BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-31-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

supplements- what can i add into the mix?

current stack is

-insane (stimulant based basic preworkout)
-phosphatidic acid
-taurine
-citruline malate 2:1
-PEA (Phenylethylamine HCL)
-double dose of fish oil
-broccoli sprout extract

-glutamine and protein post workouts. goal is being stronger.

i don't feel like i'm missing anything, but i'm all ears.
      02-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Depends whats already in your preworkout, if it doesnt have it I'd throw in some beta-alanine. If the goal is strength probably wouldn't hurt to throw in some creatine. 5-10gs of BCAAs dependent on how intense your workouts are, relatively cheap addition. Think I just picked up 100 servings for like $13. Lots of eggs and peanut butter!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Nothing! its all chemicals that are not truly needed haha. Look at some of the top iron men and women as well as ultra runners that run for 15-48 hours straight. Most of them are all on vegan diets. I'm not saying go vegan but the benefits of just straight clean eating are better for recovery and workouts. You may feel a benefit from what your taking but what its doing to your body is another story. Not trying to be a smart a** just want you to know that good overall clean eating does some amazing things to your body especially with muscle recovery. I have tried many things and clean eating has far out weighed everything else I have done in terms of perfoemamce.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Natty strength . . . goals regarding body composition/weight? Age?

As JP10 said creatine hcl

More food, more often - but have to consider goals re composition/weight as stated above.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
BronkaidBrah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Just building strength? Squats and oats 5 sets to failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Nothing! its all chemicals that are not truly needed haha. Look at some of the top iron men and women as well as ultra runners that run for 15-48 hours straight. Most of them are all on vegan diets. I'm not saying go vegan but the benefits of just straight clean eating are better for recovery and workouts. You may feel a benefit from what your taking but what its doing to your body is another story. Not trying to be a smart a** just want you to know that good overall clean eating does some amazing things to your body especially with muscle recovery. I have tried many things and clean eating has far out weighed everything else I have done in terms of perfoemamce.
Meh chemicals are a pretty deragatory way to describe supplements since the ones mentioned are for the most part naturally reoccuring in your body, but not wrong by definition. I do agree that supplements aren't necessarily "needed" for natural strength building, but protein powder helps close the protein macro gap since getting a clean 200g+ of protein is a pain in the ass. Natural strength building shouldn't be compared to ultra runners lol, endurance and strength are fairly different, don't get me wrong it's impressive none the less.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Meh chemicals are a pretty deragatory way to describe supplements since the ones mentioned are for the most part naturally reoccuring in your body, but not wrong by definition. I do agree that supplements aren't necessarily "needed" for natural strength building, but protein powder helps close the protein macro gap since getting a clean 200g+ of protein is a pain in the ass. Natural strength building shouldn't be compared to ultra runners lol, endurance and strength are fairly different, don't get me wrong it's impressive none the less.
I definitely agree with you 100% just wanted to throw you some different ideas.
Appreciate 1
JP102461.00
      02-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Op...everyone will chime in on this with different suggestions. I do agree your age and body type are important here.

As for me, once I hit 40 I added HMB into my regimen. I was afraid of losing muscle getting older as many 40+ men do.

HMB is needed by the body to help protect and repair muscle tissue. It slows muscle protein breakdown and speeds up protein synthesis. And most importantly preserves the structural integrity of your muscle cells.

I have been taking it for over 6 years and combined with Squatting, Deadlifting and pressing has enabled me to retain my size and strength well past my mid 40s! Hope this helped
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Depends whats already in your preworkout, if it doesnt have it I'd throw in some beta-alanine. If the goal is strength probably wouldn't hurt to throw in some creatine. 5-10gs of BCAAs dependent on how intense your workouts are, relatively cheap addition. Think I just picked up 100 servings for like $13. Lots of eggs and peanut butter!!
its been a while since i've looked at the label, but i'm pretty sure the preworkout has beta alanine in it... bcaa's on the regular with my fishoil and broccoli extract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op...everyone will chime in on this with different suggestions. I do agree your age and body type are important here.

As for me, once I hit 40 I added HMB into my regimen. I was afraid of losing muscle getting older as many 40+ men do.

HMB is needed by the body to help protect and repair muscle tissue. It slows muscle protein breakdown and speeds up protein synthesis. And most importantly preserves the structural integrity of your muscle cells.

I have been taking it for over 6 years and combined with Squatting, Deadlifting and pressing has enabled me to retain my size and strength well past my mid 40s! Hope this helped
i'm about to be 32. slim and fit, but not lean by any stretch. no real goal body wise. i just enjoy lifting. i'm looking for suggestions like what you shared- HMB. i'm going to look into it.
      02-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

roastbeef....also worth looking into is a super greens powder. You mentioned already using broccoli extract, mind as well crank it up a 100% more and do super greens.

I have been using them for over 10 years and swear by them. The only brand I use is by a company called “San”. The product name is Green Supreme Fusion. This stuff is packed with so much nutrient rich fuel it’s ridiculous! I drink it every morning with apple cider vinegar, flax/chia, bone broth protein.

I buy mine on eBay for about 25.00, Amazon has it also. Those are the best deals. Nutrition stores sell it for 40+ dollars.

I highly recommend this super food supplement, the benefits are a plenty. You won’t be disappointed!!!!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11567.00
      02-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Soylent green
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
roastbeef....also worth looking into is a super greens powder. You mentioned already using broccoli extract, mind as well crank it up a 100% more and do super greens.

I have been using them for over 10 years and swear by them. The only brand I use is by a company called “San”. The product name is Green Supreme Fusion. This stuff is packed with so much nutrient rich fuel it’s ridiculous! I drink it every morning with apple cider vinegar, flax/chia, bone broth protein.

I buy mine on eBay for about 25.00, Amazon has it also. Those are the best deals. Nutrition stores sell it for 40+ dollars.

I highly recommend this super food supplement, the benefits are a plenty. You won’t be disappointed!!!!
I also recently threw DIM into the mix with the broccoli extract. I like it, but it's not as drastic as the fish oil with broccoli extract.
I used to take some kind of super greens mix. I really liked the extra fiber. I do need to get back on that. I'll checkout that brand you mentioned, thanks.
      02-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

You take creatine? I only take that fish oil, multi, some vitamin d, eat and lift heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You take creatine? I only take that fish oil, multi, some vitamin d, eat and lift heavy.
Nah, not in a long time. I didn't see a huge benefit- even with the kre alkalyn creatine. It kinda felt like a false pump.
      02-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Interesting, I have gut issues with it if take very much but makes me feel fuller everywhere. Not sure if it's related but also get better pump feeling it seems during workouts and havent had cramping I used to get particularly in quads.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

^ agree I get a better pump/fuller all around on creatine. Usually no gut issues as long as I am semi-mindful to what I am eating.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

10 pieces of Sour Patch kids before you workout! Creatine has always been on my list of supps. I was excited to see my blood work come back with high levels of creatine
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah I use swedish fish way better for working out bro cuz fish
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      02-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Interesting, I have gut issues with it if take very much but makes me feel fuller everywhere. Not sure if it's related but also get better pump feeling it seems during workouts and havent had cramping I used to get particularly in quads.
its been so long since i've taken it out of the mix, that i can't 100% articulate why i got over it. maybe i'll experiment with it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
10 pieces of Sour Patch kids before you workout! Creatine has always been on my list of supps. I was excited to see my blood work come back with high levels of creatine
i use GU energy chews from time to time. i can workout without them, but if my schedule doesn't allow for a small snack or i don't have anything decent to eat in the house, about three or four of these work well. its just so i'm not going to the gym on an empty stomach. once my stomach starts growling at the gym, i'm done. they are sort of expensive for what they are, but i use them sparingly, so they last a reasonable amount of time.
https://www.amazon.com/GU-Energy-Dou...ews+watermelon