BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Cool Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

So the only thread that's current is "things that annoy you at the gym" but I thought about creating a thread about anything gym related since sometimes we discuss random stuff in that thread which gets off topic sometimes anywho this thread can be about equipment, exercises, foods or just whatever comes to mind or rants.

I'll start off with I cannot workout without my workout gloves! Call me a pansy but one time I forgot my gloves and I had blisters by the end of my workout. I think it all started in my 20's when I first started working out and the wifey at the time was complaining about when we hold hands that my hands felt hard and not soft so that's when I started wearing gloves
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
For some reason, I always pick out someone that I might need to hit if "shit goes down". Its always the most defined person there. Just could be the adrenaline released during a good workout. Or I may just be weird.

And I'm embarrassed I don't do more core work, because of my bad back. Does anyone else have a bad back and work out?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Just for the record I'm mad you wear workout gloves lol.

In the past I used wrist wraps but I think they actually caused some pain for me. I don't lift heavy enough to feel the need to use lifting straps. I never actually tried the gloves, I'm just hating because Im not about the way they look haha.

As for gym talk I'm pretty mad that when I eat in excess I feel worse yet I looka and feel pumped up and my lifts are so much better. When I eat healthy I lose weight, feel better, but also feel and look flat as shit in the gym also my lifts are much worse. I am constantly bouncing between 190 and 200lbs depending on how I want to eat that week. It's tough finding the perfect balance without going overboard on either end.

Tough question since back pain is pretty vague and there can be numerous issues. Just stay away from movements that cause you pain. Even if the movements you're doing are rather basic or easy, just working your core has a lot of benefits.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I've hit a wall. I weighed 211 the fist week of November. Have been busting my ass in the gym since and currently at 162 pounds and 21.5 % body fat. I need to be around 175-180 pounds and 12-15% body fat. Frustrating.

I need gloves. Getting some major callouses. @Isturbointeg what gloves are you rocking?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I wear gloves too, can't have rough hands when meeting new people.

I'm bouncing between 80 to 85kg in the last couple months. My aim is to lose weight and gain some muscle but have no idea how to measure my progress, are body fat scales the only option ?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

I'm bouncing between 80 to 85kg in the last couple months. My aim is to lose weight and gain some muscle but have no idea how to measure my progress, are body fat scales the only option ?
I think body fat percentages are useless and foolish.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

You can buy the calipers and learn how to measure it yourself. I have a BMI scale and honestly I don't trust it. At 162 pounds (73.4kg) and 21.5%body fat doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Diet is key. Last I remember you were staying away from foods late at night, as well as not eating much dinner? Or was it lunch? I forget, but fill me in and I will go from there. Essentially your diet should change now that your goal has changed. You went from wanting to lose weight ASAP to now wanting to gain muscle and drop BF, meaning this will be a slow uphill battle lol. Most will tell you that it is very difficult to both gain muscle and reduce BF.

It would've been a little easier to build that muscle while you still had the extra weight on, now your goal is a little harder, none the less doable.

Most likely the easiest way would be to ignore your calories, eat big, gain the muscle, then lose the weight. Or lose all of the weight you want then try to gain the muscle. Building muscle and maintaining BF is much more feasible then wanted to gain muscle and reduce BF.

Don't trust the BMI scales, go by what your mirror is telling you.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

As I have gotten older, I have had to realize that my body doesn't like the punishment anymore. I am turning 50 later this year and have had 2 torn meniscus' as well as plantar fasciitis surgeries in the past few years. It takes a lot longer to recover.

Just when I am getting in a groove at the gym (multiple weeks of going regularly), one of my joints (knee/foot) has other ideas. I have started working out in group classes focusing on lower impact and that has helped a lot, but I do miss doing the heavier weights.

My biggest personal challenge is the late night snacking while watching TV with the spouse.

How are you guys dealing with this stuff?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post

My biggest personal challenge is the late night snacking while watching TV with the spouse.
Best way for me is to only have healthy snacks available. My favorites would be Halo-top ice cream, rice cakes w/ PB, eggs, I figure if I'm eating late it might as well be beneficial foods.
Appreciate 1
hilld183.50
      02-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
RickMcEuen
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4

Gym talk and gasket question

Hey, I'm a total newby to the forum and my page is telling me I need to reply to a post to be official. The thing that bugs me about my gym is knowing when to wipe down the equipment. I don't sweat much and most others don't wipe down so should I or shouldn't I. But I actually have a car question. I have a few oil leaks to fix in my 2007 Z4 and is there a brand of gasket to either favor or avoid?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
As I have gotten older, I have had to realize that my body doesn't like the punishment anymore. I am turning 50 later this year and have had 2 torn meniscus' as well as plantar fasciitis surgeries in the past few years. It takes a lot longer to recover.
Welcome to the geezer zone. Did the plantar surgery "work"? My Dr. said he won't do them.
What I've found is compression socks for after runs/soccer, and alternating hot/cold water. My regular gym routine now includes allocating 30 minutes at the end to sit in the unheated pool and jacuzzi. Outside shower, then right into the cold pool for 3 minutes. Over to jacuzzi until warm again, several minutes of leg stretches, then another plunge into the cold water for 3 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Welcome to the geezer zone. Did the plantar surgery "work"? My Dr. said he won't do them.
What I've found is compression socks for after runs/soccer, and alternating hot/cold water. My regular gym routine now includes allocating 30 minutes at the end to sit in the unheated pool and jacuzzi. Outside shower, then right into the cold pool for 3 minutes. Over to jacuzzi until warm again, several minutes of leg stretches, then another plunge into the cold water for 3 minutes.
Yes, the foot surgery was really helpful. I hurt my foot playing indoor soccer (combination of hard surface, not a lot of cushion in the shoes and being overweight <<that is the kicker). It did take almost a full year to fully recover and if I had to do it again, I would do it sooner and get the pain over with sooner.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I've hit a wall. I weighed 211 the fist week of November. Have been busting my ass in the gym since and currently at 162 pounds and 21.5 % body fat. I need to be around 175-180 pounds and 12-15% body fat. Frustrating.

I need gloves. Getting some major callouses. @Isturbointeg what gloves are you rocking?
this is my 2nd pair after 5 years but they have the wrist strap also with soft gel pads under some areas.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #15
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I only use "gloves" on pull days. I found GriPads to be excellent. I saw a guy at the gym doing lat pulls with them on and asked. Used them for about 2 years now.

The only real callouses on my hands are from my wedding ring, so I get a pass from the wife on that one
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #16
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

I am shocked at the amount of you guys that use gloves?!?!?. I seriously didn’t think ppl used them anymore.

I have been seriously lifting/training 30 years and never used them. I have always used chalk or liquid chalk(no mess) or a spray that prevents my hands from sweating. I have no crazy calluses or beat up hands.

I get much better contact/grip and a more pure/real connection of whatever it is I am holding. Equaling better lifts.

*My wedding ring is silicone and is no issue while training
Appreciate 1
Supra2k6130.50
      02-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:

Just when I am getting in a groove at the gym (multiple weeks of going regularly), one of my joints (knee/foot) has other ideas. I have started working out in group classes focusing on lower impact and that has helped a lot, but I do miss doing the heavier weights.

How are you guys dealing with this stuff?
The back issue and plantar fasciitis really slow me down. Instead of running, I do most of my cardio on a stationary bike, with 5-10 minutes on a stair stepper. I used to like to run and do the stair stepper, but those days are behind me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Diet is key. Last I remember you were staying away from foods late at night, as well as not eating much dinner? Or was it lunch? I forget, but fill me in and I will go from there. Essentially your diet should change now that your goal has changed. You went from wanting to lose weight ASAP to now wanting to gain muscle and drop BF, meaning this will be a slow uphill battle lol. Most will tell you that it is very difficult to both gain muscle and reduce BF.

It would've been a little easier to build that muscle while you still had the extra weight on, now your goal is a little harder, none the less doable.

Most likely the easiest way would be to ignore your calories, eat big, gain the muscle, then lose the weight. Or lose all of the weight you want then try to gain the muscle. Building muscle and maintaining BF is much more feasible then wanted to gain muscle and reduce BF.

Don't trust the BMI scales, go by what your mirror is telling you.
Correct. I'm on a calorie deficiency. Between 1500-1800/day, don't eat past 5 p.m. and gym 5 days a week. This is how I dropped the weight so quickly.
Gym days consist of weight resistance and cardio after. Weights for about an hour focusing on only a few groups each session doing drop sets and then cardio for about 65 -80 minutes usually around 4-4.5 miles and burn between 850-975 calories per session depending on how I feel.

Now that I'm actually close to what the national standards for ideal weight are for my height (155 @ 5' 9") I'm still jiggly in the ab area and would like more muscle definition. I wanted to drop the weight first as I see all these guys at the gym that are big, but have a lot of body fat. Sure they may be strong or can lift big weight, but they just look fat regardless. I wanted to be lean so I went with dropping the fat and then trying to build the muscle. I do realize that I went the hard way but I'm not afraid to put in the extra work to get exactly what I want.

I do feel like I need to be eating more at this point but the thought of gaining the weight back that I've spent the past 3 months working my ass off to drop is kind of depressing. I'm thinking eat more, lift more weight, do less cardio. Does this sound about right?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #19
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Distance (OK, SHORT distances) running doesn't bother my plantar. Soccer, with the constant change of directions is a whole nuther story though!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I am shocked at the amount of you guys that use gloves?!?!?. I seriously didn’t think ppl used them anymore.

I have been seriously lifting/training 30 years and never used them. I have always used chalk or liquid chalk(no mess) or a spray that prevents my hands from sweating. I have no crazy calluses or beat up hands.

I get much better contact/grip and a more pure/real connection of whatever it is I am holding. Equaling better lifts.

*My wedding ring is silicone and is no issue while training
I would say I see at least half of the guys wear gloves at my gym. also have separate lifting straps I use when doing heavy back workouts. One thing I now use religiously are elbow sleeves/brace when I do heavy chest days or any triceps movements because my elbows would literally feel like they're burning. I use to get pretty bad but now these elbow braces help out alot!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Does anyone else have a bad back and work out?
You mean like constant pain from slouching in chairs, yet still go to gym?

DESPITE teh sore back, going to the gym isn't a strain unless I specifically try to work that lower back. Doing any standing exercise with a break in the knees, so the strain is transferred to my thighs- no problem. Any time I lay flat on a bench, during the exercise my feet are always off the ground, and usually knees are curled up to chest to keep my back flat on the bench.

I saw this kid, MAYBE early 20s last night doing bench press. He was on his tippy-toes, back arched so far it made mine hurt. I almost went over and said "IF you want to do this for 10-20 more years, get your feet off the ground. Instead I went to the water fountain and did some core work between sets.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Correct. I'm on a calorie deficiency. Between 1500-1800/day, don't eat past 5 p.m. and gym 5 days a week. This is how I dropped the weight so quickly.
Gym days consist of weight resistance and cardio after. Weights for about an hour focusing on only a few groups each session doing drop sets and then cardio for about 65 -80 minutes usually around 4-4.5 miles and burn between 850-975 calories per session depending on how I feel.

Now that I'm actually close to what the national standards for ideal weight are for my height (155 @ 5' 9") I'm still jiggly in the ab area and would like more muscle definition. I wanted to drop the weight first as I see all these guys at the gym that are big, but have a lot of body fat. Sure they may be strong or can lift big weight, but they just look fat regardless. I wanted to be lean so I went with dropping the fat and then trying to build the muscle. I do realize that I went the hard way but I'm not afraid to put in the extra work to get exactly what I want.

I do feel like I need to be eating more at this point but the thought of gaining the weight back that I've spent the past 3 months working my ass off to drop is kind of depressing. I'm thinking eat more, lift more weight, do less cardio. Does this sound about right?
For me it seems going through bulking phases and leaning out phases is the most sane method. I'd say I go through not quite a 20-pound swing. But I do seem to get more injuries during my, for me, bulking phase.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00