BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #45
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Like mentioned earlier I really don't want to have a pissing match here.

But I do encourage you to broaden your research a bit more.
I like how you keep saying this yet have not provided a single credible source that backs up what you are claiming.

One of the guys I used to play rugby with was a vegan, small guy but crazy and absurdly tough. I enjoy meat a lot and we, whether you like to admit it or not, are meat eaters by nature.

The only ethical issues I have are unethical farming of animals and poor conditions. I am all for free range and wild caught meats. A little bit easier for me to get since I live in farm central and have some family that farms perhaps. Hunting is also a good way to get meat ethically, I don't feel bad for killing if I am going to use it. I am much nicer to my prey than most of the predators I see on the BBC.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #46
sherryvan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I still can't completely refuse meat, but I am controlling the diet. I try to exercise more and eat less. If I can make some progress in losing weight, I might be interested in eating only vegetarian food. I know if you don't eat meat at all, you need to eat some meat substitutes and Vegan Protein Powder.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #47
Danster
Seasoned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

I just can't live without a good beefsteak
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #48
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've eaten all vegan for 44 years, since I was 21. It's been good for me, so far.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 04:22 AM   #49
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Ex-girlfriend tried it for a while. My findings were that she suddenly wanted to drive 60 miles (120 round trip) to go to the grocery store as the small town we live in doesn't have a Whole Food store. This resulted in her wanting to buy a Prius and constantly explaining to me about how everything I did was terrible based off what I ate. Our relationship didn't last much longer after that and I did't mind it at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #50
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Not vegan but enjoy choosing vegetarian food as often as possible.

My wife and I eat salad, "stuffed" items (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini), Indian biryani, chana, aloo, gobi and dal, and other things. Eggs and dairy are our main sources of non-meat fat and protein. Quiche, veggie pizza and white lasagna (bechamel sauce) have earned spots on our menu rotation.

Tonight I had a chicken shawarma. I am not strictly vegetarian, but do enjoy it. Weight and body fat are where I want them for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #51
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80zcp View Post
I think it's great if you are doing it for ethical reasons, however if you're doing it for health reasons you'll feel good in the beginning but will start having problems.

Also there is a good way to do it, mostly vegetables and healthy fats from avocado and coconut oil for example, but most of the vegans in my life live off potato chips, french fries and bread/cookies/crackers. Which is by definition "Vegan" buy my god it's unhealthy.
Lol. I have noticed this too! I used to think vegan/vegetarian meant eating healthy, whole, unprocessed foods. But, I see my vegan friends eating breaded, fried vegetables, and sweets. Or worse, that hyper processed beyond beef substitute.
I am an omnivore, but I don't wear animal skins/fur (and I don't judge those who do), and try to eat non-factory farm meat and poultry. Factory farms are horrible!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #52
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Not vegan but enjoy choosing vegetarian food as often as possible.

My wife and I eat salad, "stuffed" items (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini), Indian biryani, chana, aloo, gobi and dal, and other things. Eggs and dairy are our main sources of non-meat fat and protein. Quiche, veggie pizza and white lasagna (bechamel sauce) have earned spots on our menu rotation.

Tonight I had a chicken shawarma. I am not strictly vegetarian, but do enjoy it. Weight and body fat are where I want them for now.
I'd have more vegetarian options in my diet if I (or the wife) had your cooking skills haha
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00
      09-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #53
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I have a cousin that is HARD CORE vegan, and has been for decades. And she "body builds" and I put that in quotes because its not like huge veined out people, but she is thick and her arms are bigger than most dudes I know and much more defined. She won a few of those types of events years back.

Of course our family is mostly rednecks like me and we never miss a chance to ride her ass about it or eat a huge steak whenever we can in front of her........but it is impressive what she has done on it. She grows her own stuff, cans it all that crap - but she works hard at it. She takes the hell well and gives it back with both barrels about our "fat red meat asses" - she is great.

Not one of those "I'm VEGAN" 24/7 types. It CAN be done.....but I sure as hell want nothing to do with it. Living in the country I am sure makes it easier as her garden would put most peoples yards to shame.

I'd never admit it to her face, but her dedication to that lifestyle is admirable.
Attached Images

09-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #54
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Vegetarian dinner tonight - stuffed zucchini, salad and fresh strawberries for dessert.

Stuffing includes onion, shallot, garlic, zucchini, celery, parsley, crushed tomatoes, couscous, breadcrumbs, ricotta and egg. Topped with parsley, parmesan, pine nuts and EVOO.

Vegetarian (and vegan I imagine) eating takes thought and planning to get in the groove of menu planning and shopping. No different than a gym routine vs sitting on the couch.

Once a dozen or so vegetarian menu options are in the rotation, it becomes easier and eventually self sustaining.
Attached Images

Last edited by chassis; 09-10-2021 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #55
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I had a grade two strain of my ACL back in February and was having a terrible time recovering. One evening, I watched a Netflix program "Game Changers" which featured elite athletes that had gone vegan and it took them to a higher level. It's been about three months and my ACL is doing much better and I will continue my eating habits. I do seem to cheat once a month but sometimes it's such a challenge to not eat animal proteins.
      09-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #56
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I think it's admirable but I don't even have the discipline to be a vegetarian. I'm just at the 'reduced meat intake' stage but hopefully will progress more.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
chassis6336.00