BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #89
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performancedieselpros View Post
I have no idea what the hell this is a picture of but it's definitely not a kettlebell swing. Looks like a strict muscle swing or something but moving the bell from 6 to 3 o'clock is not a sustainable movement and will put an insane amount of strain on your back. It's impossible to carry momentum stopping at 6 o'clock each rep. It should go from 7:30 to midnight.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #90
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I have no idea what the hell this is a picture of but it's definitely not a kettlebell swing. Looks like a strict muscle swing or something but moving the bell from 6 to 3 o'clock is not a sustainable movement and will put an insane amount of strain on your back. It's impossible to carry momentum stopping at 6 o'clock each rep. It should go from 7:30 to midnight.
The point is to not use momentum!

You have to remember EVERY form of physical conditioning places emphasis on control and form, except crossfit! Hints the increase of injury in CF!

Muscle recruitment is key to healthy muscles and skeletal balance.

From sustainability standpoint you'll actually work your muscles, and not just hip flexors. Also actually less harsh on erectors spinae as it allows full glute, ham, quad recruitment!

Here's perspective, the best crossfitters are built on the gym floor using fundamental lifting.

Plus it helps to be around 5ft-5ft 9in.

Last edited by Performancedieselpros; 03-09-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #91
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

You have to remember EVERY form of physical conditioning places emphasis on control and form, except crossfit! Hints the increase of injury in CF!

From sustainability standpoint you'll actually work your muscles, and not just hip flexors. Also actually less harsh on erectors spinae as it allows full glute, ham, quad recruitment!

Here's perspective, the best crossfitters are built on the gym floor using fundamental lifting.

How do you know the words "erectors spinae" but not "hence"? I digress... but I just spent 15 minutes watching youtube videos on proper kettlebell swing form and none of them look like your pictured movement.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #92
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
How do you know the words "erectors spinae" but not "hence"?
Lmao, exercise physiology and fitness is what I do every day..... might aswell have English as a second language.

Why waste so much time watching kettlebell videos anyways, it's just a calorie burner more than anything?

Last edited by Performancedieselpros; 03-09-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #93
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

This video from Stef Cohen is a great example of the "jarring" associated with the Crossfit style kettlebell swing. I think she is a good hybrid athlete and a leader in the hybrid movement!

Watch the posterior chain energy transfer as she goes to stop the "momentum" at the end of the movement.

All it take it 1 time to slip a disc!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #94
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
You're officially an idiot.
You don't understand body mechanics bro!

Don't be all butt hurt simply because the C.F. cock that's been shoved down your throat so deep your brain lacks enough fresh oxygen in the blood to make sense of what is what.

Carry on, you keep making me giggle!

The funniest part is your exactly a perfect mold stereotype of why Cross fit has failed and is loosing followers.....

While REAL HEALTH AND FITNESS PROFESSIONALS are busier than ever!

You know the funny thing is one of the box common injuries in Crossfit is missing the jump on a damn plyobox!

And yall idiots wear it as a badge of honor.... how's "uncle Rhabdo" been by the way?

#crossfail
:
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #95
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
Guys,

Thanks for all your help. I will go and check out one of the CF gyms in the area.

I went to the website and they have like 20 coaches listed. Most of them have CrossFit level 2 certification (a few have 1 or 3).
if you can find a level 3 then go there. level 2 next.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #96
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:

honestly injury happens in CF b/c they allow anyone with a Level 1 trainer license to open a gym and coach. And all you have to do to get the level 1 is attend a weekend course. Most of the injuries and horror stories you hear about in CF are due to poor coaching and less so on poor movement....b/c they weren't talk correctly.
Appreciate 2
scostu1619.50
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #97
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
honestly injury happens in CF b/c they allow anyone with a Level 1 trainer license to open a gym and coach. And all you have to do to get the level 1 is attend a weekend course. Most of the injuries and horror stories you hear about in CF are due to poor coaching and less so on poor movement....b/c they weren't talk correctly.
Agreed!

I personally feel if there was more focus on exercise physiology and mechanics rather than pace and group hugs and high fives it'd be a very different scenario.

Guy I used to train with 15yrs ago owns a gym locally, and has an in depth Personal training background. He shares your thoughts, and says "the greatest contribution to fitness Greg Glassman and Crossfit has done is make it mainstream and attempt to put a definition to what "fitness" is.".
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      03-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #98
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
This video from Stef Cohen is a great example of the "jarring" associated with the Crossfit style kettlebell swing. I think she is a good hybrid athlete and a leader in the hybrid movement!

Watch the posterior chain energy transfer as she goes to stop the "momentum" at the end of the movement.

All it take it 1 time to slip a disc!

This is exactly how russian KB swings are taught in CF. Whatever you do as far as exercise physiology, I fear for your clients.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #99
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
This is exactly how russian KB swings are taught in CF. Whatever you do as far as exercise physiology, I fear for your clients.
It's funny this came back up. Was watching a guy in the gym the other day lifting that had the typical crossfit leotard compression get up on, sporting Reebok like it's going out of style! Now while he had great lower build as most C.F. followers do from the excessive squating, watching what yall call over head presses is frankly awesomely cute! Cheese and rice people, no wonder y all blow your shoulders out all the time!

Lol, funny part "we" the exercise physiologist specialize in correcting your anterior pelvic tilts from over tightened hip flexors, hip girdle, and erector spinae(see below), compressed nerves, and all the other fun and exciting things bad mechanics create!

As far as my clients go, I let my ability, experience, and proof in the pudding do the work! I'm as natty as can be, only take 3500cals a day on a 50p/30f/20c split, Agmatine, kre-akalyn, and 6 servings of BCAAs a day with glutamine and L-Carnitine. Oh and take a myovite multi pack 2x a day! As soom as Im 35 TRT in full effect if needed!

My 6'5" femurs sporting quads with little sun lol!

This is something I wouldn't have my client do, but I will!!!!! 275# for 8 on the Swiss ball as a finisher to a fun home lift!

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #100
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Anyone wanna chime in on CrossFits big announcement of changes to the Games and overall direction? Shocked alot of ppl
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #101
hooligan_G01
Rep

Well, with no real specifics, it's hard to comment intelligently.

I don't hate the idea of the Regionals going away, and I actually like the intentional shift of focus from CrossFit headquarters away from the Games and toward general health for all of its participants.

Given the lawsuit(s) between Glassman, Castro and Reebok, I wouldn't be surprised to see that partnership go away, either. Especially with a lot of other footwear/clothing companies offering "CrossFit" focused goods now.

Also, thanks for bumping this thread - I left because of the nonsense and now I see that the #1 basher of CrossFit actually posted a picture of himself doing bench on a fucking bosu ball! Priceless....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #102
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well, with no real specifics, it's hard to comment intelligently.

I don't hate the idea of the Regionals going away, and I actually like the intentional shift of focus from CrossFit headquarters away from the Games and toward general health for all of its participants.

Given the lawsuit(s) between Glassman, Castro and Reebok, I wouldn't be surprised to see that partnership go away, either. Especially with a lot of other footwear/clothing companies offering "CrossFit" focused goods now.

Also, thanks for bumping this thread - I left because of the nonsense and now I see that the #1 basher of CrossFit actually posted a picture of himself doing bench on a fucking bosu ball! Priceless....
No prob, yeah all those pics had me cracking up. Guy was here for like a week blasting everyone about Fitness. I don’t think he had 1 actual car post.

Anyway, I liked your response. Crossfit was due for a shake up and restructure based on a lot of issues. But yes the “Games” have taken over CF. I understand Glassmans shift of focus and global out reach. His original intent was not to create the “Games” that was just a biproduct of this training regime. In essence “testing fitness” in a competitive setting.

I am curious to see how this “Olympic” style of competition pans out, with Global representation from all countries. Combined with a season of competitions for qualifying.

I think they should separate the Sport of CF and CF. Have another entity run CFs professional division (properly with PED testing), and have Glassman run CFs Heath and Fitness Division. Just a thought.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #103
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
No prob, yeah all those pics had me cracking up. Guy was here for like a week blasting everyone about Fitness. I don’t think he had 1 actual car post.

Anyway, I liked your response. Crossfit was due for a shake up and restructure based on a lot of issues. But yes the “Games” have taken over CF. I understand Glassmans shift of focus and global out reach. His original intent was not to create the “Games” that was just a biproduct of this training regime. In essence “testing fitness” in a competitive setting.

I am curious to see how this “Olympic” style of competition pans out, with Global representation from all countries. Combined with a season of competitions for qualifying.

I think they should separate the Sport of CF and CF. Have another entity run CFs professional division (properly with PED testing), and have Glassman run CFs Heath and Fitness Division. Just a thought.
Yeah, it almost sounds like a cross between a setup like having sanctioned weightlifting meets and Nike's Grid League. I can't imagine it's going to be that much cheaper, but without any real details it's hard to speculate.

Using the Open to qualify people for the Games has already shown itself to be an issue with respect to Regionals. You would, essentially, have to audit every qualifier's workout videos. Although you could probably skip through Fraser's and Toomey's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #104
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it almost sounds like a cross between a setup like having sanctioned weightlifting meets and Nike's Grid League. I can't imagine it's going to be that much cheaper, but without any real details it's hard to speculate.

Using the Open to qualify people for the Games has already shown itself to be an issue with respect to Regionals. You would, essentially, have to audit every qualifier's workout videos. Although you could probably skip through Fraser's and Toomey's.
I think Glassman is looking for big comps like Wodapolluza, Granite Games, Throwdowns...to take on those costs for the individual comps and CF would just deal with the “Opens” and Games. But the total number of athletes will quadruple. Seems like a logistic nightmare. I don’t see the money saving there. He would make it up in his globalization plan tho, wanting boxes in every country and more members across the world.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #105
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I think Glassman is looking for big comps like Wodapolluza, Granite Games, Throwdowns...to take on those costs for the individual comps and CF would just deal with the “Opens” and Games. But the total number of athletes will quadruple. Seems like a logistic nightmare. I don’t see the money saving there. He would make it up in his globalization plan tho, wanting boxes in every country and more members across the world.
It'll be interesting to see what actually happens when the true details are officially announced. Glassman has proved to be "crazy like a fox" so far when it comes to his baby, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #106
hooligan_G01
Rep

I thought this would be appropriate to post in this thread.

"Our findings suggest that CrossFit training is relatively safe compared with more traditional training modalities. However, it seems that those within their first year of training as well as those who engage in this training modality less than 3 days per week and/or participate in less than 3 workouts per week are at a greater risk for injuries."

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1...ShareContainer
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #107
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

crossfit is no better than any other workout regimen. they are pretty cultish with their workout/exercise dogma but their workouts are hard and they can put you in good shape. they like to talk about functional exercises and most of that is a load of crap and id argue that sticking diligently to crossfit will lead to more injuries not less.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #108
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
crossfit is no better than any other workout regimen. they are pretty cultish with their workout/exercise dogma but their workouts are hard and they can put you in good shape. they like to talk about functional exercises and most of that is a load of crap and id argue that sticking diligently to crossfit will lead to more injuries not less.
Well, you can argue anything you'd like, but the data simply doesn't back up your position.

Unless you've got access to some studies that none of us has seen?

Do CrossFit, don't do CrossFit, I couldn't care less. Each unto their own. However, there's no need to make up reasons - like "you'll get rhabdo!" - for why you choose not to do it. Right?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #109
LemonTree
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
Thats true. Agree with u!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #110
hooligan_G01
Rep

Appreciate 0