BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

BCAA or not?

Hi guys, I wonder what some of you think about taking BCAA before/after workouts and how necessary is this step for someone who takes a post-workout protein shake that already contains over 4g of Glutamine and over 5g of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine?

I understand some may say, take it as a precautionary measure, BCAA’s kick in faster, why not – this stuff is comparatively cheap, etc., etc. , but really do you see any noticeable results in muscle synthesis with and without BCAA’s? To me, if I don’t have to think about another thing to take or time my BCAA intake with my empty stomach, that’s the way to go.

Also, this is not for somebody who would mix their own stuff, just looking for something simple and straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I actually drink them as an intra shake. But I workout fasted. Do I think there needed with what you're already taking....no.

I think you would get more benefit out of mixing them up in a daily jug that you sip your water from throughout the day.

You have to stay hydrated....and a little extra protein synthesis by doing that is always a good thing.

Just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I found taking them before a run I did a bit better times and FELT better when I finished. Also, same for soccer game, except that's what I wash down dinner with. I'm type-1 diabetic, so I HAVE to eat before major exercise. I have relatively few issues with eating and exercising within 30-45 minutes, at least in terms of tummy trouble.

Not so much for weight training. Have tried both pre and post, and just don't see much results differing than just normal food.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Agree with the other comments, I honestly only take them on intense workout days and I feel it helps with soreness/fatigue the next day. But like I said that's just how I feel, hell it could be placebo for all I know. Definitely depends on the intensity of your workouts imo. Best thing you can do is just try it out see if you can notice any difference. I've tried so much shit that now I only spend money on what I know works for me, most supplements are just hooplah.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I actually drink them as an intra shake. But I workout fasted. Do I think there needed with what you're already taking....no.

I think you would get more benefit out of mixing them up in a daily jug that you sip your water from throughout the day.

You have to stay hydrated....and a little extra protein synthesis by doing that is always a good thing.

Just my opinion though.
I drink mine during my workouts. usually i'll mix it up in a one gallon jug
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Agree with the other comments, I honestly only take them on intense workout days and I feel it helps with soreness/fatigue the next day. But like I said that's just how I feel, hell it could be placebo for all I know. Definitely depends on the intensity of your workouts imo. Best thing you can do is just try it out see if you can notice any difference. I've tried so much shit that now I only spend money on what I know works for me, most supplements are just hooplah.

That's kind of how I feel about all these pre-/during- workout drinks. I mostly do not feel much. I also LIKE being sore the next day, shows me that I had a good workout.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
That's kind of how I feel about all these pre-/during- workout drinks. I mostly do not feel much. I also LIKE being sore the next day, shows me that I had a good workout.
With ya 100%, If I wake up the next day and I'm not sore I'm usually a little dissapointed in myself thinking my workout wasn't good enough the day prior haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So, if I have 2oz of bourbon after my run, would it be advisable to add a little BCAA powder?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Bodybuilding for a little over 10 years. BCAA's are beneficial pre, during, and post. I usually have a scoop of whey OR BCAA's pre-workout. I buy the bulksupplements BCAA powder and just put a couple scoops in my water jug mixed with flavor enhancer to drink during. After my workout I usually stick to real food. It really does help especially if you have any issues with soreness or recovery
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

As I said earlier....I only use as during my workout as I train fasted. Plus I use EAA'S.

Only other time is throwing a couple of scoops in a water jug that I sip on throughout the day.

Rest of the time I'm eating while foods!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I don't know why but whenever I have introduced BCAA's into my routine I get muscle cramps and then pull muscles in my neck/back... strange I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've started taking some pre workout that has caffeine as well. I like it. My post is usually just a regular food protein and carb source but sometimes mix oats and protein after as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim25N View Post
I have a mixed opinion about the BCAA. These amino acids do not allow the muscles to break down after strength training, and also gives energy. But from my own experience I can say that not a lot of energy is added, that is, tiredness is still felt.
ummmm this makes no sense aminos don't break down your muscles, your workouts do. it's not to give you energy unless you take a BCAA that has other ingredients for energy but BCAA's is used to help supplement the muscle recovery or can be used as an intra workout supplement
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

if you re really pushing at the gym, i mean really doing your best on any exercise you do, yes you do need it.. cause it really helps to recover the muscles faster.. only a full portion of BCAA post exercise ll be enough.. but if you re a guy that more likely talks at the gym than pushing your limits.. no need to use it.. at least your kidneys ll work less like that..
      07-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
if you re really pushing at the gym, i mean really doing your best on any exercise you do, yes you do need it.. cause it really helps to recover the muscles faster.. only a full portion of BCAA post exercise ll be enough.. but if you re a guy that more likely talks at the gym than pushing your limits.. no need to use it.. at least your kidneys ll work less like that..

If you're talking about BCAA's being bad for your kidneys...I have to disagree. Not trying to be argumentative, but always up for some good discussion. I have studied protein, BCAA, and EAA supplementation extensively as my dad has Kidney Disease. Also because of how they can stimulate protein synthesis as well as dietary protein with about a 10th of the calorie impact for those in a calorie deficit.

BCAA's and EAA's are actually beneficial to those with Chronic Kidney Disease.

The nutritional status in chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients is a predictor of prognosis during the first period of dialysis. Serum albumin is the most commonly used nutritional marker. Another index is plasma amino acid profile. Of these, the plasma levels of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), especially valine and leucine, correlate well with nutritional status. Plasma BCAAs were evaluated along with albumin and C-reactive protein in 15 patients of early stages of CKD and 15 age- and sex-matched healthy controls. A significant decrease in plasma valine, leucine and albumin levels was observed in CKD patients when compared with the controls (P <0.05). No significant difference in C-reactive protein (CRP) levels was observed between the two groups. Malnutrition seen in our CKD patients in the form of hypoalbuminemia and decreased concentrations of BCAA points to the need to evaluate the nutritional status in the early stages itself. Simple measures in the form of amino acid supplementation should be instituted early to decrease the morbidity and mortality before start of dialysis in these patients.
      07-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
If you're talking about BCAA's being bad for your kidneys...I have to disagree. Not trying to be argumentative, but always up for some good discussion. I have studied protein, BCAA, and EAA supplementation extensively as my dad has Kidney Disease. Also because of how they can stimulate protein synthesis as well as dietary protein with about a 10th of the calorie impact for those in a calorie deficit.

BCAA's and EAA's are actually beneficial to those with Chronic Kidney Disease.

The nutritional status in chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients is a predictor of prognosis during the first period of dialysis. Serum albumin is the most commonly used nutritional marker. Another index is plasma amino acid profile. Of these, the plasma levels of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), especially valine and leucine, correlate well with nutritional status. Plasma BCAAs were evaluated along with albumin and C-reactive protein in 15 patients of early stages of CKD and 15 age- and sex-matched healthy controls. A significant decrease in plasma valine, leucine and albumin levels was observed in CKD patients when compared with the controls (P <0.05). No significant difference in C-reactive protein (CRP) levels was observed between the two groups. Malnutrition seen in our CKD patients in the form of hypoalbuminemia and decreased concentrations of BCAA points to the need to evaluate the nutritional status in the early stages itself. Simple measures in the form of amino acid supplementation should be instituted early to decrease the morbidity and mortality before start of dialysis in these patients.
sorry to hear such reason to know those but can be.. i just wanted to point out when you really need BCAA thats all..
      07-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

For a while I was drinking preworkout mixed with BCAA's before the gym and put a half a scoop in my water that I drank during my workouts. I stopped doing this about 2 months ago I can tell a difference in my recovery time. For a while I enjoyed the soreness after, to know that I had a decent workout. I changed up a few things in my routine and recently my recovery time is now days. Because of the soreness I missed a couple of days last week. Leg day was Tuesday and I could barely walk until Friday. Picking up some BCAA's after work today.

Last edited by King Rudi; 07-08-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
sorry to hear such reason to know those but can be.. i just wanted to point out when you really need BCAA thats all..
No worries!!

I agree with you in that a lot of people take things they don't need and in excess.....abd nothing in excess is really good for you.

Sorry if I came across confrontational. I've just studied about this stuff so much, I speak when I shouldn't sometimes!
      07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep

For what it's worth, I bought a can of BCAA and mix a scoop in my water bottle that I sip during my workouts. Personally, I do feel a difference in recovery and energy boost too, so now I've added BCAA to my regiment.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      09-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #20
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I've started taking this post-workout. The first couple of days it made me feel all sorts of crazy post-workout, now I really like it. My muscles don't get sore at all now. If you take a pre-workout, I do not recommend drinking this as an intra as well; it will make feel like you can see around corners. The swoleberry flavor is great.

https://www.amazon.com/Workout-Build.../dp/B0773CCFXD
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

jus try it out see how it goes? everyone is different. is not as serious as creatine where you'll be left with deli arms if you stop lifting.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #22
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
I use it as my normal day drink. probably have about 2l of it a day when i'm home. workout nearly everyday. It just tastes nice and hopefully helps with my fitness also keeps me hydrated which is the most important thing to me.
Appreciate 0