BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #45
hawc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Did you find a pair?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #46
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Shoes are overrated in my mind and are part of the problem. What is natural about cushions elevated heels or heavy support?..this weakens the muscles over time leading to injuries. I've run a lot of trails, half marathons and even knockout fourteeners in a very minimalist shoe from Inov8 for years. Guys I run or hike with take it a step further and use the Vibram five fingers and love em. Get back to the basics and what is natural. Joint longevity is a function of many things, including imbalances. As a species, we were not made to run on "air". I see shoes that literally have a giant air pocket spanning the sole of the shoe. Those who keep running on "air"...is a lame way to compensate for lack of muscle strength and bone density.
everything you say is very correct...

although some people won't think about it as deeply as you and I do and simply run for a minor hobby or just excercise...

My running shoes always look horrendous since I need massive cushion..

orthotics....what a stupid idea...unless that orthotics is welded to the bottom of your foot they aren't going to solve problems for ATHLETES.

Now all these cushion--orthotics do have a place. because people simply don't want go through the process of fixing imbalances or simply god just gave them a few imperfections or like myself many .

I run on a cushioned track sometimes... but rarely run as my whole my body is too imbalanced...buying a pair of magic shoes isnt going to solve much .it is extremely tedious work to fix gait problems...you have to buy in 100% into the process(shoes are maybe 1% of the battle)

OT:
I wear the nike air vomero line....

go to running company...find the best person...or tip them 20-30 dollars...and find the correct shoes for you. They'll spend time with you. And don't be afraid to drop 200 on a pair of nikes that look exactly like the ones online for 60 bucks....because they just aren't the same...I used to be a major cheap ass; but realized how much a difference good shoes can make.

I say that now purchasing a 30 dollar wheel brush...while I needed new shoes for over a month now

also shoes don't last more than half a year if worn daily and thats an overestimate.

TD;DR....make sure shoes still function like day 1 and make sure they fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Runkeeper app says I can go 250 miles before replacing my shoes. I do at 200.

Once I find a model I like (currently NB 990s) I just get a different color every 200.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #48
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I use these for all my training/running. Cheap, I like white, and have lasted for months without fray. Idk how many miles are on them but probably over 200. Very comfortable, never ever foot pain and I have relatively wide feet. *Disclaimer* My avg runs are only a 5k in distance, sometimes I go more but never over a 10k, so not sure how these would perform over extensive distances.

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Train-Ve...09515736&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #49
core22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i / 911 C4S

Ask 2 dozen people and you will get back 2 dozen models of shoe recommended for running. A great fit is highly personalized, and what works for one person may not be best for someone else.

All brands have shoes designed for different situations - pronation, neutral, stability, and more. Its within the brands themselves where you have to dig deeper. Brooks for example, provide some great shoes, but you have to know what you're looking for. Glycerins are amazingly comfortable, but if you pronate they're not for you; you would look to the Transcend model instead, as they have the same cushion as the Glycerin, but have stability components built in to aid in pronation. Glycerins are neutral and offer no support. Same goes for the Ghost and Adrenaline GTS, also both Brooks shoes, but Adrenalines have support structure for stability and pronators, while the Ghosts are much more neutral. So what's the difference between the Glycerins and the Ghosts, being that they are both neutral shoes made by Brooks? The materials that go into making them provide for different price-points - $150 vs $120. And this is just an example of a small handful of shoes within a single brand. There are several manufacturers, all with the same types of offerings. Another example is Asics: Kayano and Nimbus models. Both are the top end price-wise, and are highly regarded, but 1 is for neutral runners and 1 is for those who require more support. Then compare the Nimbus to the Cumulus model, also Asics: both are for neutral runners, but are at different price points based on the materials they're constructed with. Same goes for New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Hoka, Altra, and many many more brands.

What I'm trying to say is the best bet is to go see a professional at a running-specific store (and NOT REI, Dicks, and the like). Folks working at running-specific stores live and breath this stuff, and know what to recommend given various types of runners and their needs.

Past:
2013 911 C4S | 2019 X2 M35i | 2015 M5 Comp | 2013 M5 | 2013 640i | 2010 535xi | 2007 525xi
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #50
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg06 View Post
go to a running store and have them analyze your feet and gait. you can thank me later.

THIS

Brand is subjective, but gait and your arch are not. You need a shoe that is designed for your pronation, surface to run, mileage, type of running all matter.

Go to a store that can perform the analysis
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #51
rbhjr01462
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, X3

New Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGold View Post
I suggest New Balance ...
for comfort they're better than all other main brands like nike or adidas
2nd that. With NewBalance you have the option of more widths than most brands. I also like the fact some of their shoes are actually made in the USA. What kills me about Nike is the fact so much of the price of the shoes goes to endorsement $ to pro athletes, almost all of whom I could care less about.
Appreciate 0