BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #23
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Over 40 try something else.

The number one issue with CF is that it encourges improper form. Consequently a lot of people develop joint injuries especially if they were not already living an active lifestyle. I say go for it if you always keep "proper form" in the forefront.
This is 100% false. Movement standards are strictly enforced at every box that I have ever been to. Crossfit provides more in depth movement instruction than any other exercise setting I have been in. I was a personal trainer for 5 years and have a bachelors degree in exercise science. The amount of nonsense that I saw go on in the globo-gyms in the world when I was a trainer would make chiropractors and physical therapists salivate.

We have multiple guys in their 50's and 60's in our gym who could not squat below parallel when they started. Now they are squatting 1.5x BW or more to depth with no pain. Coaches at my gym will make people squat with an empty bar if they cannot hit depth.
Appreciate 3
EALm43344.50
vtown99.00
      03-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
This is 100% false. Movement standards are strictly enforced at every box that I have ever been to provides more instruction than any other exercise setting I have been in. I was a personal trainer for 5 years and have a bachelors degree in exercise science. The amount of non-sense that I saw go on in the globo-gyms in the world when I was a trainer would make chiropractors and physical therapists salivate.

We have multiple guys in there 50's and 60's in our gym who could not squat below parallel when they started. Now they are squatting 1.5x BW or more to depth with no pain. Coaches at my gym will make people squat with an empty bar if they cannot hit depth.
You found a good one. Excellent work.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

The number one issue with CF is that it encourges improper form. Consequently a lot of people develop joint injuries especially if they were not already living an active lifestyle. I say go for it if you always keep "proper form" in the forefront.
This is 100% false. Movement standards are strictly enforced at every box that I have ever been to. Crossfit provides more in depth movement instruction than any other exercise setting I have been in. I was a personal trainer for 5 years and have a bachelors degree in exercise science. The amount of non-sense that I saw go on in the globo-gyms in the world when I was a trainer would make chiropractors and physical therapists salivate.

We have multiple guys in there 50's and 60's in our gym who could not squat below parallel when they started. Now they are squatting 1.5x BW or more to depth with no pain. Coaches at my gym will make people squat with an empty bar if they cannot hit depth.
Disagree. I've yet to see a "typical" crossfitter perfrom a proper front squat, power clean, or pull up. They're always cheating.

I'm not saying poor form is encourged by trainers. That's different.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #26
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Disagree. I've yet to see a "typical" crossfitter perfrom a proper front squat, power clean, or pull up. They're always cheating.

Shall I send you a video from one of the 3 gyms I go to? It's not that rare.

Please tell me you're not referring to kipping pull-ups as "cheating".
Appreciate 2
vtown99.00
      03-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Wow you must have some terrible boxes in your area. Everyone at the local gyms here are emphasized chest up, full depth, elbows high front squats. People that go "starfish" power cleans are immediately called out and asked to lower the weight. Now if you are referring to butterfly pull ups that is just a different type of movement used for efficiency. It originates in gymnastics. However, my gym will use strict pull ups frequently and kipping pull ups are restricted to individuals that can complete multiple reps strict only.
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      03-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Quote:

Shall I send you a video from one of the 3 gyms I go to? It's not that rare.

Please tell me you're not referring to kipping pull-ups as "cheating".
No I'm not and I don't need videos.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:

Meh

42 here, I've been crossfitting for about 4 years. I'm in the best shape of my life and making slow-steady gains every week. No injuries from CF. My current box covers the age range from 16 to 70+. Any good box will provide an "on-ramp" type starter class and help scale the workouts accordingly to ability, strength, and mobility.

If your coach is not correcting improper form, you are at the wrong box and the coaches are no good. That said, as others have mentioned, check your ego at the door and concentrate on working the movements deliberately. Speed only comes with experience once your muscle memory is developed.

Def try out several boxes to find the right fit and the best coaching. Make sure you join one that encourages a solid warm up and regular mobility/stretching regiment. They are not all created equal.

As for the comments about high cost...it's all relative. Is the cost on par with the unlimited plan from planet fitness or whatever? No...but you are essentially getting a personal trainer (with a good box). I don't see too many folks making good gains with good form from generic DIY gyms, and most people peter out after a few months getting bored or stuck in rut.

This is the single best investment you can make in your future.

95% of the haters have never even tried it.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #30
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
How do you "cheat" a power clean, out of curiosity? Receive the bar too deep in the squat is the only thing I can think of, which applies to RM testing, I suppose, but not really to anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #31
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow you must have some terrible boxes in your area. Everyone at the local gyms here are emphasized chest up, full depth, elbows high front squats. People that go "starfish" power cleans are immediately called out and asked to lower the weight. Now if you are referring to butterfly pull ups that is just a different type of movement used for efficiency. It originates in gymnastics. However, my gym will use strict pull ups frequently and kipping pull ups are restricted to individuals that can complete multiple reps strict only.
You're proving my point. If the trainers are not that good then you're open to serious injury because your're probably doing movements which you normally wouldn't do.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #32
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Unfortunately when CF went main stream to the masses a lot of things got watered down. Coaching being the main thing. Theses were not issues back in the day when CF was much smaller and taylored to a more specialized group of ppl who were for the most part already “fit or “ in shape.”

That is why so many of us are saying find the right Box. I have been to good ones and not so good ones. However being a newbie to CF you may not know how to identify a good box from a bad one. Only experienced CF’s can really tell.

Talk to ppl, watch videos, educate yourself and use do diligence. Knowledge is power and that is most important when training in CF.
Appreciate 2
scostu1619.50
      03-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #33
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You're proving my point. If the trainers are not that good then you're open to serious injury because your're probably doing movements which you normally wouldn't do.
It's obvious your bias against crossfit has completely clouded your judgement.
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      03-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How do you "cheat" a power clean, out of curiosity? Receive the bar too deep in the squat is the only thing I can think of, which applies to RM testing, I suppose, but not really to anything else.
I typically see people who don't drop deep enough, splay their feet out to the sides during the movement, and catch the bar at mid-chest. Basically too much weight for the amount of reps.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #35
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's obvious your bias against crossfit has completely clouded your judgement.
I don't have a bias. I basically said do it but don't half@ss it because you can hurt yourself.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #36
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
I typically see people who don't drop deep enough, splay their feet out to the sides during the movement, and catch the bar at mid-chest. Basically too much weight for the amount of reps.
You realize there is no minimum depth requirement for a power clean, right? The exact opposite is true, there is a maximum depth (parallel), beyond that it just becomes a clean.

Starfishing and catching the bar mid-chest are inefficient, but not "cheating" in any real way. It happens with people who are new-ish to the movement and none of the above really presents any significant risk of injury.

I'll agree that anyone displaying those movement patterns should be coached to lower the weight and do it right to enforce the desired movement patterns, but that's a different discussion from "cheating".
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      03-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #37
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Why is a crossfit gym called a "box"?
      03-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #38
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Why is a crossfit gym called a "box"?
Because back in the day before CF went mainstream most all ppl CFing were doing it out of their garage or in some kind of Storage unit/shed with no windows....hence like a “Box”. And it was hot as hell usually and you would sweat like a mf’er = “Sweat Box”. Also most all the equipment was home made, Rogue and other brands were not around yet.

That was when CF was still kinda underground and hard core. You pretty much had to know someone doing it to get exposed to the training. Pretty cool!

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 03-07-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #39
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Not really a huge fan as I've either been 100% strength focused or 100% bodybuilding focused during my time lifting and don't especially like explosive or Oly lifts. Or pullups

But it's important to understand that all lifting has injury potential even if you use perfect form. Accidents happen and joints eventually wear out over years of lifting no matter what program you're using, sadly.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #40
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I have been Crossfitting since 2009. If you are athletic and competitive you will enjoy it. Like the last poster stated look at the Boxes (Crossfit gyms) around you. Some are better then others...ie coaching, programming and ppl. Also check CrossFit’s main site to learn a bit about what you are getting into.

My biggest piece of advice is check your ego at the door and
go slow! Learn the foundational movements and don’t be in a hurry to try and do things beyond your abilities. Progression is key!

Second would be MOBILITY!!!! Learn to love it and live it everyday!!!!

It is very easy to get sucked in and chase numbers and form bad habits. Have goals but obtain them the right way. If you are not careful injuries WILL happen.

I’ve been at it a long time and enjoy it still. Whether at my box or in my garage gym, it’s the best type of training I have ever done. And I am an ex-college athlete! Good luck brother!
Best salesman of all time!

Greg Glassman founder of crossfit....... Lol

I mean early last year Crossfit discovered what the ancient Greeks knew thousands of years ago.... Alters(AKA Dumbbells) are great unilateral training tools!

Congrats on doing C.F. since 09', 90% of the people that have stepped foot in a C.F. gym sustain injury.

Just wish C.F. would teach that posture and alignment are key, and considering the excessive squating leads to a stupid anterior pelvic tilt.... say bye bye hip health and L1-L5!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:48 AM   #41
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post

I mean early last year Crossfit discovered what the ancient Greeks knew thousands of years ago.... Alters(AKA Dumbbells) are great unilateral training tools!

Congrats on doing C.F. since 09', 90% of the people that have stepped foot in a C.F. gym sustain injury.

Just wish C.F. would teach that posture and alignment are key, and considering the excessive squating leads to a stupid anterior pelvic tilt.... say bye bye hip health and L1-L5!
Haaaaa, thanks. But I have had a few injuries, that goes with the territory due to the high level of training I do. I definitely push my limits. All injuries were overcome with rest, self rehab and patience.

I must say I have not always agreed with some of CFs programming, with heavy emphasis and daily doses of excess shoulder movements. This can lead to a multitude of problems. At my age (46) I’m careful with my programming and do a bit of cherry picking to preserve my shoulders.

As for your “posture and alignment” statement, I believe they addressed this early on with Kelly Starrett. Castro brought him onboard to teach these types of things along with MOBILITY and positioning to CF staff. Starrett was linked to CFs mainsite with his Mobility WOD. Starrett is hands down one of the best in his field for Human Movement. Unfortunately he became such a success on his own, he slowly separated from CF.

I must say, as much as I enjoy CF competing in each Open (except this year) and other CF Competitions during the year, I have moved to more of a hybrid style of training focusing on more FUNCTIONAL types of movements. This suits my body and goals better. I still do plenty of CF stuff, I just avoid the high injury type movements.

TRAIN SMARTER NOT HARDER!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #42
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Haaaaa, thanks. But I have had a few injuries, that goes with the territory due to the high level of training I do. I definitely push my limits. All injuries were overcome with rest, self rehab and patience.

I must say I have not always agreed with some of CFs programming, with heavy emphasis and daily doses of excess shoulder movements. This can lead to a multitude of problems. At my age (46) I’m careful with my programming and do a bit of cherry picking to preserve my shoulders.

As for your “posture and alignment” statement, I believe they addressed this early on with Kelly Starrett. Castro brought him onboard to teach these types of things along with MOBILITY and positioning to CF staff. Starrett was linked to CFs mainsite with his Mobility WOD. Starrett is hands down one of the best in his field for Human Movement. Unfortunately he became such a success on his own, he slowly separated from CF.

I must say, as much as I enjoy CF competing in each Open (except this year) and other CF Competitions during the year, I have moved to more of a hybrid style of training focusing on more FUNCTIONAL types of movements. This suits my body and goals better. I still do plenty of CF stuff, I just avoid the high injury type movements.

TRAIN SMARTER NOT HARDER!
I got a bad taste in my mouth for CF in 08 just before the wave and I'll never forget the guy that said to me go get CF cert'd and you'll see your 6 different training certifications mean nothing for the body. I just smiled and said ok. My biggest pet peeve is the WOD concepts and lack of real complimentive structure, especially when against the clock. #rhabdoisntcool

Another big flaw that results in a lot of injuries is excessive mobility or hyoerflexion of joints. People forget that the muscles are giant rubber bands essentially and there is supposed to be a certain level of "tightness". That and the fact that in the 3 ranges of motion the body has, somehow CF discovered a non existent 4th Lol.

Bad coaches are beyond the problem, and IF people think the "bro" mentality of the gym is exhausting then just go to a CF facility. It automatically is a room full of experts, and what they teach is the right way..... and everybody is cookie cutter in teachings of alignment.

In order to even step foot in a CF facility one should have a sheer understanding of strict training, and a background in physical activity and NOT obese! The movements are not designed for a novice user and that includes using PVC to do RDLs or overhead squats and someone who's obese in the first place!

It's good thing you went hybrid though, we've called it cross-training for the last 30yrs!!

In all seriousness though, this chick is probably one of the best examples to adherence to mechanics and hybrid philosophy.

https://www.instagram.com/steficohen/
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #43
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post

You pulled that stat completely out of your ass. There have been studies comparing CF to "other" forms of exercise. Look 'em up, they don't support your position. At all.

If you don't like CrossFit, I'm 100% cool with that. Horses for courses, a tool for every job, etc. There's enough legitimate stuff to dislike about CF without resorting to making shit up out of whole cloth.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #44
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You pulled that stat completely out of your ass. There have been studies comparing CF to "other" forms of exercise. Look 'em up, they don't support your position. At all.

If you don't like CrossFit, I'm 100% cool with that. Horses for courses, a tool for every job, etc. There's enough legitimate stuff to dislike about CF without resorting to making shit up out of whole cloth.
Koolaid must be tart where your from buddy!

C.F. abso-damn-lutely has a greater risk of injury..... when a test pool of 112 conditioned applicants in a 8 week period of time results in more than 75% sustaining limiting injury that's a problem in program design!

Top 2 injury causing activities are Running and CF!

Running due to volume of individuals performing on daily basis, resulting in knee, hip, plantar issues, and the occasional strain or pull.

CF which is a much more explosive motion with a greater sudden loading on XYZ joint. Often resulting in much more catastrophic damage.

The common types of injuries in a more traditional gym are just that traditional.... strains, pulls, sprains, and selfies
Appreciate 0