BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

11-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
Mg0581
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Exclamation 2001 bmw x5 brake switch?

Hello, my 2001 bmw x5 is having issues here and there with what I believe is the brake switch, when I start the car my brake lights are on when my foot is not on the brake and my gas pedal does nothing. Is this a brake switch issue? I had also pulled the fuse in the glove box for the switch and nothing changed. I had just recently bought the car and it has a aftermarket sound system in it which I believe might be part of the problem. This problem isn't always constant, as I sure the next time I go to it, it may be fine. But if it's a faulty switch I would like to be able to replace it so I can stop leaving it sit. Any help or leads I the right direction are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Not really seeing a brake light switch here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_0986
There is a hand brake light switch however.
Lots of complicated parts to an X5 brake system; do you know of an indy BMW garage in your area? I do via BMWCCA.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg0581 View Post
Hello, my 2001 bmw x5 is having issues here and there with what I believe is the brake switch, when I start the car my brake lights are on when my foot is not on the brake and my gas pedal does nothing. Is this a brake switch issue? I had also pulled the fuse in the glove box for the switch and nothing changed. I had just recently bought the car and it has a aftermarket sound system in it which I believe might be part of the problem. This problem isn't always constant, as I sure the next time I go to it, it may be fine. But if it's a faulty switch I would like to be able to replace it so I can stop leaving it sit. Any help or leads I the right direction are greatly appreciated.
Brake switch is a hall sensor. Remove the under dash panel and locate the brake switch about mid way up the pedal. Push the brake pedal with your hand and while it's depressed, push the brake switch forward in its mounting bracket. Then release the pedal and the switch will adjust itself. You should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:43 AM   #4
Bumper2BumperMotorsports
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Following
Appreciate 0