proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

So I've been really looking into a cayman s with sport suspension, sport exhaust, and manual transmission. No other option. Any thoughts? I also really like the 997 gts but I feel the interiors a bit out dated and prefer the driving dynamics of the 991.

So now my options are

1. Buy an m3 as my only car
2. Buy a cheap daily and a Porsche cayman s/gts manual
3. Buy a cheap daily and a 997 gts or 991 c2s Pdk

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
So I've been really looking into a cayman s with sport suspension, sport exhaust, and manual transmission. No other option. Any thoughts? I also really like the 997 gts but I feel the interiors a bit out dated and prefer the driving dynamics of the 991.

So now my options are

Thoughts?
The Porsche forum would probably be a better place to get an answer
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #25
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

So now my options are

Thoughts?
Go drive the M3 before you start judging about turbos. It isn't even close to any other turbo. Your mission now is to find yourself a dealership that will let you take the car out and drive it properly. You will buy it then and there.
      08-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Go drive the M3 before you start judging about turbos. It isn't even close to any other turbo. Your mission now is to find yourself a dealership that will let you take the car out and drive it properly. You will buy it then and there.
Thank you for sharing your perspective on the new motor. This is my biggest concern and I don't think a single test drive will fully convince me but I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your perspective on the new motor. This is my biggest concern and I don't think a single test drive will fully convince me but I'll give it a try.
Dude trust me, it will. Don't let me find out you bought a German cockroach Porsche before you properly test drove the M3 and were dissatisfied!!!!!!
      08-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #28
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dude trust me, it will. Don't let me find out you bought a German cockroach Porsche before you properly test drove the M3 and were dissatisfied!!!!!!
Let's see if I can get a good drive out of a dealership visit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Also get a good drive out of the Cayman S/GTS. It will leave you speechless with how good it is to drive
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #30
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:

So now my options are

Thoughts?
I would skip the 997. The 991 is impressive but I personally like the mid engine feel on the GTS. I would skip the cayman s if you can swing the cayman GTS since I predict they will cost you the same if you don't plan on keeping it long. I'm guessing the GTS will hold value like the cayman r which is another good choice.

I was considering the Cayman GTS but the up coming gt4 is temping me to sell my r8 for it since I predict it would be more drivers car. So this years combo would include a new M3 since I may need to pick up things and not depend on wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
+1 never assume anything.

I've test driven the 991s, 991 targa4s, 981 cayman, cayman s, cayman GTS, boxster s and GTS. The newer cayman rocks. The 991 is very fast but don't feel confident to its amazing grip therefore for my crappy driving the 981 is faster for me. My point is find a car for you and I hope you post your opinion again after a test drive. Not 100% but you know real quick if you hate the car or just so so. For me the new M3 suits my purpose. If I feel regret I'm trading for the cayman GTS if the GT4 is PDK only.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #32
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Also get a good drive out of the Cayman S/GTS. It will leave you speechless with how good it is to drive
I've driven the cayman s a few times haven't had the chance to test the gts. The cayman is the only car I would ever consider buying with a manual transmission it just suits the car perfectly.

I love the sound, the steering, the response, the handling of the cayman. Just wished it had a bit more power. I'm pretty spoiled coming from an r8 v10 but I don't need to have the fastest car which is why ultimately I'll be happy with the cayman. Just not sure till I get a good run in with the m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #33
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I would skip the 997. The 991 is impressive but I personally like the mid engine feel on the GTS. I would skip the cayman s if you can swing the cayman GTS since I predict they will cost you the same if you don't plan on keeping it long. I'm guessing the GTS will hold value like the cayman r which is another good choice.

I was considering the Cayman GTS but the up coming gt4 is temping me to sell my r8 for it since I predict it would be more drivers car. So this years combo would include a new M3 since I may need to pick up things and not depend on wife's car.
Rumors are swirling about the gt4 being turbocharged. Unless turbo technology has improved to the point where it won't remind me of my boring 335 or laggyness of a older 911 turbo I think I'm going to stick with the Na models.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #34
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
I've driven the cayman s a few times haven't had the chance to test the gts. The cayman is the only car I would ever consider buying with a manual transmission it just suits the car perfectly.

I love the sound, the steering, the response, the handling of the cayman. Just wished it had a bit more power. I'm pretty spoiled coming from an r8 v10 but I don't need to have the fastest car which is why ultimately I'll be happy with the cayman. Just not sure till I get a good run in with the m3.
Agreed on all points. The Cayman S is slightly lacking in power but everything else is top notch. I think you just need something to tie you down till the 2016 R8 comes out
Appreciate 0