BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Suggestions for a week south in early October

Long story short the missus and I can dump the kids for a week (very late september into early october) and spend it wherever we want. Looked at Europe but wife leaning towards a beach vacation as well as seeing some sights and i just cannot see us doing both in Europe in a week. Only city that comes to mind is Barcelona but we have been there.

Looked at Portugal, flying into Lisbon and out of Porto but beaches look pretty crappy tbh, am I wrong there?

Anyways, so now considering south, say Aruba or somewhere outside the hurricane belt. Seems really appealing but even say something high end like the Ritz resort has no end of crappy reviews and TBH looks tired on the photos they provide and it always looks worse when you get there.

Is somewhere in Florida doable or just not the season?

Any help appreciated either in regards to a european destination I am missing or somewhere in Florida or Caribbean. Ideally little to no kids.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Long story short the missus and I can dump the kids for a week (very late september into early october) and spend it wherever we want. Looked at Europe but wife leaning towards a beach vacation as well as seeing some sights and i just cannot see us doing both in Europe in a week. Only city that comes to mind is Barcelona but we have been there.

Looked at Portugal, flying into Lisbon and out of Porto but beaches look pretty crappy tbh, am I wrong there?

Anyways, so now considering south, say Aruba or somewhere outside the hurricane belt. Seems really appealing but even say something high end like the Ritz resort has no end of crappy reviews and TBH looks tired on the photos they provide and it always looks worse when you get there.

Any help appreciated either in regards to a european destination I am missing or somewhere in Florida or Caribbean. Ideally little to no kids.
I travel. A lot. Couple of questions:

1) What is your budget all in, inclusive of airfare, hotel, food, et al?

2) How far are you willing to fly (in hours) and how many time zones?

06-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:

A second vote for a budget.

South of France is nice, depends on your budget. Mallorca maybe? Maybe San Diego? Everyone I have talked to loved Aruba.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Florida and the entire gulf coast is doable, but you will still be in hurricane season so at a minimum you should get good trip insurance (including hotel/condo).

I’m a cool weather person, so when I vacation in Florida it is in winter and only in the panhandle. Going to hit Orange Beach and Gulf Shores next, but probably a year or more away. Liked Destin and Panama City Beach, easy to get a condo rental (VRBO), can drive from where I am but you’d likely want to fly. Beaches in the panhandle generally are white sand and very nice.

Can’t help with Barcelona or Portugal; haven’t been to either in over 50 years! On the list, however.

Run Silent is correct in asking about budget and travel tolerances. The world is full of great choices if you can do it. Maldives? Bora Bora? Always lots of good travel deals if you’re willing to sign up for new credit cards, and play the travel games. Others are far more expert in this arena than I.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Florida and the entire gulf coast is doable, but you will still be in hurricane season so at a minimum you should get good trip insurance (including hotel/condo).

I’m a cool weather person, so when I vacation in Florida it is in winter and only in the panhandle. Going to hit Orange Beach and Gulf Shores next, but probably a year or more away. Liked Destin and Panama City Beach, easy to get a condo rental (VRBO), can drive from where I am but you’d likely want to fly. Beaches in the panhandle generally are white sand and very nice.

Can’t help with Barcelona or Portugal; haven’t been to either in over 50 years! On the list, however.

Run Silent is correct in asking about budget and travel tolerances. The world is full of great choices if you can do it. Maldives? Bora Bora? Always lots of good travel deals if you’re willing to sign up for new credit cards, and play the travel games. Others are far more expert in this arena than I.
Bora Bora is on my bucket list. We almost made it work for our honeymoon. Orange Beach is excellent also. You gotta go to Lulu's!
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
As far as a beach vacation, most of Europe is out because you're going potentially in early October. Parts of Greece are at the top of the list of few European destinations where you'll have reliably warm temperatures and relatively pleasant weather during that time.

As far as Central and South America, you would be going during rainy season. You might luck out and it only rains for 15 minutes a day or you might not.

Come up with a list of priorities of what you prefer from the vacation, the sights you want to see and then ignore the list while booking travel to Hawaii.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      06-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
As far as a beach vacation, most of Europe is out because you're going potentially in early October. Parts of Greece are at the top of the list of few European destinations where you'll have reliably warm temperatures and relatively pleasant weather during that time.

As far as Central and South America, you would be going during rainy season. You might luck out and it only rains for 15 minutes a day or you might not.

Come up with a list of priorities of what you prefer from the vacation, the sights you want to see and then ignore the list while booking travel to Hawaii.
I love Kauai, but for beaches I hear Maui is better.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Why not southern CA? You can do San Diego, or Dana Point/Laguna Nigel.

I'd stay away from FL in hurricane season. Why chance it, or put yourself through the stress of watching the weather. Aruba is really the only place outside the hurricane belt. I haven't been there in 30 years.
      06-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I hear the Dominican Republic is nice.
Appreciate 6
2000cs3495.00
upstatedoc7555.50
kscarrol8889.50
RickFLM410954.50
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I travel. A lot. Couple of questions:

1) What is your budget all in, inclusive of airfare, hotel, food, et al?

2) How far are you willing to fly (in hours) and how many time zones?

1) in USD, maybe $4k tops

2) I fly a long way a lot, like a fucking long way ... with kids. So shorter the better but up to 8 hrs or so.

TBh the answer to my question is Greece but we have been there.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
No need to waste money on a round-trip ticket!
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
The end of the trip can suck though.....
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
No need to waste money on a round-trip ticket!
Right? I also hear the drinks are tasty!
Appreciate 2
2000cs3495.00
Alfisti6496.00
      06-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Why not southern CA? You can do San Diego, or Dana Point/Laguna Nigel. .
I'll take a look at them, thanks.

I am happy to go to the USA but want it relaxed, went to South Beach once and fucking loathed it, all the hidden charges pissed me off to no end and the price of food was absolutely insane. Hated it.

So keen to look at SD but I assume no resort and would need to do it ourselves in a nice hotel and find food and drinks from there.

One issue with California is it's a third of the way home, part of me just wants to keep going.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'd say the Maldives, but the time of year you're looking at is pretty much the height of their rainy season.. Beautiful otherwise!

If you're a golfer and like to look at beaches, rather than swim, Hilton Head, SC is a great option in the US. Lots of stuff to do there and will be pretty quiet during that time of year. Might be a bit too cool for swimming, but up to you

Belize is really nice, but that time of year is hurricane season (as you mentioned), worth going if you've never been there! Bonus points because your money goes a long way there.

What about Fiji? Never been there personally, but I hear its pretty amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Dana Point is like $700 a night CDN, fucking no.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #17
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1) in USD, maybe $4k tops

2) I fly a long way a lot, like a fucking long way ... with kids. So shorter the better but up to 8 hrs or so.

TBh the answer to my question is Greece but we have been there.

If that is the case - then I recommend Hawaii without a doubt. Stick with Oahu if you want some activities to do and some shopping - also, no connecting flights needed. You can book at Turtle Bay on the North Shore or at the the Four Seasons in Ko'Olina and still get the 'away from it all' vibe of Maui or other smaller islands.

If wanting to go overseas, then check out Malta. Lovely country and certainly a European feel, but very 'beachy'. Check out the Radisson Blu if you need a lovely beach. Want something a bit more European and Boutique? Check out Casa Ellul.

I would recommend some lovely places in Africa as well, but am hesitant since airfare would eat up most of your budget even though once there, prices would be cheap. If interested in some of these options, let me know and I can rattle off a few.

Wild card?

One of my favorite locations and one of my favorite hotels. The Waldorf Astoria in Key West. No time zone issues, lovely weather, and if you eat like a local then food prices aren't too bad.
      06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm Maltese, been there twice but it may make sense, there's history, exploration and swimming.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      06-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm Maltese, been there twice but it may make sense, there's history, exploration and swimming.
LOL - who knew! I good friend of mine is from there and lives there. He loves it. It's a lovely country.
      06-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
LOL - who knew! I good friend of mine is from there and lives there. He loves it. It's a lovely country.
My parents were born there and moved to Australia quite young. Funny, wife mentioned it a few weeks back as she saw it had the warmest weather.

Hawaii, damn, i knew you guys would suggest that. Given we go through there to go home it always feels like "we will stop in one day" but we don't.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My parents were born there and moved to Australia quite young. Funny, wife mentioned it a few weeks back as she saw it had the warmest weather.

Hawaii, damn, i knew you guys would suggest that. Given we go through there to go home it always feels like "we will stop in one day" but we don't.
I just priced out a week in early OCT-19 at Turtle Bay in Hawaii with an ocean front room and round trip airfare from Toronto and it came to $3,100. So very doable in your budget.
      06-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Hilton Head looks OK but I am getting a South Beach vibe of monumentally over priced food and drinks, add the $USD exchange and i can see it getting seriously expensive.

What would you drop a day on food, drinks, tips and other random shit Americans charge you for but don't tell you about? $300?
Appreciate 0