BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Jeffelite
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

Speeding ticket

Anyone get a ticket from a police car sitting on the side of the road?

I believe, I might have gotten a ticket today driving pass a police van sitting on the side of the road. He had a radar in the back and took a picture of my car after I went by.

Don't they need to take a picture of me because they can't give a car a ticket? They have to give the ticket to a person?

Thanks
      01-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

If that is true, all they need is a pic of your license plate. Ive never heard of that though.
      01-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

And how are they going to prove that it was me driving the car and not somebody else? If there are points involved they go to my driver licence even if it would be my friend driving the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
esplegend
Hip,Hip-Hop,Hip-Hop-Anonymous
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i - Black, all the goo

That's very common here in the Southwest (AZ), especially at stop lights and on the highways. They'll take two pics: one of the front of your car with a pic of you driving like a dud, and the other of your license plate. You'll receive a ticket in the mail in about a week to pay a fine along with copies of the photos. If you look at the pic of yourself and it doesn't look like you enough, go to the court date and fight it. I've gotten three and each one I paid. Sucks. Those are too damn efficient. I actually heard they're doing away with them now...

Are we even talking about the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

My only ticket in the last 8 years came from a mobile photo-radar unit like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

have u guys heard of "traffic cameras" before?
      01-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Iguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

It's called "photo radar" here. They take a pic of your plate. The ticket is mailed to the registered owner of that vehicle and the fine corresponds to the speed one is over. Because they can't prove who was driving, the fine stands however there are no demerit points issued.

Personally, I thought this was common all over the world. However, they use unmarked vans here.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
no highway radars yet in miami... oh so sad...
      01-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

A word of caution to those considering fighting such a ticket.
In VA, as in many states, these tickets carry no "point" assessment.(for now). The fine is minimal and rarely worth fighting. If you are considering fighting it with the notion they can't make you out as the driver, guess again! Prior to the cameras being temporarily removed for being unlawful, many cameras in Virginia produced higher quality pictures than what they were sending out in the mail. If you decided to show up in court, you may be surprised to see a picture that is as clear as day when the one you received could barely define if the driver was male or female. I decide to pay mine; my friend had egg all over his face after the above scenario played out in court. Goddamn technology; can't live with it, can't live without it!
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esplegend View Post
That's very common here in the Southwest (AZ), especially at stop lights and on the highways. They'll take two pics: one of the front of your car with a pic of you driving like a dud, and the other of your license plate. You'll receive a ticket in the mail in about a week to pay a fine along with copies of the photos. If you look at the pic of yourself and it doesn't look like you enough, go to the court date and fight it. I've gotten three and each one I paid. Sucks. Those are too damn efficient. I actually heard they're doing away with them now...

Are we even talking about the same thing?
We have mobil vans that operate around the valley also.. Usually they are easy to spot and I have never been caught by one.

The only ticket from a photo box I got was a red light running ticket, I was turing left and had a green arrow and a city bus in front of me( it was a lagging green arrow meaning after the other light turned red it went green) anyways the bus was going very slow 10 mph or so I was right behind it arrow turned yellow and I had just entered the intersection but was not far enough in and that triggered the camera. Funny thing was it listed your speed of travel and it was 12 mph which only proves I was not trying to beat the light, anything below 15mph is painfully slow. (at the time I had an SUV also)

Anyways got the ticket dropped since the car was registered under the business name. All I had to do was call in and they dropped the ticket.

A good way to beat all photo tickets is if you are married, put your spouses name only on the car you drive and vise versa, so they get a ticket with you driving your car but in their name and they go to court and of course its not them and they dont have to tell who the other drive was. Or if you have a business register the car under that.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
have u guys heard of "traffic cameras" before?
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

No point ticket makes sense in this guilty by proxy photo-case.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I'll rather pay fines all day long than accumulate points
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
Jeffelite
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

How do you know if you accumulate points?
      01-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
6SpeedMan
Poor rich kid working
Rep
Drives: 335i soon to be M3

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
what are points?
      01-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedMan View Post
what are points?
All(most?) moving violations have a set number of points. Usually for speeding the more you're over the more points you get. Once you have so many points your license gets suspended for 30-90 days depending on the state.

Spark notes: Points = bad mojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffelite View Post
Anyone get a ticket from a police car sitting on the side of the road?

I believe, I might have gotten a ticket today driving pass a police van sitting on the side of the road. He had a radar in the back and took a picture of my car after I went by.

Don't they need to take a picture of me because they can't give a car a ticket? They have to give the ticket to a person?

Thanks
They cannot prove who was driving it should be no points...just pay it and thats it.....

I got a ticket once using my easypass in NY apparently I made it from Syracuse to Buffalo on the NY State Thruway alot faster than I was supposed to.

I got a ticket in the mail a few weeks later..explaining how long it should have taken and how long it took me. I think it was supposed to take like 1 hour and 45 minutes and I did it in like 1 hour and 10 minutes..or something like that it was 5 years ago...But no points.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
esplegend
Hip,Hip-Hop,Hip-Hop-Anonymous
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i - Black, all the goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
They cannot prove who was driving it should be no points...just pay it and thats it.....

I got a ticket once using my easypass in NY apparently I made it from Syracuse to Buffalo on the NY State Thruway alot faster than I was supposed to.

I got a ticket in the mail a few weeks later..explaining how long it should have taken and how long it took me. I think it was supposed to take like 1 hour and 45 minutes and I did it in like 1 hour and 10 minutes..or something like that it was 5 years ago...But no points.

Damn! They're doing absolutely anything they can to earn a little more cash. I'm glad tolls, easypasses, and all that other stuff doesn't exist in AZ and NV.

B
Appreciate 0