BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #67
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Both cars do not have similar performance. If you drive them back to back, you'd understand - the Porsche is much more involving and balanced. You're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing numbers on paper is not driving. A shotgun and a sniper rifle may do the same damage as a weapon but the way they do it is way different.

No, the Porsche event was not an autocross, we drove them at Thunderhill Raceway in a lead-follow format.

Yeah, Porsche's torque vectoring a la GT-R to help it turn makes the driving experience more involving. Lol

The 911's rear engine setup doesn't make it well balanced. Physics, my friend.
They use electronics to make it work, not the purest driving experience.

The Cayman/Boxter is actually more fun to drive than a 911.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #68
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
The 991 s is slower even with the DCT.
Huh? But the M4 is considerably slower, unless the M4 is actually on the left, and not right?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #69
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Yeah, Porsche's torque vectoring a la GT-R to help it turn makes the driving experience more involving. Lol

The Cayman/Boxter is actually more fun to drive than a 911.

You realize performance are numbers, right?
You can turn it all off...

I agree with you that I enjoy driving the Cayman and Boxster better and I'd get a Cayman over a 911. But that doesn't make the 911 less special.

No, performance is not numbers. It's the driving experience. But in the M4 vs 991.2 S example, the numbers are much better for the 911.
      12-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #70
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetFame View Post
Huh? But the M4 is considerably slower, unless the M4 is actually on the left, and not right?
The M4 is on the left, yes the Porsche is considerably slower. Thank-you!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Attached Images

Last edited by The Choosey begger; 12-29-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #71
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You can turn it all off...

I agree with you that I enjoy driving the Cayman and Boxster better and I'd get a Cayman over a 911. But that doesn't make the 911 less special.

No, performance is not numbers. It's the driving experience. But in the M4 vs 991.2 S example, the numbers are much better for the 911.

Without PASM and advance torque vectoring, it's not balanced. You dont want the engine hanging behind the rear axle like a Corvair.
You're the only person i came across who thinks a car that uses torque vectoring like a GT-R is more involving.
Really laughable!

A balanced car like a Miata or E36 M3 doesn't need all that crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #72
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

S14? Never cared for those cars even in high school.

Drifting? Never cared for that scene either. Even when Chris Harris does it haha

Corvettes, mustangs, and Camaros are great deals for their performance abilities. look at how well they perform in all of their tests. Even the automatic Camaro LT1 is mind blowingly fast... still I would never own one no matter how much faster it is than more expensive cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #73
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

I got a notice of 10% off on parts/merchandise.....BOOWHOOO!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #74
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, just really wanted to use this gif.

911's are a bitch to drift, not as linear as an M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #75
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
S14? Never cared for those cars even in high school.

Drifting? Never cared for that scene either. Even when Chris Harris does it haha

Corvettes, mustangs, and Camaros are great deals for their performance abilities. look at how well they perform in all of their tests. Even the automatic Camaro LT1 is mind blowingly fast... still I would never own one no matter how much faster it is than more expensive cars.

Something we both agree on.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      12-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #76
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

Everything is subjective. Doesn't matter what you think or feel is important as long as it makes you happy. Numbers are meaningless to someone who could care less for them, while they mean everything to someone trying to prove a point.

The only thing consistent with cars is change. Just pick your niche.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #77
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everything is subjective. Doesn't matter what you think or feel is important as long as it makes you happy. Numbers are meaningless to someone who could care less for them, while they mean everything to someone trying to prove a point.

The only thing consistent with cars is change. Just pick your niche.
I agree, the 911 s is not 2x the sports car tho like some here think. They're comparable.
If you and i went to the track (not dragstrip) , you had a 911s and i had an M4 , both cars on RE-71R's. it'll come down to who's the better driver.

What i like about the M cars from my E46 M3 to my M4, how neutral they are and easy to drive with the electronics turned off. They're very predictable, linear and easy to recover when they get sideways.

The 911 is also an old man's car like a Corvette. Hahaha i know that's subjective.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #78
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

That video with that guy's voice and that music just makes me think the 911 is so much cooler!

Quote:
Something we both agree on.
Even if the Camaro is faster than the M4, it's still in a different league.

Quote:
I agree, the 911 s is not 2x the sports car tho like some here think. They're comparable.

The 911 is also an old man's car like a Corvette. Hahaha i know that's subjective.
I do not think the 911s is twice the sports car. I just think they are different cars. The 911 has a prestige that the M4 does not. Therefore, any true believers have a 911 Porsche soul talking to them. I guess you aren't a believer and cannot hear it speak to you.

Eww - don't compare the 911 to a Corvette! One generation old Corvettes are for people who have mullets, cut off sleeve Nascar shirts, and wear Wrangler Jeans.

For those people to drive a porsche, they just drive 996 Porsches. 993 and earlier - nope. 997 and present - nope.

Definitely not comparable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #79
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Without PASM and advance torque vectoring, it's not balanced. You dont want the engine hanging behind the rear axle like a Corvair.
You're the only person i came across who thinks a car that uses torque vectoring like a GT-R is more involving.
Really laughable!

A balanced car like a Miata or E36 M3 doesn't need all that crap.
As I said, you can turn it off. I've driven 911s with everything off. It's not a night and day experience as you're saying. It pretty much handles the same just without the nannies to keep you from killing yourself. The chassis design and balance is excellent. The whole point of the 991 generation is that the longer wheelbase means the engine is more mid center than previous generations.

I always drive my own cars without traction control and stability control off on track and all my cars have manual transmissions - so no, I don't prefer assistance. Hell, none of my cars even had traction control until the M3!
      12-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #80
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

His avatar is an E90 on the track. He means business!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #81
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
His avatar is an E90 on the track. He means business!
Not ZCP though...

Not sure if I can take him serious. It's like getting weight loss and gym advice from someone as fat and out of shape as me, haha.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #82
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

LOLOL!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #83
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Having been to PCA meets, i can say that most Porsche owners run a parallel line to most corvette owners. Only in the aspect in which they are completely oblivious to the fact that their cars are NOT God's gift to motoring.

I was surprised to get lambasted a while back when proclaiming that the M3/4 is a far better daily driver than any 911. But after driving the GTS for a week, i'd get back into the E92 and just be happier. Then a week would go by and i'd get excited to driver the GTS. Only to become more and more disappointed with the experience faster and faster.

The only Porsche i'll ever own would be either a Cayman or GT3. But i'd only want the GT3 for track duty and i highly doubt i'll be in the position to have a GT3 as a track toy.
      12-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #84
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Having been to MTB meets, i can say that most Yeti owners run a parallel line to most Specialized owners. Only in the aspect in which they are completely oblivious to the fact that their bikes are NOT God's gift to biking.
Makes sense.

So you owned a 911 GTS and a M3/M4 at the same time?

M3 > M4 > 911 for daily driving if you ever need to haul anything other than yourself.

If I was rich and single. GT3 would be a daily driver. Bumpy and stiff suspension? No cares given when I look out the rear view mirror and see a huge wing. No cares given when I see 8000+ redline looking forward. If the GT3 had vtec like InternetFame loves so much, it would be god's gift to everyone.
Appreciate 3
      12-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #85
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense.

M3 > M4 > 911 for daily driving if you ever need to haul anything other than yourself.

If I was rich and single. GT3 would be a daily driver. Bumpy and stiff suspension? No cares given when I look out the rear view mirror and see a huge wing. No cares given when I see 8000+ redline looking forward. If the GT3 had vtec like InternetFame loves so much, it would be god's gift to everyone.
OMG I CAN'T EVEN *jizz*
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #86
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Makes sense.

Yes, 2012 Guards Red GTS4. Daily drive means different things to different people i guess. If i lived in the mountains and could drive to and from work on off hours, sure, a tight sports car with less compliant suspension would be fine. It should be noted that i have full coil over suspension with Koni adjustable, sway bars and camber plates in the M3. Immensely more comfortable than the 911 in terms of seating, ergonomics, convenience and suspension. That car inspired confidence when driving it. Super predictable, felt anchored to the ground in corners, there was an obviously liner progression from 2/10 to 9/10 of it's capabilities. In the 911 it felt like it was either 4/10 and below or 8/10 and above. No middle ground. You had to go balls out into the corner on faith or just putz your way though it slowly. Not ideal for street driving.

But daily for me involves more typical commuting and MUCH more in and out of the vehicle between short trips, here and there. Getting in and out of the 911, left side key, so many fucking buttons to push to get the setting back to where they were 6 min ago when you shut the car off. Don't get me started on that POS PDK tranny either. Again, on the track, PDK is undoubtedly good. My kind of daily driving, not so much.

I don't know what the fuck was wrong with that 911 but my RRS inspires as much cornering confidence as that car did. Like i said, i'll fully concede that there was something wrong with it but Porsche said there wasn't anything wrong and all the crazy shit it did was part of it's "character". We only had it for a year and dumped it on some guy who was infatuated with Porsche. Which pretty much describes most people who have them. The pine after them for years, finally get one and because they've built it up so much over the years, the convince themselves that the car is perfect and become a life long fanboi. I'd say about 95% of 911 owners i've met are not driving enthusiast, they are Porsche enthusiasts.

Edit: The pic is in response to your quote. The SIZE of the pic is because you made it seem as if i was blaspheming about the Lord's favorite MTB.

PoorLurker1136.50
      12-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #87
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense.

The GT3 will be a good car for ya, it requires no skills, not only it has torque vectoring, the rear wheels change toe in a turn to help with your lines. Lol

Maybe the next one will be autonomous and lap the track for ya.

The E36 M3 on TCKlines, lightweight wheels, sticky tires would be more of a driver's car in my humble opinion.

The GT3 does sound amazing tho and puts down some amazing times, I'll give you that.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #88
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep

These last few posts have been very humoring!
Appreciate 0