watch. I love the two tone rolex rose golds ones as well. My little brother is wearing mine right now. I like him like that.
      06-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997 View Post
DON"T BUY A MONTH BLANC!! If you want to throw away money please send it to me

Did you end up getting the Rolex that you wanted yet? The Date-Just Stainless with Oyster is a very nice watch and if you can get it with a Roman Number White Dial it just makes the watch. I love the two tone rolex rose golds ones as well. My little brother is wearing mine right now. I like him like that.
haha that's funny, I haven't yet I should have it by July 13th I am getting rid of this one and getting a Date-just 2 =0
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
ALPINE_997
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997TT

Good choice Let me know if you need help locating a good one
      06-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997 View Post
Good choice Let me know if you need help locating a good one
i do need help! no longer care if it's pre owned looking for a stainless steel with white gold bezel blue face and roman numerals, i know it will be hard but for around 5500-6500 and hopefully within the local la county area so i can go to a dealer for authenticity.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokeduetoe90 View Post
i do need help! no longer care if it's pre owned looking for a stainless steel with white gold bezel blue face and roman numerals, i know it will be hard but for around 5500-6500 and hopefully within the local la county area so i can go to a dealer for authenticity.
Check out http://www.watchrecon.com/
There are a ton of dealers on there and you will probably be able to find one in your area.

Use the search button to narrow your criteria to make it easier.
http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=datejust

Funny that you think a 40mm is too big. It takes a little getting used to if you haven't worn one "that big", but once you get used to it, everything else looks small. 40mm today is by no means considered a "big" watch anymore. A buddy of mine's wife wears a Panerai 40mm. She even wears his 44mm Paneria as well.
What is your wrist size? If it's over 6" you should be good to go with a 40mm Rolex.
IMHO: You couldn't go wrong with either a Submariner Date or GMT (black, pepsi or coke). They'll hold their value better too.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
If anyone can help it would be appreciated!
Long story short my boss awarded me an oyster perpetual air-king in Sept 2012,
at the beginning of 2013 he told me if I was #1 in the division for the entire year he'd upgrade it. Well in March after all the stats were calculated I ended up making the top spot, now I have to figure out how this all works. I am not sure if you can go into a Rolex Authorized dealer and "trade in" your watch and reduce the price of the new one, and if that is possible will they low-ball me? Or should I just post mine up for sale, my boss just said "put it on Craigslist and see if you get any bites" I have the box and all the original paperwork etc. Just trying to find out which is the best route, trade in, or sell????

Any help would be great.

This is a picture of what I have now.

[IMG]http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t500/**********/img-thing.jpg[/IMG]

For those that are curious I am pretty sure for my upgrade I want a date-just stainless band white gold bezel blue face with roman numerals. For some reason I feel like that fits me more than a Submariner.
This may be stupid, but if you boss offered to upgrade it, why not let him (his admin assistant) deal with the details?

As for the "upgrade" moving to any of several models would be a price upgrade, but as we are talking about Oyster line Rolexes, not so much of a movement upgrade. The size also will become larger.

• Rolex Explorer I -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Milgauss -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Sub-no-date -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 -- same movement you already have
  • Any Oyster line model with a date -- minor upgrade, but still the same basic movement with a date module added
  • Any Oyster Day-Date -- same basic movement, but day and date modules added
  • Rolex Yachtmaster II -- movement upgrade...might also be a materials upgrade, but I'm not totally sure as for a time these were strictly gold or platinum, but they may now be offered in steel too...just not remembering and too lazy to go check.
  • Rolex Explorer II (GMT) -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Daytona -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Cellini -- upgrade in terms of movement, design and material as there are no stainless models in that line. Cellini is Rolex's line of dress watches, but they are also fashion forward in terms of design.
As for the price one can expect to get selling the Air King you have, I believe they are going for something in the $4K range (pre-owned retail). If you sell it to a retailer/jeweler like Tourneau, you'll probably get something in the $2K-$3K range because you'll be receiving a wholesale price. Of course, the condition of the thing will affect the rough values I've cited.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, were I you, I'd just ask him to give you a company check for the sum they are willing to upgrade you by and keep the watch you have. It'll be quite a bump in price to actually "upgrade" to a larger watch with a different movement.

Edit:
One thing you may have noticed from the bullet list above is that there's not that much variety among Rolex's Oyster movements. That is why they make so damn much profit on the things...that and that the basic movements haven't changed that much in over 50 years. Rolex have spent more money innovating ways to deal with fraudulent copies of their watches than they have on creating new movements, although they have spent tidy sums improving the actual production process that creates their watches. (Don't take my last two comments as me deriding Rolex; that's not my intent all all for they are very nice watches. I'm just trying to give you a fair picture.)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-27-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

thank you for the help and I now realize that a 40mm isn't that big, trying to find one has been a huge pain though trying to stick with a sub since its a little cheaper but it's the most knocked off =( this has been super hard because I want to make sure its authentic but haven't done enough research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Check out http://www.watchrecon.com/
There are a ton of dealers on there and you will probably be able to find one in your area.

Use the search button to narrow your criteria to make it easier.
http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=datejust

Funny that you think a 40mm is too big. It takes a little getting used to if you haven't worn one "that big", but once you get used to it, everything else looks small. 40mm today is by no means considered a "big" watch anymore. A buddy of mine's wife wears a Panerai 40mm. She even wears his 44mm Paneria as well.
What is your wrist size? If it's over 6" you should be good to go with a 40mm Rolex.
IMHO: You couldn't go wrong with either a Submariner Date or GMT (black, pepsi or coke). They'll hold their value better too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
This may be stupid, but if you boss offered to upgrade it, why not let him (his admin assistant) deal with the details?

As for the "upgrade" moving to any of several models would be a price upgrade, but as we are talking about Oyster line Rolexes, not so much of a movement upgrade. The size also will become larger.

• Rolex Explorer I -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Milgauss -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Sub-no-date -- same movement you already have
  • Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 -- same movement you already have
  • Any Oyster line model with a date -- minor upgrade, but still the same basic movement with a date module added
  • Any Oyster Day-Date -- same basic movement, but day and date modules added
  • Rolex Yachtmaster II -- movement upgrade...might also be a materials upgrade, but I'm not totally sure as for a time these were strictly gold or platinum, but they may now be offered in steel too...just not remembering and too lazy to go check.
  • Rolex Explorer II (GMT) -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Daytona -- movement upgrade
  • Rolex Cellini -- upgrade in terms of movement, design and material as there are no stainless models in that line. Cellini is Rolex's line of dress watches, but they are also fashion forward in terms of design.
As for the price one can expect to get selling the Air King you have, I believe they are going for something in the $4K range (pre-owned retail). If you sell it to a retailer/jeweler like Tourneau, you'll probably get something in the $2K-$3K range because you'll be receiving a wholesale price. Of course, the condition of the thing will affect the rough values I've cited.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, were I you, I'd just ask him to give you a company check for the sum they are willing to upgrade you by and keep the watch you have. It'll be quite a bump in price to actually "upgrade" to a larger watch with a different movement.

Edit:
One thing you may have noticed from the bullet list above is that there's not that much variety among Rolex's Oyster movements. That is why they make so damn much profit on the things...that and that the basic movements haven't changed that much in over 50 years. Rolex have spent more money innovating ways to deal with fraudulent copies of their watches than they have on creating new movements, although they have spent tidy sums improving the actual production process that creates their watches. (Don't take my last two comments as me deriding Rolex; that's not my intent all all for they are very nice watches. I'm just trying to give you a fair picture.)

All the best.
not stupid at all I appreciate all the help on this forum, every one is telling me I shouldn't be the one going through all the trouble to find the watch, but I think just having him write me a check may be the best way to solve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

echoing what everyone had mentioned already.. if I were you, I would keep the air king, mainly because you had it new and from the sounds of it, you do like the watch. It won't bring in alot of money, in fact selling it would be the wrong thing to do in my opinion. As to the upgrade, I would go with a submariner as opposed to a datejust II. They definitely hold more value and look alot different than the air king or datejust. If you have the money, go for the anniversary edition as it may well appreciate in value. My 2 cents. Wishing you good luck.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #17
blaze221
Registered
Rep
Drives: GTR

I'd say sell rather than trade they would give the lowest price compared to a ad you could get top $$
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
echoing what everyone had mentioned already.. if I were you, I would keep the air king, mainly because you had it new and from the sounds of it, you do like the watch. It won't bring in alot of money, in fact selling it would be the wrong thing to do in my opinion. As to the upgrade, I would go with a submariner as opposed to a datejust II. They definitely hold more value and look alot different than the air king or datejust. If you have the money, go for the anniversary edition as it may well appreciate in value. My 2 cents. Wishing you good luck.

MBA
unfortunately I found out when checking the serial, my boss bought it used, but acted as if it was new, which I'm kind of bummed on, ( I know I shouldn't be bummed because he got me a Rolex) but he could have just said it was used instead of telling me it was new.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post

MBA
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Hmmm. Variety is the spice of life. You got a sweet watch for your excellent performance last year. I'd vote to be happy with that watch and use your new bonus for something else you're passionate about. You clearly like watches so I'd be wanting to build a collection you can enjoy instead of selling a watch you like. I collect a couple of expensive items but I never sell any of them. I just add to my collection. Maybe get the boss to supercharge your M3. Aside from that, enjoy the new watch hunt if that's what you go with.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
unfortunately I found out when checking the serial, my boss bought it used, but acted as if it was new, which I'm kind of bummed on, ( I know I shouldn't be bummed because he got me a Rolex) but he could have just said it was used instead of telling me it was new.
The reason you shouldn't be bummed is because you were given a gift, not because of how lavish it is. Moreover, it was given in return for doing what they are already paying you to do, your job. The company (or your boss if he did it out of his own pocket) really didn't have to give you (or anyone else) a reward for doing a good job at their job. It really is the though, not the thing, that counts.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #22
Brokeduetoe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
The reason you shouldn't be bummed is because you were given a gift, not because of how lavish it is. Moreover, it was given in return for doing what they are already paying you to do, your job. The company (or your boss if he did it out of his own pocket) really didn't have to give you (or anyone else) a reward for doing a good job at their job. It really is the though, not the thing, that counts.

All the best.
Thanks yes I know. Thank you
Appreciate 0