BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

08-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

NBC: Heterosexuality Is Not Working

While men stew in their mess, women are rising. They are taking back control of their lives and their bodies and they are questioning the foundation of the patriarchy — heterosexuality — that has kept them blindly subordinate for centuries.

Women, on the other hand, are increasingly realizing not only that they don’t need heterosexuality, but that it also is often the bedrock of their global oppression.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...er-ncna1042931

Oh thank you NBC for this gem.. Normally I would expect this level of libtart comedy to come from Vox, Huffington Post, or Vice but God damn NBC you are taking the lead now.

Now the writer and oh imagine my shock

Marcie Bianco is a writer and an editor living in California. She is columnist at the Women’s Media Center, and her writing can be found both online and in print at outlets like NBC Think, Pacific Standard, Quartz, Rolling Stone, Salon, Vanity Fair, and Vox
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

The opinion piece makes some points that the current status quo isn't working for a lot of women. And the having heterosexuality be the status quo isn't working for them. Too bad you can't handle people having different opinions than you and that you have to be insulting when bringing up such opinions.
Appreciate 2
minn195902.00
Now_Rudi6318.00

08-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

'
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
SakhirM49601.50
Poiseuille3159.50
Wolf 335956.50
Run Silent12334.50
Now_Rudi6318.00
DieselOG1215.00
David0ff829.50
MKSixer15498.50

08-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
The opinion piece makes some points that the current status quo isn't working for a lot of women. And the having heterosexuality be the status quo isn't working for them. Too bad you can't handle people having different opinions than you and that you have to be insulting when bringing up such opinions.
Well known..many sources out there the LGBT community is at risk for suicide at a rate of 2 times to 4.5 times non LGBT community. Apparently it isn't working real well for them..or maybe it is in the final analysis.

Funny how you down folks only to see ( well you never will see) that your philosophies are many times fcked up.
Appreciate 6
City Pig6102.00
Poiseuille3159.50
MKSixer15498.50
Wolf 335956.50
Now_Rudi6318.00
phoenx162.00

08-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Which is why the unhappiness rate in unmarried no child women are so freaking high.

Pssh let me give you insight into marriage life, the women always control the buying power which is why so many ads are focus on women demographic so who really being oppress?
Appreciate 3
Poiseuille3159.50
MKSixer15498.50
scostu1134.50

08-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

fortunately, we've been able to find a pic of Ms Bianco from just a few years ago==>
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
N54Yankee1634.50
MKSixer15498.50

08-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
I checked her LinkedIn profile, quite full of herself. She lives in a bubble of the same kind of people so believes what she is surrounded in is what the rest of the world is.

The world I live in is highly educated, mostly married with kids people married multiple years and even decades......seemingly happy. I could write an article claiming homosexuality was just a fad and everyone came to their senses based on my world view.....just another clickbait article.

More power to her, that’s how she earns a living. I guess in some sense she is trying to subvert culture. However, biology tends to be stronger than cultural designs.
Appreciate 5
City Pig6102.00
MKSixer15498.50
Poiseuille3159.50
scostu1134.50

08-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Seems nearly all of the links I could find says pretty much the same. Seems Marcie there should rethink her lesbian lifestyle because it works even less then heterosexual relationships. Seems with her peculiar thinking she might want to stay out of relationships all together.
http://www.divorcesaloon.com/2017/04...-for-lesbians/
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille3159.50
MKSixer15498.50

08-29-2019, 12:00 AM   #9
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Well known..many sources out there the LGBT community is at risk for suicide at a rate of 2 times to 4.5 times non LGBT community. Apparently it isn't working real well for them..or maybe it is in the final analysis.

Funny how you down folks only to see ( well you never will see) that your philosophies are many times fcked up.
Why do you think that is? Is it because they have selected a lifestyle that is unfulfilling, depressing, and thus makes them suicidal? Or is it because they live a lifestyle that subjects them to hate and ridicule?

From the Trevor Project:

- LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.

- Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/res...about-suicide/

So maybe with a little more compassion and understanding, those numbers would come down.
Appreciate 3
Delta03117354.50
MKSixer15498.50
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Oppressed my ass being gay is turning into a fad like a mullet or Jean's jacket all the kids are doing it. Its so brave to be what is being championed all over the damn place.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer15498.50
Poiseuille3159.50
Now_Rudi6318.00

08-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Why do you think that is? Is it because they have selected a lifestyle that is unfulfilling, depressing, and thus makes them suicidal? Or is it because they live a lifestyle that subjects them to hate and ridicule?

From the Trevor Project:

- LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.

- Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/res...about-suicide/

So maybe with a little more compassion and understanding, those numbers would come down.
I understand and appreciate what you are saying and 100% agree with the last statement.

The place where I depart is the following:

How do you tell a person is gay?

It is strictly behavioral in all ways and not all gay people have the same experience. I have a first cousin that's gay and has been in a monogamous relationship for decades. She dresses conservatively and comports herself like a lady at all times. Unless she's with her partner, no one knows she is gay. When they are out together, they comport themselves just like any other loving couple. No massive PDAs but holding hands and hanging out with each other.

Contrast this with the person who is "out" and puts it in everyone's face, does things that would be inappropriate for any couple, gay or straight in public, and makes a point of putting their orientation in everyone's face. I have a former friend who does this. We aren't friends any more because in a drunken stupor he engaged in inappropriate behavior with several people at a formal dinner. It was embarrassing in the extreme, he was unrepentant and said we just had to deal with it. No. We don't.

Bad Behavior is just that bad behavior, no matter the sexual orientation. Being Boorish is being boorish, no matter the sexual orientation.

Being an ass to make a point is just being an ass and rarely gets the point across.

So again, I ask: How do you tell a person is gay?

Flamesuit on.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 6
N54Yankee1634.50
Poiseuille3159.50
Now_Rudi6318.00
SakhirM49601.50
arkie6348.00

08-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Why do you think that is? Is it because they have selected a lifestyle that is unfulfilling, depressing, and thus makes them suicidal? .
Yes.

Reject modernity. Embrace tradition.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille3159.50

08-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

From the article: "Historically, women have been conditioned to believe that heterosexuality is natural or innate, just as they have been conditioned to believe that their main purpose is to make babies — and if they fail to do so, they are condemned as not “real,” or as bad, women."

This got to be some of the biggest non sense statements out there. That author is simply, how can i put this nicely...a c#nt.
Last time I checked men has penises and women had vaginas for the sole purpose of reproduction. So yes heterosexuality in natural.
Appreciate 4
DonaldPump6082.00
Poiseuille3159.50
SakhirM49601.50
xander_g712.50

08-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Last time I checked men has penises and women had vaginas for the sole purpose of reproduction. So yes heterosexuality in natural.
The year is 2045.

“Sir, you just committed thoughtcrime. Please admit both your children, yourself, and your wife to the closest state funded LGBT pride center for mandatory training. Upon completion, your wages will be restored upon a 30 day probationary period assuming you can raise your social credit score at least 2 points.”

Reject modernity. Embrace tradition.

Last edited by DonaldPump; 08-29-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille3159.50
Now_Rudi6318.00

08-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Wow. An opinion piece contained some controversial, even dubious, claims?

That's gotta be a first, right?
Appreciate 1
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I understand and appreciate what you are saying and 100% agree with the last statement.

The place where I depart is the following:

How do you tell a person is gay?

It is strictly behavioral in all ways and not all gay people have the same experience. I have a first cousin that's gay and has been in a monogamous relationship for decades. She dresses conservatively and comports herself like a lady at all times. Unless she's with her partner, no one knows she is gay. When they are out together, they comport themselves just like any other loving couple. No massive PDAs but holding hands and hanging out with each other.

Contrast this with the person who is "out" and puts it in everyone's face, does things that would be inappropriate for any couple, gay or straight in public, and makes a point of putting their orientation in everyone's face. I have a former friend who does this. We aren't friends any more because in a drunken stupor he engaged in inappropriate behavior with several people at a formal dinner. It was embarrassing in the extreme, he was unrepentant and said we just had to deal with it. No. We don't.

Bad Behavior is just that bad behavior, no matter the sexual orientation. Being Boorish is being boorish, no matter the sexual orientation.

Being an ass to make a point is just being an ass and rarely gets the point across.

So again, I ask: How do you tell a person is gay?

Flamesuit on.
MK, what you are describing is simply social behavioral traits and has nothing to do with ones sexual preference. In a one on one convo, no one would know your cousin is gay or straight, anymore than they would know if she's Republican, or buddhist, or likes broccoli. She's "out" yet elects to carry on in public like an average human being. The other "out" scenario you describe is in my mind no different that some pumped up frat boy walking around talking about banging him some bitches.

To your final question of how do you tell if someone is gay? All I can do is respond with a question. Why does it matter? Who cares? Why do you need to identify if they are gay or not anymore than you need to determine if they are country music fans or not. They're gay, you're not, so unless you are considering them a target for your affections or you feel the need to modify your behavior in some way based on their preferences, their sexual preference really shouldn't be a topic of concern. Do you feel it's important that we are able to identify who is gay and who isn't and if so, to what end?

Last edited by DETRoadster; 08-29-2019 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 4
vtown56.00
MKSixer15498.50
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #17
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
From the article: "Historically, women have been conditioned to believe that heterosexuality is natural or innate, just as they have been conditioned to believe that their main purpose is to make babies — and if they fail to do so, they are condemned as not “real,” or as bad, women."

This got to be some of the biggest non sense statements out there. That author is simply, how can i put this nicely...a c#nt.
That part is true, and it's not just women - though they definitely get the brunt of it.

Look no further than this thread for examples:

https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1647428
Appreciate 2
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
MK, what you are describing is simply social behavioral traits and has nothing to do with ones sexual preference. In a one on one convo, no one would know your cousin is gay or straight, anymore than they would know if she's Republican, or buddhist, or likes broccoli. She's "out" yet elects to carry on in public like an average human being. The other "out" scenario you describe is in my mind no different that some pumped up frat boy walking around talking about banging him some bitches.

To your final question of how do you tell if someone is gay? All I can do is respond with a question. Why does it matter? Who cares? Why do you need to identify if they are gay or not anymore than you need to determine if they are country music fans or not. They're gay, you're not, so unless you are considering them a target for your affections or you feel the need to modify your behavior in some way based on their preferences, their sexual preference really shouldn't be a topic of concern. Do you feel it's important that we are able to identify who is gay and who isn't and if so, to what end?
This is a great response and leads me to my next statement that has been very controversial when I have this discussion IRL. Then why are they afforded the same protections as minorities? I can clearly be seen as a minority. My skin is a different hue. My hair is different. What are the distinguishing characteristics that denote someone is gay? This is a very controversial topic within minority communities...especially the ones that have taken the brunt of the racism/discrimination (which is greatly reduced before anyone jumps on that train) historically in this country.

Not saying it's a choice. Acknowledging that it's a difficult path to take. But not at all like being a pheno/geno-typically identifiable minority.

It's always great having these discussions with you!!

Cheers-mk

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #19
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is a great response and leads me to my next statement that has been very controversial when I have this discussion IRL. Then why are they afforded the same protections as minorities? I can clearly be seen as a minority. My skin is a different hue. My hair is different. What are the distinguishing characteristics that denote someone is gay? This is a very controversial topic within minority communities...especially the ones that have taken the brunt of the racism/discrimination (which is greatly reduced before anyone jumps on that train) historically in this country.

Not saying it's a choice. Acknowledging that it's a difficult path to take. But not at all like being a pheno/geno-typically identifiable minority.

It's always great having these discussions with you!!

Cheers-mk
Great discussion indeed. It's these real moments of genuine human interaction and mutual respect that make slogging through the rest of it worth it to me.

Your next question is exceptional. Now we are getting to a juicy discussion. This in many ways hinges on whether you believe (like i do) that being gay is just something you are born with and can't change any more than you can change your skin color or your genetic makeup.

So by my logic, yes, gays should be afforded protections on par with you as a man of color or with my late cousin who had Downs Syndrome. Neither you, nor my cousin, nor your cousin can change what I truly believe to be genetic.

Now, if you believe being gay is a choice that you can turn on or off based on you mood that day, the question becomes more complex. Wouldn't then a gay person be on par with someone of faith? Can I not decide to be Christian or Buddhist? Do I not then have protections under the law against discrimination based on something I can decide as opposed to my genetic composition?
Appreciate 3
MKSixer15498.50
minn195902.00
vtown56.00

08-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #20
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Great discussion indeed. It's these real moments of genuine human interaction and mutual respect that make slogging through the rest of it worth it to me.

Your next question is exceptional. Now we are getting to a juicy discussion. This in many ways hinges on whether you believe (like i do) that being gay is just something you are born with and can't change any more than you can change your skin color or your genetic makeup.

So by my logic, yes, gays should be afforded protections on par with you as a man of color or with my late cousin who had Downs Syndrome. Neither you, nor my cousin, nor your cousin can change what I truly believe to be genetic.

Now, if you believe being gay is a choice that you can turn on or off based on you mood that day, the question becomes more complex. Wouldn't then a gay person be on par with someone of faith? Can I not decide to be Christian or Buddhist? Do I not then have protections under the law against discrimination based on something I can decide as opposed to my genetic composition?
Well said!

I believe that it's hardwired for a very specific reason by nature.

Here is why, in my first post, I said everything (operationally) involved in "being gay" is behavioral just as everything involved in "being heterosexual" is behavioral.

My overarching point is this: There are no visible distinctions to one being homosexual but for the attraction to a same sex partner. This is untrue for minorities or other atypical pheno/genotypes whom I think should be afforded certain protections. To say that being gay or homosexual is the same as being one of the other aforementioned minorities is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. If I am dressed in the same Hugo Boss suit as a gay person and we both walk into a room simultaneously, I am clearly and easily identified as a minority...they would not be but for behavior.

Again, great conversation!!

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well said!

I believe that it's hardwired for a very specific reason by nature.

Here is why, in my first post, I said everything (operationally) involved in "being gay" is behavioral just as everything involved in "being heterosexual" is behavioral.

My overarching point is this: There are no visible distinctions to one being homosexual but for the attraction to a same sex partner. This is untrue for minorities or other atypical pheno/genotypes whom I think should be afforded certain protections. To say that being gay or homosexual is the same as being one of the other aforementioned minorities is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. If I am dressed in the same Hugo Boss suit as a gay person and we both walk into a room simultaneously, I am clearly and easily identified as a minority...they would not be but for behavior.

Again, great conversation!!
Are you then saying that people of religious faith do not need or deserve the same protections from discrimination? I can't tell your religious beliefs by looking at you, unless of course you choose to express them visually (ie Orthodox Jew, priest, etc.).
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15498.50
minn195902.00

08-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Are you then saying that people of religious faith do not need or deserve the same protections from discrimination? I can't tell your religious beliefs by looking at you, unless of course you choose to express them visually (ie Orthodox Jew, priest, etc.).
Not at all. I was confining my comment to my original comparison. Religion opens a different can of worms which would make posting here our respective full-time jobs.

Appreciate 1