BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Vanilla smells

OK, so I'm old enough to know, not to self diagnose or purely take advise from strangers on the internet.

and YES I will talk to my doctor

But I'm curious and have done some googling on phantom smells and the search results are really varied, so wondering if any of you lot have had a similar experience or know of any experiences from others

so for maybe 4 months maybe more, I seem to be smelling something that is not there, no rhyme or reason and usually at home, when I'm quiet and lying down watching TV

It is a briefest waft odor of Vanilla almost a milk chocolate smell, so, I can't pip point where the smell is coming from, seems to be from my body, rather than an object near me. NOW I don't use fancy products, hairsprays, scented stuff, mainly due to I have Psoriasis (very mild) and NOTHING I've ever used has that female smells anyway.

I'll smell it then it's gone, it's not disturbing, and I don't seem to have any other symptoms at the same time, only happens when I'm awake, the reason I@m relating this , is because the last time I smelt chocolate it triggered a food binge and my resulting blood sugars where threw the roof.

I haven't been on any "new" medication, I do occasionally, and for many years, occasionally get a mind rendering headache, for about 10 seconds or so, and I "think" one of my med's did warn of that, all my blood work, BP, cholesterol are fine, I'm on BP med's (for something else) and my BP's are on the nose

I've never mentioned it to anyone because for one I didn't think anything of it.

Oh and no it's not a ghost or garbage like that LOLZ

Just asking, as I said I'll go see doctor next time and mention it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
OK, so I'm old enough to know, not to self diagnose or purely take advise from strangers on the internet.

But I'm curious and have done some googling on phantom smells and the search results are really varied, so wondering if any of you lot have had a similar experience or know of any experiences from others

so for maybe 4 months maybe more, I seem to be smelling something that is not there, no rhyme or reason and usually at home, when I'm quiet and lying down watching TV

It is a briefest waft odor of Vanilla almost a milk chocolate smell, so, I can't pip point where the smell is coming from, seems to be from my body, rather than an object near me. NOW I don't use fancy products, hairsprays, scented stuff, mainly due to I have Psoriasis (very mild) and NOTHING I've ever used has that female smells anyway.

I'll smell it then it's gone, it's not disturbing, and I don't seem to have any other symptoms at the same time, only happens when I'm awake, the reason I@m relating this , is because the last time I smelt chocolate it triggered a food binge and my resulting blood sugars where threw the roof.

I haven't been on any "new" medication, I do occasionally, and for many years, occasionally get a mind rendering headache, for about 10 seconds or so, and I "think" one of my med's did warn of that, all my blood work, BP, cholesterol are fine, I'm on BP med's (for something else) and my BP's are on the nose

I've never mentioned it to anyone because for one I didn't think anything of it.

Got me interested, and I found this. Seems you're not alone.

Hi!

"My first language is french so I appolagize for the spelling... I am posting this in the general Health forum since I don't know what I am dealing with... It's concerning my father. He is 51 and up until a few months ago, he was generaly in pretty good health. His problems are mostly with his knees (will most probably have an operation on both of them) and now alot of his articulations hurt. What concerns me the most is that for about a month now, he has been almost constantly smelling vanilla... when no one else can. And it happens anywhere (home, office, car) so it's him and not in his environment. He has no other symptoms. He isn't taking any medication. I tried searches for his problem and asked him if at one point he had other symptoms such as blurred vision, diziness etc... and nothing. Soooo... I'm usually good at finding causes for the weirdest problems but for this one, I have realy NO idea. If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it greatly.
Thank you!"

"Hi!
Well, if anyone is interested, my dad went to see the doctor and it seemed very clear to him that his symptoms where ones of thyroid disorder (gloiatre?). I didn't know this but his throat is also a bit swollen. It seems that the vanilla smell is a very typical symptom... I guess I'll be moving along to the thyroid disorder forum!"

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/...lla-smell.html
Appreciate 1
jaye9441005.00
      09-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Youre having small strokes
Appreciate 1
jaye9441005.00
      09-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yeah I also googled that up, and yes amongst other things, I do have a thyroid disorder, hypothyroidism, and I'm on med's, actually my doc recently lowered my thyroxine does, as my T4, TSH, showed my thyroid being over stimulated, so took down from 100 to 88 mcg

but yeah a good point, and txs for doing the googling

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Got me interested, and I found this. Seems you're not alone.

"Hi!
Well, if anyone is interested, my dad went to see the doctor and it seemed very clear to him that his symptoms where ones of thyroid disorder (gloiatre?). I didn't know this but his throat is also a bit swollen. It seems that the vanilla smell is a very typical symptom... I guess I'll be moving along to the thyroid disorder forum!"

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/...lla-smell.html
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I find long , slow ones are better

GOD I hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Youre having small strokes
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
This is not something your should try to self diagnose. It would seem wise and prudent to see your personal physician as soon as you can.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441005.00
      09-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

yup agreed, funny I had an appointment about something else, and forgot to mention it to him, I'll get round to it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Rockygreat
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post

But I'm curious and have done some googling on how Phallosan works and the search results are really varied, so wondering if any of you lot have had a similar experience or know of any experiences from others
so for maybe 8 months usage of Phallosan forte and the results may be good gains, I seem to be smelling something that is not there, no rhyme or reason and usually at home, when I'm quiet and lying down watching gains with Phallosan Forte.

It is the briefest waft odor of Vanilla almost a milk chocolate smell, so, I can't pip point where the smell is coming from, seems to be from my body, rather than an object near me. NOW I don't use fancy products, extender, hairsprays, scented stuff, mainly due to I have Psoriasis (very mild) and NOTHING I've ever used has that female smells anyway.

Did your doctor find anything? I am having same thing but my doctor is not taking me seriously.

Last edited by Rockygreat; 09-24-2018 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

hi m8, so not had a chance to see the doc,
I'm pretty sure it has to do with my thyroid, but won't confirm it
I think your doc "should" take it seriously as if you google it up, it's a real thing.
"Phantom smells" could be nothing, or something major.
I'll keep this thread updated
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Its your dried cum
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #11
Frank789
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i

It sounds funny, I understand that But I eard that such phantom smells can be caused by the problems with thyroid, it is connected with hormones somehow (I'm not an expert), but it is better to ask a doctor. This thread is old, and I hope the author is doing fine now. It would be great to find out the reason of vanilla smells
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

So do farts
Appreciate 0