BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
adwheels
Adwheels
Rep
Drives:

911 Convert to 1 Series

I'm a 997 C4S Cab owner and Porsche owner for 10 years - 3 years Boxster, 6 years 996 C4 Cab, and one year C4S cab.

I've been reading with some amusement the threads comparing the 911 to the 1, especially some people's disbelief that the two can even be compared.

Guess what - they compare quite nicely, or at least the 135 does. The C4S Cab is going out to pasture. Now granted, it's partly a financial decision. I can lease a 1 for a third of what the Porsche costs. And also a practical one - my two girls are getting too big for the rear seat of the 997, and the one actually has decent space for kids back there.

But mostly it's about fun. After each of three long test drives in the 135, I had the same reaction - "that is one fun car!" Solid, powerful, responsive, agile. Put a big smile on my face. I've been looking for a car under $60,000 to replace the 997 for about 3 months - driven them all (though they had to have four seats) and the 135 is the only contender.

Funny thing - before I had the Boxster, I had a first generation Miata. I never had a car made me smile so much. None of the Porsches had that effect. They would amaze me with their power, and effortless grace, but I wouldn't necessarily describe Porsches as fun. Rather, they're consummately involving, almost too much beast for most times and most roads.

The 135 is an almost perfect cross between the tossable fun of the Miata and the awesome capabilities of the 911. My only complaint is the gearbox - downshifting, especially from 3rd to 2nd takes a major yank of the stick. I've read this can be fixed, so no worries.

So I'm ordering a 135 convertible - SGM with black, lots of goodies. See you on the road. And if you're in a Porsche, and I've got my Dinan installed, I'll see you in my rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

You are going to love it. Welcome aboard.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
NickmanBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

interesting comparison. Most people upgrade from a bmw to porsche not vice versa. You really cannot deny the 135's value though. My only complaint is what you compliment... I was almost sold on the 135, and then I sat in the back seat. This thing honustly has less room than my e36 m3. That still doesn't stop me from being a 1addict Enjoy that vert
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
NovaBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 325i 6MT

what about the Cayman?
      05-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
lots of former por owners switching to the 1... good to see its well respected in your former crowd

welcome to the boards

and hope to see you at one of meets i am arranging for june
-dave
      05-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabimmer View Post
what about the Cayman?
The OP said he needs a back seat for his kids.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
2000C4
Private
Rep
Drives: 996 c4

I went from a 996 C4 coupe to a 135 Cab. My car arrives monday or tuesday next week. I have still not driven a 135. I hope I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwheels View Post
I'm a 997 C4S Cab owner and Porsche owner for 10 years - 3 years Boxster, 6 years 996 C4 Cab, and one year C4S cab.

I've been reading with some amusement the threads comparing the 911 to the 1, especially some people's disbelief that the two can even be compared.

Guess what - they compare quite nicely, or at least the 135 does. The C4S Cab is going out to pasture. Now granted, it's partly a financial decision. I can lease a 1 for a third of what the Porsche costs. And also a practical one - my two girls are getting too big for the rear seat of the 997, and the one actually has decent space for kids back there.

But mostly it's about fun. After each of three long test drives in the 135, I had the same reaction - "that is one fun car!" Solid, powerful, responsive, agile. Put a big smile on my face. I've been looking for a car under $60,000 to replace the 997 for about 3 months - driven them all (though they had to have four seats) and the 135 is the only contender.

Funny thing - before I had the Boxster, I had a first generation Miata. I never had a car made me smile so much. None of the Porsches had that effect. They would amaze me with their power, and effortless grace, but I wouldn't necessarily describe Porsches as fun. Rather, they're consummately involving, almost too much beast for most times and most roads.

The 135 is an almost perfect cross between the tossable fun of the Miata and the awesome capabilities of the 911. My only complaint is the gearbox - downshifting, especially from 3rd to 2nd takes a major yank of the stick. I've read this can be fixed, so no worries.

So I'm ordering a 135 convertible - SGM with black, lots of goodies. See you on the road. And if you're in a Porsche, and I've got my Dinan installed, I'll see you in my rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think I'd just opt for a 996 TT and a civic to carry the kids over 1er. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy View Post
I went from a 996 C4 coupe to a 135 Cab. My car arrives monday or tuesday next week. I have still not driven a 135. I hope I like it.

You bought it and you have not driven a 135i? Heh, bold! The good news is that you are in for one freaking treat. The 1 series Verts are wonderful inside. Bigger then the coup, quite and the top function while going down the road is cool. I drove a 128i Vert to test the whole 1 series Vert experience and I fell instantly in love with it. Then I drove the 135i to experience the engine....oh brother are you in for a treat :thumbup:

135i Vert is the best of both worlds.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:

As an owner of BOTH cars, I do not have any biased loyalty to one over the other. They are indeed different animals. And they are both awesome in their own right. Even with the Dinan treatment, I am quite certain that there are many Porsches you would not see in your rearview mirror. However, that is not the prime measurement of these cars anyway and really says very little to reflect the differences between them.

Almost any car can be modified to be a better handling car, if you are not satisfied with the stock setup. The vast majority of 1-Series owners will not modify their ECU, as the vast majority of Porsche owners will not modify their vehicles either. Modifying BOTH vehicles will prove the superior performance capabilities of the 997 Porsche, and leaving them both stock will do the same.

I do wholeheartedly believe that the 135i is one of the best all-around FUN cars for the money that has ever been offered in automotive history. The moment I learned about this car, I wanted one. That's why I took the very first delivery at my BMW dealership. I only wish I had purchased the 'vert the first time, but it wasn't available during the initial release, and I was so excited about the car, I became impulsive and bought the Coupe. Oh well... a lesson for my life... could be worse.

I am surprised you didn't describe the same smile on your face when you drove your Porsches, yet you owned three of them... so, I assume they must have been pretty damned good and a lot of fun for you to have spent that kind of dough on three of them!

I wish you tons of fun and good luck with your new 135i, and if you don't miss your three Porsches, that's OK. Me? Having both is something only dreams are made of, and I do not go a day in my life where I am not grateful... of course, I am mostly grateful for my family, my friends, and my health... but nice cars are a great part of our lives that every member of this forum completely understands!

I love the Porsche AND the 135i!... two incredible machines! :smile:
      05-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When, if?, I grow up I want to be Tag!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19&quot; Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black &quot;911&quot; script/&quot;Gundo Hack&quot;/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Nice review. Welcome to the dark side!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
When, if?, I grow up I want to be Tag!
LOL... lacrosse, you are WAY too kind. Thank you for that... really... but trust me, you are best off just who you are! :wink:

(I couldn't find a "blushing" smiley...LOL.)
      05-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I had a HUGE smile on my face driving the excellent Cayman S, but with no back seat and $24k more I went 135i Vert. Will never look back, although I have said this before and I will say it again...I think the Cayman S is the best looking car made. Perfect hips
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
2000C4
Private
Rep
Drives: 996 c4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I had a HUGE smile on my face driving the excellent Cayman S, but with no back seat and $24k more I went 135i Vert. Will never look back, although I have said this before and I will say it again...I think the Cayman S is the best looking car made. Perfect hips
I actually test drove a cayman S a week before putting money down on a 135i. I ended up getting a brand new 2007 $64k cayman S down to $50k. I walked and paid sticker for my 135 vert. Monday or Tuesday ill know if that was the right decision.

Ive owned a 01 z06, e39 m5, e46 m3, b5 S4, 996 c4. The c4 was by far my favorite car. Its going to be a tough one to beat.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Congrats and welcome!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy View Post
I actually test drove a cayman S a week before putting money down on a 135i. I ended up getting a brand new 2007 $64k cayman S down to $50k. I walked and paid sticker for my 135 vert. Monday or Tuesday ill know if that was the right decision.

Ive owned a 01 z06, e39 m5, e46 m3, b5 S4, 996 c4. The c4 was by far my favorite car. Its going to be a tough one to beat.
Don't want to stray too far here, but how'd you like that '01 Z06? And, also, did you choose the C4 instead of the C2S, due to your East Coast winters?
      05-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
adwheels
Adwheels
Rep
Drives:

Tagman -

Different kind in smiles in different kinds of cars. Yes, I absolutely loved all my Porsches, especially the 996 and the 997, but they're almost too capable. To get a real buzz out of them I had to push them to their limits - and you know that the limit of a Porsche is pretty damn high - almost dangerously high. I miss the ease and relative safety of putting my Miata into a four wheel drift. Not that the 135 is quite the same car, but it's closer to the Miata in spirit than the 997, while still being enough of a beast. If I had the bucks now to own both, I would. But I'm happy that for less money for a Porsche, there's still a car out there that will thrill like the 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tagman -

Different kind in smiles in different kinds of cars. Yes, I absolutely loved all my Porsches, especially the 996 and the 997, but they're almost too capable. To get a real buzz out of them I had to push them to their limits - and you know that the limit of a Porsche is pretty damn high - almost dangerously high. I miss the ease and relative safety of putting my Miata into a four wheel drift. Not that the 135 is quite the same car, but it's closer to the Miata in spirit than the 997, while still being enough of a beast. If I had the bucks now to own both, I would. But I'm happy that for less money for a Porsche, there's still a car out there that will thrill like the 1.
I understand completely.

Under similar circumstances, I would do the exact same thing!

When I go from the 997 to the 135i (or the other way around), it is a little strange for the first few minutes as I readjust to the car. The dynamics are really quite different! Yet they both are incredible in their own way.

Good luck!! :smile:
      05-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
As an owner of BOTH cars, I do not have any biased loyalty to one over the other. They are indeed different animals. And they are both awesome in their own right. Even with the Dinan treatment, I am quite certain that there are many Porsches you would not see in your rearview mirror. However, that is not the prime measurement of these cars anyway and really says very little to reflect the differences between them.

Almost any car can be modified to be a better handling car, if you are not satisfied with the stock setup. The vast majority of 1-Series owners will not modify their ECU, as the vast majority of Porsche owners will not modify their vehicles either. Modifying BOTH vehicles will prove the superior performance capabilities of the 997 Porsche, and leaving them both stock will do the same.

I do wholeheartedly believe that the 135i is one of the best all-around FUN cars for the money that has ever been offered in automotive history. The moment I learned about this car, I wanted one. That's why I took the very first delivery at my BMW dealership. I only wish I had purchased the 'vert the first time, but it wasn't available during the initial release, and I was so excited about the car, I became impulsive and bought the Coupe. Oh well... a lesson for my life... could be worse.

I am surprised you didn't describe the same smile on your face when you drove your Porsches, yet you owned three of them... so, I assume they must have been pretty damned good and a lot of fun for you to have spent that kind of dough on three of them!

I wish you tons of fun and good luck with your new 135i, and if you don't miss your three Porsches, that's OK. Me? Having both is something only dreams are made of, and I do not go a day in my life where I am not grateful... of course, I am mostly grateful for my family, my friends, and my health... but nice cars are a great part of our lives that every member of this forum completely understands!

I love the Porsche AND the 135i!... two incredible machines! :smile:
A real man would have gotten the M3 in addition to the Carrera. :wink:

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #22
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post