BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Child Car Seat Placement

My wife is due on 8/22 with our first child, which may have been conceived doggy-style

We are so excited for our new addition that we cannot even contain ourselves. We are very excited to be parents!!!

Anyway...

We have a 2009 X5 4.8...

Question...For the rear facing car safety seat...is it safe to mount it behind the passenger seat (due to curtain airbags) or must it go in the center?

Thanks in advance!!!

:::Not sure if anybody here would know, but I thought i'd try anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Congrats.

That excitement will last about 3 days after you bring the baby home. Then it's HELL for 3 months.
You can mount it in back behind the front seats. The center is considered safer, but it's a real pain to get the kid out.

Also, I would try to not have anyone sit in back with the baby. It's totally not necessary. I have 3 kids and we've never sat in back with any of them.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You can mount it in back behind the front seats. The center is considered safer, but it's a real pain to get the kid out.
+1 that is where I put mine..

My only advice for you is to have the fire dept install the seat for you.. They really secure that thing down... They told me everyone that thinks they got it in right, has it all wrong..

Anyways a early congrats to you and your wife..
      07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
+1 that is where I put mine..

My only advice for you is to have the fire dept install the seat for you.. They really secure that thing down... They told me everyone that thinks they got it in right, has it all wrong..

Anyways a early congrats to you and your wife..
Ya...there was no way I was going to try to do it myself. I made and appointment at the PD.

I'm just nervous about the Curtain airbags. Do those make it unsafe?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Oh, it's not hard to install seats! Yes you mount it on the side but I don't anymore as of Wed because some douchebag Master Sgt ran a stop sign up on base and almost T-boned me on the side where my son sits needless to say that's the first time I ever flipped out on a senior NCO. I'd rather have to reach further in then have the nose of some jackass' 7 series take my kid out.

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Also, I would try to not have anyone sit in back with the baby. It's totally not necessary. I have 3 kids and we've never sat in back with any of them.
A+ on the advise above. Kids need to learn to calm and entertain themselves. This starts from a young age and one of the ways to do this is not sit back there with them.

As for your question. The safest place to put the child is in the middle. If you are in the majority of weak, fat-ass Americans it will be a bit harder to put the carrier in the base. However, the the side curtain airbags should not impact the carrier. They drop down from the top or the C pillar and usually cover the window.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
JSH
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

We had ours behind the passenger seat. In fact, in my opinion it should be behind either driver or passenger because the anchors in the rear seats are designed for that placement. We only put it in the middle if we have 2 extra adult passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

One more thing. If you installed the seat and your not sweating a little... you likely installed it wrong. Make sure you go to the PD so they can show you how to install the seat PROPERLY.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0