BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

11-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

FDA just approved new cancer drug

Consider this my PSA for those that "might" be eligible.

http://https://www.whec.com/news/fda...-drug/5159223/

Quote:
FDA approves breakthrough cancer drug
Quote:

November 27, 2018 11:19 PM

The Food and Drug Administration has approved a drug that targets genetic mutations in tumors, which could have a major impact on the way doctors treat more than a dozen different cancers.

Until now, most cancer drugs have treated tumors based on where they're located in the body. This new drug, Larotrectinib, does it based on genetics.

"We've shown that it works in any cancer provided it has a specific mutation in a gene called 'TRK'," says Dr. David Hyman of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

That includes 17 different malignancies, mostly rare cancers, but also a small portion of salivary gland tumors, lung and breast cancers.

Dr. Hyman led the research.

"When you can figure out at the genetic level what can makes a cancer tick, what's driving its growth, and if you have a drug that effectively intervenes on that, then you can see dramatic and also immediate responses," he says.

Patients with otherwise incurable cancers saw their tumors disappear, often within days.

The drug is delivered in the form of a pill, sold under the brand name Vitrakvi, and will be taken twice a day.

Doctors say it's a potential treatment for patients who have exhausted other options. They must be tested to see whether their tumors carry the mutation.

The new drug will not be inexpensive.

Drug manufacturer Loxo Oncology announced the wholesale acquisition cost will be more than $32,000 a month.

The company says it expects most insurers to cover the cost.

Read more: https://nbcnews.to/2QgPeb1
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I think i seen this somewhere before.

Oh yea they made a movie about it called "I Am Legend".
Appreciate 2
dizz81288.50
Todd0131379.50
      11-19-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Talk about necroposting.

Anyways, it is interesting that this thread was created in 2018 and since then nothing much from this drug or any derivatives. There are other drugs that are targeted and are only effective on tumors with specific genetic markers such as HER-2, KRAS-Wild, and MSI-High.

Per the necropost, you're thinking of CRISPR.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Talk about necroposting.

Anyways, it is interesting that this thread was created in 2018 and since then nothing much from this drug or any derivatives. There are other drugs that are targeted and are only effective on tumors with specific genetic markers such as HER-2, KRAS-Wild, and MSI-High.

Per the necropost, you're thinking of CRISPR.
For some reason this popped up in the new threads feed. I didn’t even check the date.
Appreciate 0