BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-19-2023, 12:45 PM   #45
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’ve seen that video. I disagree with him vehemently. That’s what I keep trying to say my friend. Some people think the Corvette is a beautiful car. I think it’s ugly as hell. I like the new style one and traditionalists hate it. Well for the most part. Everyone has different opinions. I’m telling you worldwide there are more people that like the new front of the G80 then don’t like it. Sales prove that. So to me you making an argument for the front being ugly is like you trying to convince me old style Corvettes look awesome. It’s not going to work. I appreciate you though. You’re very reasonable with your arguments.
You are missing the point that Frank and I are making. The front grill does not align, compliment or syncronize with the rest of the car in any way. Random shapes not blended properly will never do that. The language does not align with what BMW has been doing for the last 50 years. Whether you like it or not.

You can argue you like odd shapes with no flow or continuity. That's great, most people don't. Just as you can argue you like Cattelan better than Rembrant, but most people don't. I'm sure you like the house in the pic I attached, I don't. But please don't argue those shapes are examples of elegance, artistic flow, complimentary continuity. That's what the industry tried in the 1970's and it's why so many cars from that era are on ugliest cars in history lists.

And sales are a really poor gauge. Many co's are breaking sales records, including some Nissan models which are actually uglier that some of the new BMW models. Not everyone buy's for looks. My cousin had a Pontiac Aztek because it was the best car for her needs and practical. She made fun of the looks just as much as everyone else.

I make fun of the odd shapes on my car that don't flow, but it was the best option for what I wanted. And speaking of sales, I was told I would have to wait 2 years for an RS3 and pay a huge markup. I custom ordered, waited 3 mos. and got a $1500 discount on my BMW.

And when 90% of the comments on an enthusiast site like Car and Driver representing all brands say something looks like &*%$, it's just not honest to say most people like it.

Again, of you like it, great, but it will never be an example of synergistic elegance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #46
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
You are missing the point that Frank and I are making. The front grill does not align, compliment or syncronize with the rest of the car in any way. Random shapes not blended properly will never do that. The language does not align with what BMW has been doing for the last 50 years. Whether you like it or not.

You can argue you like odd shapes with no flow or continuity. That's great, most people don't. Just as you can argue you like Cattelan better than Rembrant, but most people don't. I'm sure you like the house in the pic I attached, I don't. But please don't argue those shapes are examples of elegance, artistic flow, complimentary continuity. That's what the industry tried in the 1970's and it's why so many cars from that era are on ugliest cars in history lists.

And sales are a really poor gauge. Many co's are breaking sales records, including some Nissan models which are actually uglier that some of the new BMW models. Not everyone buy's for looks. My cousin had a Pontiac Aztek because it was the best car for her needs and practical. She made fun of the looks just as much as everyone else.

I make fun of the odd shapes on my car that don't flow, but it was the best option for what I wanted. And speaking of sales, I was told I would have to wait 2 years for an RS3 and pay a huge markup. I custom ordered, waited 3 mos. and got a $1500 discount on my BMW.

And when 90% of the comments on an enthusiast site like Car and Driver representing all brands say something looks like &*%$, it's just not honest to say most people like it.

Again, of you like it, [...]
Brother, I stopped reading after you said sales are a terrible way to measure these things.

I disagree with you that the grill doesn’t align with the rest of the car. I think it looks perfect. I think it’s entirely aggressive and wonderful looking. And Sales my friend are absolutely the only way to gauge a products success. Any product. Why don’t you go to any business owner and let them know that sales don’t matter. Take it easy brother.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #47
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Competition is good. Intellectual property theft is bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:51 PM   #48
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
The G80 M3/4 COULD HAVE BEEN one of the best looking BMW's ever if it weren't for the monstrosity on the front. Best headlights ever and BMW has to do that to a car.

Frank explains starting at 6:40:
A rendering of what the grille and bumper could have been. This was put out by a company that was proposing producing it for the aftermarket. As far as I know they never did. I don’t know why. I think it would have sold well, but maybe I’m wrong.
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-22-2023, 05:28 AM   #49
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
A rendering of what the grille and bumper could have been. This was put out by a company that was proposing producing it for the aftermarket. As far as I know they never did. I don’t know why. I think it would have sold well, but maybe I’m wrong.
If I could've gotten that front end I would've gotten an M3 not a M240.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 08:31 AM   #50
Tethys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp, 330i, Camaro SS

Garage List
There appears to be 2 conversions for the car now, this one:

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...3-g82-m4-2021/

And this one:

https://www.evolvetuning.us/blog/the...r-release.html

Me personally, I hated it when it first came out but after seeing it in person it was a different story. To me now the previous generation looks way dated after seeing, and owning, an M4CX. I have never had anyone tell me the car doesn't look good or they don't like the front grille, no one, it has been nothing but positive and compliments on how awesome and aggressive it looks. If you don't like it, don't buy one simple as that but these cars are selling like hot cakes.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 09:00 AM   #51
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
There appears to be 2 conversions for the car now, this one:

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...3-g82-m4-2021/

And this one:

https://www.evolvetuning.us/blog/the...r-release.html

Me personally, I hated it when it first came out but after seeing it in person it was a different story. To me now the previous generation looks way dated after seeing, and owning, an M4CX. I have never had anyone tell me the car doesn't look good or they don't like the front grille, no one, it has been nothing but positive and compliments on how awesome and aggressive it looks. If you don't like it, don't buy one simple as that but these cars are selling like hot cakes.
The one from Evasive is a massive improvement, I like it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #52
Tethys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp, 330i, Camaro SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
The one from Evasive is a massive improvement, I like it a lot.
I'll just be doing an aftermarket insert that opens it up, I like the grille just fine but like it opened up a tad more.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #53
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The last sentence certainly makes sense.
https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-1...ade-1850566502
Appreciate 0