BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #67
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Everything in moderation. Routinely drinking 1+ soft drinks every day is terrible for one's health. It doesn't matter if it's sugar or artificial sweetened. It's not just cancer one should be worried about. You've got:

- Stomach/gut issues
- Hearth issues
- Increased craving for sweets which then leads to diabetes
- Obesity
- Increased stroke risk
- Bone density loss
- Tooth decay
- Sleep issues
- Kills sense of taste and smell thus heavy drinkers tend to stick to unhealthy sweet, salty, and fatty diets.

Everyone I've know that drinks soft drinks on a daily basis is not healthy. They're typically overweight or skinny fat, tired all the time, don't exercise, etc. Their bodies though. However, all of us pay for it in the end with increased health care costs because of their bad health decisions.
      07-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #68
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Everything in moderation. Drinking 1+ soft drinks is terrible for one's health. It doesn't matter if it's sugar or artificial sweetened. It's not just cancer one should be worried about. You've got:

- Stomach/gut issues
- Hearth issues
- Obesity
- Increased stroke risk
- Bone density loss
- Tooth decay
- Sleep issues

Everyone I've know that drinks soft drinks on a daily basis is not healthy. They're typically overweight or skinny fat, tired all the time, don't exercise, etc. Their bodies though. However, all of us pay for it in the end with increased health care costs because of their bad health decisions.
That's questionable. I know people that if sweets caused diabetes would have critically high A1C's; they don't.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #69
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
That's questionable. I know people that if sweets caused diabetes would have critically high A1C's; they don't.
Eating a lot of sweets tends to make you fat. Obesity is a proven contributor to Type 2 diabetes.
M2siast5876.00
M5Rick60060.50
      07-14-2023, 08:27 AM   #70
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
What a surprise
Appreciate 2
Esteban43745.00
Donatello.1083.50
      07-19-2023, 08:49 PM   #71
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Better than booze...
Speak for yourself.

I cut out soda a long long time ago. You won't take my whiskey & vodka from me.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:34 PM   #72
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Everything in moderation. Routinely drinking 1+ soft drinks every day is terrible for one's health. It doesn't matter if it's sugar or artificial sweetened. It's not just cancer one should be worried about. You've got:

- Stomach/gut issues
- Hearth issues
- Obesity
- Increased stroke risk
- Bone density loss
- Tooth decay
- Sleep issues
- Kills sense of taste and smell thus heavy drinkers tend to stick to unhealthy sweet, salty, and fatty diets.

I mean, I'd like to agree with you, but I can't because I know better. Everything on your list is possible, sure, but it's not a collective guarantee, and if you don't know anyone that's fit that drinks pop every day you simply don't know very many fit people.

I'm not going to die on that hill, think what you want, but your list is worst case scenario, and not realistic based on drinking soda alone.

Pop over alcohol 10/10.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:09 PM   #73
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I mean, I'd like to agree with you, but I can't because I know better. Everything on your list is possible, sure, but it's not a collective guarantee, and if you don't know anyone that's fit that drinks pop every day you simply don't know very many fit people.

I'm not going to die on that hill, think what you want, but your list is worst case scenario, and not realistic based on drinking soda alone.

Pop over alcohol 10/10.
Alcohol makes life more fun. What sort of "high" can soda do outside of a sugar crash?

We are all going to die. Die a bit sooner happier or die later a bit miserable because you didn't have certain things for no reason at the end of the day. YOLO!

YMMV so don't bother attacking me.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #74
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Alcohol makes life more fun. What sort of "high" can soda do outside of a sugar crash?

We are all going to die. Die a bit sooner happier or die later a bit miserable because you didn't have certain things for no reason at the end of the day. YOLO!

YMMV so don't bother attacking me.

You'll have to forgive me, I've never had a high, or a buzz, I've never had any drugs or alcohol of any kind...but I'm getting along just fine IMO .

I agree about doing what you want to be happier. Proof is in the fact that the doctors never tell you that taking statins for 5 years will prolong your life just 10 days. Good thing they have that medical degree. There are a lot of things like that out there, better to do what you want in moderation and not live quite as long IMO.

But anyway, not attacking anyone!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
      07-20-2023, 01:31 PM   #75
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, I've never had a high, or a buzz, I've never had any drugs or alcohol of any kind...but I'm getting along just fine IMO .

I agree about doing what you want to be happier. Proof is in the fact that the doctors never tell you that taking statins for 5 years will prolong your life just 10 days. Good thing they have that medical degree. There are a lot of things like that out there, better to do what you want in moderation and not live quite as long IMO.

Ya, I'm the same, ok, not as clean-cut as you, I have the rare drink every now and then and it does nothing for me (the alcohol w/i, not the drink as a whole, is nasty, right, so I'll never get it), never smoked or did drugs.

I like your philosophy and it's crazy watching ppl count every calorie, etc...does it really matter in the end or will it probably end up like in your example of a whoopie-do extra 10 days? LOL. I suppose this goes for money too, ppl save like crazy, and end up dying just to bequeath to their descendants, never really having lived. That's not the way to do things imho.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      07-20-2023, 01:31 PM   #76
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
..There are a lot of things like that out there, better to do what you want in moderation and not live quite as long IMO.

I used to think that and ate just what I wanted; a lot of red meat, moderately. Job stress may have had something to do with it, though I felt I handles the stress well. Then I had a heart attack and according to my cardiologist there was no medical reason I was alive (I had 100% blockage in my left main artery) and should have been dead at 61. I'm now just over 5 years old and feel fine (yeah, I take a few prescriptions).

There are factors other than what is ingested that can lead to health problems.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      07-20-2023, 04:46 PM   #77
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I used to think that and ate just what I wanted...
I'm not advocating that at all, I'm a bit supporter of moderation, and exercise as well as resistance training.

Quote:
Job stress may have had something to do with it, though I felt I handled the stress well.
The monumental effect that stress has on the body cannot be overstated IMO. It's true that it's one factor, but it's massive.

Quote:
There are factors other than what is ingested that can lead to health problems.
Absolutely, but I'm calling what we eat as 85% of the Four Horsemen.
Appreciate 0