BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Volvo Introduces New EX30 EV SUV Starting at $35,000 and 275 Mile Range

Small yet mighty: say hello to the fully electric Volvo EX30 small SUV!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Cars Media
As a small SUV that does big Volvo things, our new fully electric Volvo EX30 is designed to be as safe as you’d expect from us. It is designed to have the smallest CO2 footprint of any Volvo car to date, and to make people’s lives safer, more convenient, and more enjoyable through cutting-edge technology and Scandinavian design.

Revealed to the world today in Milan, Italy and available for pre-order now in the US, the EX30 is our first small premium SUV and expands our constantly growing, all-electric offering to four models. As the market is rapidly moving towards full electrification, the EX30 will help us capture growing demand for fully electric cars in a fast-growing segment.

What’s more, the attractive pricing of the EX30 – which starts at $34,950 MSRP in the US – means our customers get a premium all-electric SUV for a similar price to an internal combustion engine-powered equivalent.

“The fully electric EX30 might be our smallest ever SUV, but it’s a big deal for our customers and a big deal for us as a company,” said Jim Rowan, our chief executive. “We like to say the EX30 is small yet mighty, because it delivers on everything you’d want from a Volvo but in a smaller package. Like any Volvo, it’s an outstanding product which is safe and designed around people and their needs.”

The EX30 embodies all of our design values in a smaller format. A long wheelbase, large wheels and equal overhangs bring balance and refinement to the exterior. It’s distinctly electric, with a confident face, closed shield and a digital rendition of the Thor’s Hammer headlights. Five vibrant exterior colors, from stylish Cloud Blue to bright and expressive Moss Yellow – the latter inspired by lichen growing on rocks along the Swedish west coast – give it character and personality.

Battery tech that suits your needs
So let’s talk about our battery technology. First of all, there’s no such thing as simply ‘a battery’ when we discuss powertrains. Instead, we’re giving you the freedom to choose the technology that best suits your needs, offering the EX30 with two powertrain options.

If you prefer to maximize range, the Single Motor Extended Range variant with an NMC extended-range battery is your EX30 of choice. The NMC battery features lithium, nickel, manganese, and cobalt, and produces its energy efficiently. This single-motor, extended range option gives you an estimated range of 275* miles between charges.

Finally, if performance is your priority, pick the Twin Motor Performance variant in which we pair the NMC battery with an additional second e-motor. This all-wheel drive variant of the EX30 provides 422 hp and takes you from 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds – it’s officially our fastest-accelerating car ever!

Another thing the EX30 does fast is charging. The extended-range Twin Motor variant has a charging capacity of up to 153 kW. That means you can charge your battery from 10 to 80 per cent in a little over 26.5 minutes. Through the car’s center display and app, you can set the amperage, maximum charging level and when you want to start charging.

To support the best possible driving experience, we’ve tuned the chassis of the EX30 to make the most of the car’s compact dimensions. Its low center of gravity, as well as its relatively low and evenly distributed weight are complemented by ease of driving and nimbleness in the city and beyond.

A smaller carbon footprint, yet a big safety impact
As we wrote in earlier blogposts, the EX30 is designed to have the lowest carbon footprint of any Volvo car to date and represents an important step forward for our sustainability ambitions. By tackling emissions across the entire production and lifecycle, as well as a considerate use of materials inside and out, we managed to reduce its total carbon footprint over 124,274 miles (200,000 kms) of driving to below 30 tons*.

The EX30 is also designed to be as safe as you’d expect from a Volvo and aims to look after both you and others in hectic urban environments. For example, it includes as standard a special safety feature for bikes that helps to prevent so-called ‘dooring’ accidents, by alerting you when you are about to open your door in front of a cyclist, scooter, or runner.

Our protective safety technology further illustrates how we’ve applied our high safety standards to our new small SUV. It contains state-of-the-art restraint technology, as well as top-notch structural design that fulfills our ambitious in-house safety requirements – designed to prepare our cars for various real-world scenarios.

The EX30 also aims to make your life more convenient, more relaxing, and more enjoyable inside the car through cutting-edge tech and considerate Scandinavian interior design. You can choose from four distinct interior rooms, each with their own expression, while there are smart storage options throughout the cabin.

Together with a contextual single-screen UX, with Google built-in and running the latest version of our infotainment system, these features all reflect the hallmarks of true Volvo design.

Speaking of cutting-edge tech: the Volvo EX30 is our first car to include a new generation of our popular Park Pilot Assist feature. It can handle all types of parking spaces, including parallel, curved, perpendicular and diagonal fishbone-style, making parking in tight spaces a breeze.

The new Park Pilot Assist will identify any available parking spots around you. Then, once you’ve tapped the one you want in the new 3D user interface, the feature will operate the throttle and brake as well as the steering. While you supervise the parking process, the screen shows the distance to objects such as cars, walls, and bollards in metric or imperial figures.

As with any Volvo car, for the EX30 we’ve worked closely with tech partners such as Google, Apple, and Qualcomm to deliver the best possible user experience. We’ve also worked closely with ECARX through our jointly owned HaleyTek software joint venture to deliver the best possible infotainment platform for our customers.

A sense of calm
Of course, the EX30 will also come with a digital key functionality which is both convenient for you and makes it easy to share the car with others. Built on the advanced UWB and CCC industry standards, our technology will be compatible with a wide range of phone brands and models.

The car’s dedicated app contains all relevant services related to the car, from charging to finding your car on a busy parking lot, locking it and heating it on a cold winter day. The EX30 is also prepared to receive software updates over the air that will make it better over time.

As if that wasn’t enough, the Volvo EX30 also comes with a choice of five different ambient lighting themes. Each is inspired by a different Scandinavian landscape and subtly shifting in color, adding a sense of calm to the interior.

Whether you prefer the warm sunlight falling through the leaves of a Scandinavian forest, a sunset on the Swedish west coast, the world famous northern lights, the golden summer skies of Swedish midsummer or the bright mood of an urban sunset, your EX30 will be filled with the colors of your choice. For extra immersion, you can pair each lighting theme with an ambient soundscape.

Zooming across the country in style
Finally, we’ve got a surprise for you. Starting next year, our EX30 will also become available as a Cross Country variant. Order books for this special version of our small electric SUV will open in 2024, with production expected to start later that year.

The Volvo EX30 Cross Country will build on our long Cross Country heritage, our celebrated line-up of models for customers who want a bit more adventure from their car. It’ll come with a range of bespoke features, such as more ground clearance, 19-inch black wheels and the option of 18-inch wheels with bespoke tires.

When you take your EX30 Cross Country off the beaten path, it will be recognizable by its skidplates on the front, rear and side, special black panels on the front bumper and trunklid, and stylish Cross Country branding – the small, hood-mounted Swedish flag is the cherry on top.

The small print
  • The carbon footprint calculation of below 30 ton over 200,000 kms of driving is based on usage of charging electricity from the EU27 electricity mix. The lowest carbon footprint of any Volvo car to date statement relates to globally available products over 200,000 kms of driving.
  • Stated MSRP is for Core Single Motor Extended Range, RWD; certain trim levels may have limited availability. Final pricing and payment terms will be available closer to delivery time at your Volvo Cars retailer. Retailer price may vary. A reservation does not guarantee availability of a select trim.
  • Range figures are preliminary and derive from estimates and calculations performed by Volvo Cars for EX30 and these outcomes are not guaranteed. The driving range, horsepower, and energy consumption under real conditions vary depending on driving behavior and other external factors.
  • Charging times can vary and are dependent on factors such as outdoor temperature, battery temperature, charging equipment, battery condition and car condition.
  • Digital key functionality subject to phone compatibility. UWB-based technology is scheduled to be rolled out next year via an over-the-air software update.
  • Features and services may not be available in all markets and will not be standard in all markets or for all models.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  372.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  337.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  272.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  178.1 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  177.7 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  220.1 KB

Last edited by stein_325i; 06-09-2023 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      06-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #2
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

06-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Looks like the Kia EV6 is getting some competition, but the Kia is available now.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Seems a bit... small.

Going to have to sell it on its Green creds.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-07-2023 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Just watched CarWow's initial video on it. Really digging the recycled material interiors, though the single portrait touch display is quite odd.
Gear selector as a stalk behind the steering wheel is also a little bizarre.
Replacing the door speakers with a big Harman Kardon sound bar is intriguing!

But a dual motor AWD EV with 422hp, 400 ft-lbs of torque, and a 0-60 in 3.4 seconds in something that small? With performance that beats out a Tesla Model 3 Performance or Audi RS3/RSQ3 all while being cheaper? That's pretty sweet.

Last edited by Equilibrandt; 06-07-2023 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
What’s so bizzare about the gear selector? Been like this for decades in trucks with column shifters, and Merc’s have had it for years.
      06-07-2023, 11:14 AM   #7
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Just watched CarWow's initial video on it. Really digging the recycled material interiors, though the single portrait touch display is quite odd.

But a dual motor AWD EV with 422hp, 400 ft-lbs of torque, and a 0-60 in 3.4 seconds in something that small? With performance that beats out a Tesla Model 3 Performance or Audi RS3/RSQ3 all while being cheaper? That's pretty sweet.
Does it say how much the AWD version will be? All I see is starting price assuming that's for the single motor variant.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #8
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
What’s so bizzare about the gear selector? Been like this for decades in trucks with column shifters, and Merc’s have had it for years.
For me, the column shifter was always reserved for larger trucks and SUVs (like the family Suburban, which I'm used to). Interesting seeing it on a such a small car, but it makes sense because of how they got rid of the whole center console, effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofhockenheim View Post
Does it say how much the AWD version will be? All I see is starting price assuming that's for the single motor variant.
Matt Watson/CarWow said the dual motor version costs just under 41000 pounds ($51000)
      06-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Kia EV6 GT has that now — actually more performance.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #10
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Another ipad dash with the same interior as every other EV. Yawn.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      06-07-2023, 03:48 PM   #11
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Kia EV6 GT has that now — actually more performance.
While I agree that the EV6 GT could do all of that, it's also $10,000 more. I'd take the EV6 any day of the week if the prices were equal. The price to performance differential is what's pretty sweet.
      06-07-2023, 03:51 PM   #12
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:

If the volvo did price at 50, that's only a few grand cheaper than a model 3 performance, while still being slower in performance.

A model 3 performance does 3.1 0-60 and runs the 1/4 in 11.6-11.7.

It'll take some time for other car makers to catch up to tesla. But we're getting there.
      06-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
While I agree that the EV6 GT could do all of that, it's also $10,000 more. I'd take the EV6 any day of the week if the prices were equal. The price to performance differential is what's pretty sweet.
I did not read all the fine print since I am not actually shopping right now for an EV, but this is a car being promised a year from now at a certain price. Maybe you can pre-buy and lock that in, but the claimed savings may not be there in a year in the regular market place. I have read about problems with Tesla, Ford, and other EV production and prices.

Maybe in a few years I will look more closely at EVs. They keep getting better and better and there are more to choose from. I’d like 400-500 miles of range and performance better than my M5. Right now that limits me to the top Tesla Model S and the top Lucid. Would probably not be fun to need parts or servicing for either of those if you don’t live in or near a big city.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I've not yet found the size volume class the EX30 is in. I think it's the compact CUV class. If so, that class of cars has a lot of offerings $8K to $10K less than the stripper base price of the Core. $10K just buys a lot of gasoline and makes the payback to go EV at 100,000 miles and 8 - 10 years. Throw in range anxiety and recharge inconvenience (for over 50% of owners who don't have private charging), even this tiny EV doesn't bridge the gap from ICE.

Plus this shit about 80% range recovery in 27 minutes is a joke. The EV'ers are just going to continuously push that charging story until it gains acceptance (i.e. say it enough and it becomes the norm). Sorry, but most people like filling up in 5 minutes and be on their way. And range and recharge rates are highly temperature dependent; 273 miles and 27 minutes are under perfect conditions. Same movie, different cast...

It is nice looking though, far better than Uncle Elon's offerings.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-07-2023 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 07:26 PM   #15
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've not yet found the size volume class the EX30 is in. I think it's the compact CUV class. If so, that class of cars has a lot of offerings $8K to $10K less than the stripper base price of the Core. $10K just buys a lot of gasoline and makes the payback to go EV at 100,000 miles and 8 - 10 years. Throw in range anxiety and recharge inconvenience (for over 50% of owners who don't have private charging), even this tiny EV doesn't bridge the gap from ICE.

Plus this shit about 80% range recovery in 25 minutes is a joke. The EV'ers are just going to continuously push that charging story until it gains acceptance (i.e. say it enough and it becomes the norm). Sorry, but most people like filling up in 5 minutes and be on their way. And range and recharge rates are highly temperature dependent; 273 miles and 25 minutes are under perfect conditions. Same movie, different cast...

It is nice looking though, far better than Uncle Elon's offerings.
It looks to be a sub-compact. Its around tbe size of a Hyundai Kona.
Efthreeoh16950.50
      06-07-2023, 08:25 PM   #16
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

Not sure why exactly, but expected a bit more style from Volvo. This just looks "plastic".
Appreciate 3
jmack548.50
Rocket455480.50
      06-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #17
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joralemon View Post
Not sure why exactly, but expected a bit more style from Volvo. This just looks "plastic".
The side profile is very similar to the EU Kia Sportage imo.

jmack548.50
      06-07-2023, 08:35 PM   #18
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

Quote:
The side profile is very similar to the EU Kia Sportage imo.

Yup. Funny, you just reminded me of the time I first ever saw a Porsche Cayenne for the first time — looked at it from the side and couldn't help but laugh at the fact that I was looking at a Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #19
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

In-Person Photos of the EX30 and Cross Country Model

Name:  3.jpeg
Views: 870
Size:  823.5 KB
Name:  4.jpeg
Views: 873
Size:  898.3 KB
Name:  1.jpeg
Views: 892
Size:  272.3 KB
Name:  2.jpeg
Views: 947
Size:  410.6 KB
      06-08-2023, 12:21 PM   #20
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely like the look of the overland rig version. It's still quite comical to me that they go through all this effort to smooth out the front bumper and not put a fake grill on the EV's front bumper, just to put a huge black rectangle that'll look like a grill from anywhere outside of ~10 feet away.
      06-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #21
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

06-09-2023, 03:28 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I know I'm the guy that seems to always piss on EV. But I get paid to read the fine print and I'm too old to be influenced by dorks in an intranet video. The "small print" has all the EV caveats: (a) battery range and recharge rates are temperature and charging equipment dependant, (b) range is a calculated estimate, (c) the lowest price $35K Core trim level will be "limited availability", (d) its total carbon footprint is based on some imaginary post-manufacture Euro sustainable eco energy source.

Meanwhile I see it as the EX30 will be manufactured in China, which electrical grid is fueled 80% by coal; it takes a lot of electricity to make steel, aluminum, and recycle and reformulate plastics into new parts. And then the dash trim is made of recycled plastics with little chunks of random colored plastic embedded in the main plastic substrate. Lol, that's not how plastic works. This is just more EV (coal) smoke and mirrors.

Are the Woke Enviro Greenies going to tolerate this car being manufactured in coal-buring, class-leading human-rights-violator China? When it doesn't classify for US tax credits because it's not made in North America, it will be painfully obvious it is made in China; I'm not sure how that will play. Are budget-conscious buyers who mostly buy the mid-$20K subcompact CUV class car going the see any value in paying $10K more to go EV?

Despite the internet influencer hype, I just don't see this as a game changer. Looks like another over-promised, spartan interior Model 3 (with an i3 recycle vibe), with a 6-year lead-time to sell at the $35K price point model. And with no US Fed tax credit to make up the difference.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-10-2023 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58910.50
P111541.50