BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-13-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Morally speaking, should this seller be responsible?

So I purchased a JB Plus tune from a member here not too long ago claiming he got the wrong one for his car. The item was listed in the G20 Member's Classifieds section. Being listed here I would assume it will fit my car as long as I have a B58. The picture clearly shows it's for a B58.

However, I clearly made the mistake of not asking enough questions or learning more about these tunes. Apparently, there's a 3-wire and a 4-wire version. Of course, the guy is selling a 4-wire version while my car needed a 3-wire version.

My grip is that this 4-wire version does not fit ANY G20. And yet, he posted in the G20 classifieds.

When I ask, he simply said "all sales final" which of course, there's nothing I can do since I used Zelle. I haven't really pushed him to take it back but what do you all think? Should he feel morally obligated to take it back or should I be obligated to just try to resell it since I didn't do enough research?

To be frank, I have actually pretty much accepted that I'm SOL but I thought I just ask what you all would've done if you were the seller in this case and made the same mistake. If I ask, would you take it back?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocomppro View Post
My grip is that this 4-wire version does not fit ANY G20. And yet, he posted in the G20 classifieds.
All depends on this statement. If he said it fit a G20, and it doesn't fit a G20, he SHOULD take it back.

If he didn't, that's on him. Karma and such.

I once sold a set of GT-R headlights with the new LED's in them that I had installed in my car. UPS trashed them. I sent them in the original packing boxes. When receiver refused them because they were damaged, I refunded his money. I should have packed them so that they wouldn't get trashed being thrown around.

This guy should do the same. But if he knew better ANYWAY, he won't. Was just trying to unload.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
So I purchased a JB Plus tune from a member here not too long ago claiming he got the wrong one for his car. The item was listed in the G20 Member's Classifieds section. Being listed here I would assume it will fit my car as long as I have a B58. The picture clearly shows it's for a B58.

However, I clearly made the mistake of not asking enough questions or learning more about these tunes. Apparently, there's a 3-wire and a 4-wire version. Of course, the guy is selling a 4-wire version while my car needed a 3-wire version.

When I ask, he simply said "all sales final" which of course, there's nothing I can do since I used Zelle. I haven't really pushed him to take it back but what do you all think? Should he feel morally obligated to take it back or should I be obligated to just try to resell it since I didn't do enough research?

To be frank, I have actually pretty much accepted that I'm SOL but I thought I just ask what you all would've done if you were the seller in this case and made the same mistake. If I ask, would you take it back?
Caveat Emptor. Negative feedback if no refund and move on..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #4
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Always use paypal for these types of purchases - why use Zelle? Paypal will refund you if the seller misadvertised like in this situation. Definitely wrong imo.

Did seller request zelle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Llarry14500.00
dradernh4179.00
      08-14-2023, 03:08 AM   #5
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
All depends on this statement. If he said it fit a G20, and it doesn't fit a G20, he SHOULD take it back.

If he didn't, that's on him. Karma and such.

Shawn
He never stated that it fit anything. Just stated that it doesn't fit his N55.

But shouldn't posting on a G20 forum, potential buyers should presume all items sold here should fit a G20 (aside from the different trims of course).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 03:09 AM   #6
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Caveat Emptor. Negative feedback if no refund and move on..
How do you give negative feedback in a forum? I bought it from someone here, paying cash (Zelle).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 03:12 AM   #7
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Always use paypal for these types of purchases - why use Zelle? Paypal will refund you if the seller misadvertised like in this situation. Definitely wrong imo.

Did seller request zelle?
Seller claim he didn't have PayPal. Only Zelle.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 06:10 AM   #8
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

I am uniformed about jb4, but what’s the difference between 3 and 4 wire? Not taking seller side, can you just resell it again if the unit is functional and not broken? Just take any loss as a lesson learned to never pay using zelle and always paypal goods and service.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:13 AM   #9
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:

But shouldn't posting on a G20 forum, potential buyers should presume all items sold here should fit a G20 (aside from the different trims of course).
Hmmm. Uneducated seller sells inappropriate item to uneducated buyer. I’d still take it back, but that certainly makes it more murky. Neither of you knew much about the item. Neither do I, but you weren’t “scammed” per say, you were “stupided”

Shawn
Appreciate 3
ShopVac4020.00
Buug95916851.50
      08-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I doubt you could prove intent by the seller but, even then, why wouldn't you confirm fitment? If someone were selling wheels on a BMW forum (model specific sub-forum or not), I'd still want to make sure they'd clear the brakes on my car, which size tires would be needed to not rub, offset fit w/o spacers, etc...

Devil's advocate but seller may mot have known which specific wire version fit a G20 (or that there was more than one version) and was just plastering their FS post in as many places as possible to get a hit. Not necessarily right on them to not do their homework before posting and leading to a situation such as yours but something, something trust but verify.

On the plus side, assuming the unit is functional, you can sell it yourself at the expense of maybe not breaking even as well as the time/hassle to go about selling it. So, at least not a total loss.
      08-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

This happened to me with a roof rack for a Porsche. Seller on the forum showed generic pictures of the car with the rack. He did provide the part number and I thought I looked it up and that it was right part (don’t remember tbh). I assumed it was roof rack (cross bars) since that was what the title said. Turns out it was a bike rack. I don’t have the cross bars so this was useless for me (and I also don’t bike).

Fortunately, I paid with an Amex so I called them and explained my situation. They ended up reimbursing me for it. I honestly wasn’t sure if that was a covered purchase but man, you gotta love Amex. It’s been a few years and the bike rack has been sitting here collecting dust. lol moral of the story is always check things, and always pay with a credit card or PayPal. Unless it’s someone who you know, lives nearby, and trusts, don’t Zelle or Venmo.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      08-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm. Uneducated seller sells inappropriate item to uneducated buyer. I’d still take it back, but that certainly makes it more murky. Neither of you knew much about the item. Neither do I, but you weren’t “scammed” per say, you were “stupided”

Shawn
This. I doubt he researched after he found it wouldn’t work on his car and he probably posted in the G20 forum because the G20 also uses the B58.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

come on now, this aint macys, buyer beware
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #14
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:

When you assume, you make an ass out of u & me
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #15
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Won’t burger tuning either exchange it or provide an adaptor?
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58915.00
shawnhayes1816.00
      08-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Won’t burger tuning either exchange it or provide an adaptor?
Adapter. That’s a good idea!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-14-2023, 12:23 PM   #17
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Adapter. That’s a good idea!!
Best idea I've seen all day.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
M2siast5741.00
      08-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:

Yah right.

I had a feeling you were going to say that. That should have been the red flag honestly. We live and we learn. How much did he charge you, apologies if you already mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:32 PM   #19
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Instant red flag. RUN. No recourse for buyer when using Zelle and that’s why these jackasses demand it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:05 PM   #20
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
I am uniformed about jb4, but what’s the difference between 3 and 4 wire? Not taking seller side, can you just resell it again if the unit is functional and not broken? Just take any loss as a lesson learned to never pay using zelle and always paypal goods and service.
It needs to match the same number of wires on the TMAP sensor, which apparently is different on different cars using the same based engine.

I think I will try the resell route. I did post on FB and a mini forum but so far, zero interested after 5 days.

Quote:
Never said I was scammed. I do believed he didn't know about the difference either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I doubt you could prove intent by the seller but, even then, why wouldn't you confirm fitment? If someone were selling wheels on a BMW forum (model specific sub-forum or not), I'd still want to make sure they'd clear the brakes on my car, which size tires would be needed to not rub, offset fit w/o spacers, etc...

On the plus side, assuming the unit is functional, you can sell it yourself at the expense of maybe not breaking even as well as the time/hassle to go about selling it. So, at least not a total loss.
I don't believe he knew the difference either. I'm leaning towards reselling but it seems demand for this isn't as high outside of G20 for some reason.

------------------

Thanks for all the input. Lesson (valued at $100) learned of course. I think I will try to contact the guy and see if he is willing to take it back, asking nicely of course. Won't push him hard or anything. Won't hurt to try, right? If he doesn't take it back, I'll just try and sell it myself...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #21
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
BMS's website is pretty clear, to me:

https://burgertuning.com/collections...-jb-plus-tuner

It does work on G20 cars, unlike what you said. So seller sold it in the right spot. You just happen to need the 3-wire version since you have a 340i. Sell it to a 330i owner. Or in the G42 forum to a 230i owner. Or to a Mini/FWD BMW 235i owner.

Also, didn't you say he said "all sales final"? I thought that implied you asked him to accept a return already. Is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:35 PM   #22
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Never said I was scammed. I do believed he didn't know about the difference either.

Thanks for all the input. Lesson (valued at $100) learned of course. I think I will try to contact the guy and see if he is willing to take it back, asking nicely of course. Won't push him hard or anything. Won't hurt to try, right? If he doesn't take it back, I'll just try and sell it myself...
I know. However, if he knowingly sold something on a G20 forum that he KNEW wouldn't work on a G20, I say that is a "scam" to an extent. Doesn't look like he knew any better either. Damn sure I wouldn't.

If a $100 lesson would teach me all the hard knock lessons I've had to learn in life, that would be inexpensive at best.

And no, generally doesn't hurt to try, unless friends or relatives. Then it can.

Shawn
Appreciate 0