BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
trillyUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 D4

E61 successful Carplay install (Andream)

After reading and seeing a YouTube video (link) went ahead and ordered the Andream Carplay touchscreen Headunit rather than the MMI box. Overall pleased with the result although some hurdles along the way.

Went for the screen rather than the MMI box so had touchscreen as well. However, this means there is not the curved screen reflector and glare is quite bad. Other users have put some anti-glare film over the screen to reduce it. Audio quality is fine and functionality superb for what it cost, approx $230/£210. As my E61, recently purchased, didn't have bluetooth but the fixed phone in the centre console this was a cheap way of getting hands free phone in and bringing the tech' upto date in the car.

My Andream unit was supplied to support the CCC iDrive but sent with a CIC cable. I queried this with the seller and although they were not a 100% sure it would work it has without any issue.

Can't say recommend the seller but I can recommend the unit. Now contemplating whether to get another unit for my F32.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillyUK View Post
After reading and seeing a YouTube video (link) went ahead and ordered the Andream Carplay touchscreen Headunit rather than the MMI box. Overall pleased with the result although some hurdles along the way.

Went for the screen rather than the MMI box so had touchscreen as well. However, this means there is not the curved screen reflector and glare is quite bad. Other users have put some anti-glare film over the screen to reduce it. Audio quality is fine and functionality superb for what it cost, approx $230/£210. As my E61, recently purchased, didn't have bluetooth but the fixed phone in the centre console this was a cheap way of getting hands free phone in and bringing the tech' upto date in the car.

My Andream unit was supplied to support the CCC iDrive but sent with a CIC cable. I queried this with the seller and although they were not a 100% sure it would work it has without any issue.

Can't say recommend the seller but I can recommend the unit. Now contemplating whether to get another unit for my F32.

I went the MMI route and a CIC retrofit and it works very well. Everything looks OEM and original and CarPlay works well. CarPlay works very similar to how it works on iDrive 7. I can seamlessly switch from BMW screen to CarPlay when selected. All MMI functions work with the iDrive and steering wheel buttons. On the E60, I feel that the screen is set too far back for comfortable use with a touch-screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
WOT48
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Does it come with a backup camera?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT48 View Post
Does it come with a backup camera?
Mine came with both a back-up camera and Front Camera.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
WOT48
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweine View Post
Mine came with both a back-up camera and Front Camera.
Cool! I'll check it out thanks.
Appreciate 0