BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Closed Thread

09-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I only do it because I'm thirsty a lot!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #46
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I don't think it's good for your health if you have a family history of Schizophrenia.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Now how long will it take for someone to invent an electronic joint similar to an electronic cigarette?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #48
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Now how long will it take for someone to invent an electronic joint similar to an electronic cigarette?
I think a vaporizer is pretty close to what you are looking for.
      09-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #49
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I think a vaporizer is pretty close to what you are looking for.
Can you walk around with one held between your fingers? No question, though, the vaporizer's functionality is one part of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #50
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Can you walk around with one held between your fingers? No question, though, the vaporizer's functionality is one part of it.
here you go

09-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #51
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

I'd prefer the pen sized vapes for larger storage and discreteness. Looks like you're just biting on your pen.

09-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #52
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
here you go

[video deleted]
Does it, like the electronic cigs, leave no smell too? Not that it has to, but I am curious.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #53
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does it, like the electronic cigs, leave no smell too? Not that it has to, but I am curious.
The vapes i'm use to only leave a very mild herbal smell and rarely visible vapor. Its when I really box an enclosed area for a whole day of sessions that the room starts smelling a bit funny, but nothing close to even a puff of mj or cigarette in an enclosed area.
      09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #54
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Well I've had two of my closest friends go through periods when they were addicted. By addicted I mean they went from just smoking on the weekends with friends to smoking by themselves multiple times a day.

Their social circles changed, they had money problems, trouble at work etc. It became hard to hang out with them because every conversation and every activity revolves around it.

They eventually both overcame it. One friend now has a family and no longer smokes. The other still smokes just much MUCH less.

Those are just two of my friends. I know half a dozen people that I went to high school with that just became burn outs and still live like that. Some move on to bigger drugs, some just do nothing all day and spend their lives trying to get high.

We don't want to classify all addictions as being equal. Caffeine is a stimulant. Marijuana is a hallucinogenic that affects perception. Alcohol is a depressant that affects judgement. There's a reason you can drive on the effects of coffee but you shouldn't on the effects of weed or alcohol.

Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
I'm really sorry to hear that two of your closest friends got addicted. I've been thru some "pothead" stages too where I would wake and bake and carry on till it was sleepy time for a month straight, ok maybe 3 months. My best excuse for that is quite simple, I really had nothing better to do at the time and mj just made everything a tad more interesting and entertaining. The good old quote of "but have you tried doing ..... on weed?" I've known a handful of potheads thru out the years but you also have to accept that some people are just naturally "burn outs" and never strive to achieve anything. Some people like to just chill and be free rather than push push push all the time. I understand your legitimate argument for mj being an addictive drug and I do feel some people are genuinely addicted to it but only a very very small % classify as a true addiction.

Here I go advocating again. Sorry guys.
      09-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #55
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Someone else had mentioned that they didn't think smoking twice a day was addicted. Ask yourself if someone needed to get drunk twice a day, would we consider them to have a problem.
You can't compare marijuana with alcohol. Alcohol impairs you much more than marijuana could. Also you have to look at tolerance. Somebody that has never smoked marijuana before would have alot stronger effects from it than somebody who is more experienced with it. Some people you wouldn't even be able to tell that they had just smoked weed, and you can still be productive even after consuming larger amounts of cannabis. You can't really say the same about alcohol. You can actually be more productive using cannabis than you would be without. For example washing dishes or manual labor are much more enjoyable with a little bit of Mary Jane.

I do see your point in how it could effect people negatively as it is a drug. I have seen it make some people irresponsible, but I think it mainly depends on how responsible you are to begin with, or how mature you are. It is natural and as far as we can tell, it is a safe drug, but it is still a drug. That means that some of the people that use it are people that do drugs. I'm talking about hard drugs like meth, heroin, crack, and others. These types of people do not care about their health or their life, and should be avoided.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #56
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Tolerence develops with any drug. Being able to have more and function isn't a good thing. Lots of alcoholics can't funtion as well without, that's because they are alcoholics. Same goes for almost any drug. Your also restating the natural fallacy. Whether something occurs in nature has no bearing on whether it is good for you or not. Too much of anything is bad for you. Too much water can kill you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #57
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Some people you wouldn't even be able to tell that they had just smoked weed, and you can still be productive even after consuming larger amounts of cannabis. You can't really say the same about alcohol. You can actually be more productive using cannabis than you would be without. For example washing dishes or manual labor are much more enjoyable with a little bit of Mary Jane.
The Mad Men from the 50's would same the same thing about "a little scotch" or "a little brandy". They also had better tolerances to it, since they drank all the time and could function on it. Their jobs were "much more enjoyable" with a "little drink".

If alcohol was illegal right now, there'd be a guy in here who LOVED to drink making the same points you're making now. "A little wine is shown to have health benefits. Just a little buzz from alcohol makes menial jobs much more enjoyable. My tolerance level is high enough so I could have a few drinks and you wouldn't even know it."

If marijuana is made legal, it will be treated as alcohol. So you should get used to the similarities now and treat it similarly. Just as you wouldn't be respected showing up to a job with a buzz, you won't be respected showing up to a job high. You won't be allowed to drive under the influence of either. You'll be expected to enjoy it responsibly as a mind altering substance. Society isn't going to all of a sudden go "You're right, marijuana isn't harmful at all! You can be high whenever you want, high five!".

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #58
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most plants are good for your health. Pretty much the only thing I could think of that isn't good for you is soy. Maybe sugar in large quantities.

In this case I kind of like having a little bit of a tolerance it makes it more enjoyable because its not as intense after you get used to it a little bit. Its more relaxing I guess.
Your really in denial. I like to drink however, I don't make the jump to thinking getting bombed is good for me. Look up toxic plants, there will be a never ending list. Almost all poisons are from natural sources? Try hemlock or rat poison? Its fine to choose to use marijuana or anything else you want. Its your body. What bugs me is the altered reality your living in where actual evidence is overruled by flawed drug enabling behavior.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #59
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Smoking MJ on a regular basis has been proven to cause neurological changes. Receptors fire slower, memory retention, and there's evidence that it augments the parts of the brain that we think control/define personality. The problem is we know so little about the brain that it's hard to draw conclusions as to whether MJ is either bad or good. There is evidence that it causes blood vessels in the lungs to contract after long-term use but so does smoking and any pollution in general.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Your really in denial. I like to drink however, I don't make the jump to thinking getting bombed is good for me. Look up toxic plants, there will be a never ending list. Almost all poisons are from natural sources? Try hemlock or rat poison? Its fine to choose to use marijuana or anything else you want. Its your body. What bugs me is the altered reality your living in where actual evidence is overruled by flawed drug enabling behavior.
Not in denial I just never researched toxic plants. Thanks for the info though. I'm open minded and always interested in learning something new.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well of course you need to use it responsibly thats basically what I've been saying. You are looking for the negatives too much. You are biased lol.

I believe alcohol should be illegal, but if people choose to use it that is their choice. I do not drink because I know about the health problems it causes, and also most people that drink spend alot of time by the toilet. There is proof that alcohol is harmful. With all the studies that the government has done to show marijuana is harmful they have yet to come up with any real evidence. If I found any real proof that marijuana was harmful, I would stop using it.
I'm acknowledging them, someone has to. When you have people in this thread claiming marijuana smoke "can actually help your lungs because user tend to hold there deep breath longer and that helps increase the capacity of your lungs. I never seen anything saying it can cause cancer", someone has to be a voice of reason and bring us back to reality.

Again, you're going on with "government has tried to show they are harmful...". I just showed you two documents outlining the chemical make-up of marijuana smoke which shows it contains carcinogens. There are plenty of studies on the effects of marijuana use inhibiting learning and brain development. I like how none of that qualifies as "proof" but a youtube documentary is "proof" that it cures cancer. Do you see the double standard? This is what's known as Special Pleading.

To be clear, I don't think marijuana is overly harmful. Definitely, not more harmful than other things people do to themselves. But when you start professing that there are NO NEGATIVE effects at ALL and THAT IT CURES CANCER, you start losing support for your cause.

Marijuana and Alcohol can be dangerous if used irresponsibly. And I believe they should be legal. People should be able to use substances responsibly and assess the risks for themselves.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
The OP is a pot head, so of course he's in denial. He creates the same marijuana thread every few months, standing up on his soap box preaching how marijuana is the cure and the answer for everything from stress to an itchy scalp. The really sad thing is he's actually deluded himself to believe all of it is true.
So this has happened before. My first go round for this topic. I'm in medicine so have some insight. Also had training in drug and alcohol dependence.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #63
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What can I say, I am a modern hippie I guess.

I do not eat fast food, drink alcohol, put any chemicals in or on my body. I try to find natural organic alternatives for everything. I guess cannabis is my natural alternative to alcohol. I know somebody is going to mention the natural fallacy. I admit I did not know about that prior to making this thread. So I guess even this is a learning experience.

Even with the natural fallacy I still think nature is the best source for everything, there are just some things to avoid. Life was very well thought out and we were provided with some very useful plants.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #64
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm acknowledging them, someone has to. When you have people in this thread claiming marijuana smoke "can actually help your lungs because user tend to hold there deep breath longer and that helps increase the capacity of your lungs. I never seen anything saying it can cause cancer", someone has to be a voice of reason and bring us back to reality.

Again, you're going on with "government has tried to show they are harmful...". I just showed you two documents outlining the chemical make-up of marijuana smoke which shows it contains carcinogens. There are plenty of studies on the effects of marijuana use inhibiting learning and brain development. I like how none of that qualifies as "proof" but a youtube documentary is "proof" that it cures cancer. Do you see the double standard? This is what's known as Special Pleading.

To be clear, I don't think marijuana is overly harmful. Definitely, not more harmful than other things people do to themselves. But when you start professing that there are NO NEGATIVE effects at ALL and THAT IT CURES CANCER, you start losing support for your cause.

Marijuana and Alcohol can be dangerous if used irresponsibly. And I believe they should be legal. People should be able to use substances responsibly and assess the risks for themselves.
The only flaw I found in what you showed me is that the cannabis was not organically grown.

I have seen countless stories on the internet about marijuana curing cancer and other ailments. I even showed you a few of them. Not sure if you even looked at any of them but I don't really care if you did. I've done alot of research on cancer, and on marijuana, even the endocannabinoid system. We still do not even really know all the functions of the endocanabinoid system. Why do we have cannabinoids in our body? What is their purpose? Could it be that these are in the body to help us?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #65
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The only flaw I found in what you showed me is that the cannabis was not organically grown.

I have seen countless stories on the internet about marijuana curing cancer and other ailments. I even showed you a few of them. Not sure if you even looked at any of them but I don't really care if you did. I've done alot of research on cancer, and on marijuana, even the endocannabinoid system. We still do not even really know all the functions of the endocanabinoid system. Why do we have cannabinoids in our body? What is their purpose? Could it be that these are in the body to help us?
Again, this is anecdotal evidence. See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

You should first become a skeptic.
You should read up on philosophy and epistemology to understand what "truth" is on how we go about determining what is true.
You should read up on science, understand the peer review system, why it's there and why it's important. Understand that it's a necessary but not sufficient part of the process.
You should read up on claims of ufo's/alien abductions, big foot, etc. Ask yourself if you believe those claims since they are supported primarily by anecdotal evidence.

In order to determine whether or not something is true or reliable (either scientifically or logically), you first need the tools to do so. If you don't acquire these tools, all you can do is leave the work to people who DO have those tools and trust their expert opinion. If you're not comfortable with that, you'll have to put in some work.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #66
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Life is extremely complicated and we do not know exactly how it happened or why we even exist. We know very little about the universe, or consciousness. Some scientists studying string theory say that the universe could be described with computer code. The fact that we are even here today to have this debate is amazing in itself.

Sure humans are smart, but we still know very little about life.
The point I was making was life wasn't "thought out". Nature occurred naturally. All the evidence we have suggests this.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread