BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Distracted Driving

I narrowly avoided a head-on collision a week ago. I had to make an aggressive maneuver to the right, then straighten the wheel to avoid going off into the weeds. Fortunately, I had both hands on the wheel (10 and 2 positions) and I was paying attention. We missed by about 2 feet. The big, white pickup truck was totally in my lane (2-lane road) and the drivers head was down. It was all over in 2 seconds, including the time it took for the truck to cross the middle line.

I wasn't driving my BMW. I was driving our 2012 GLK 350 4Matic. Certainly no sport coupe, but perhaps a bit above average in handling, at least for an SUV. I didn't even have time to utter an expletive, it was over that quick.

If that doesn't make you cringe, consider this: We had just dropped off our 5 year old grandson at school a few minutes prior.

And if that's not enough, from the point of the incident to home (another 12 miles), I witnessed 2 more distracted drivers.

Think about it. Seriously think about it. From my point of view, distracted driving seems to be getting worse everyday. If you agree, write to your representatives. I did and I'm not going to let up. I believe distracted driving needs to be treated at the same level as a DUI. Bust their butts!

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Jesus, some scary shit. If it weren't for your quick reflexes that could've been devastating.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

I totally agree. I see far too many drivers distracted; usually on their cellphones. But they still think a cellphone won't lead to distraction. It's crazy.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I see it daily. I don't think it's going to get better until they actually fine people for being on the phone. It's illegal here in Oregon however nobody seems to care.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
I see it daily. I don't think it's going to get better until they actually fine people for being on the phone. It's illegal here in Oregon however nobody seems to care.
It's illegal here in California as well.

I see 2 major problems:

1. Catching them in the act.

2. Fines are too low.

Obviously, our law enforcement folks can't be everywhere, but if the fines were really high, I believe those few that are caught would have an effect on the other offenders. Until then, distracted driving will continue, and grow.

The reality is, probably not much will change until some congressman loses a family member/s to a distracted driver.

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 1
kent11202474.50

06-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Today on my way home from work a Hyundai was in front of me and I would swear dude was drunk the way he was driving. He was half in parking spots half in lane. Almost hit 3 parked cars. I punched it to get around him and to be clear of any carnage. Looked over as I passed and he was chatting on his phone. Illegal here but no matter. Why police don't set up phone traps instead of speed traps is beyond me. I could generate enough revenue on my own to pay for a couple of new cruisers and the officers to use them.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The problem is that it's so hard to enforce but I agree 100% on how dangerous it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Big problem here in NM. A lot of folks from teens to older adults that cannot leave their phones alone while driving. Our law here is an initial fine of $25, then subsequent violation goes to $50 and the fine doubles. I don't think the fines are harsh enough, but I tell you what, if you're charge for man slaughter while texting/driving you will get the maximum punishment here.
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I personally would love to see a 1k fine and judges to enforce it. A cop could stand on a corner dressed as a pan handler. As people drive up on their phone they could be ticketed. Think of all the revenue :-)
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I'm much more concerned by all the elderly who are physically incapable of operating a motor vehicle yet insist on continuing to drive.
      06-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
doogee
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is

Here in Ontario, Fines for distracted driving range from ~$500-1000.

But everyone still seems to do it.

I was rearended by one of them a few years ago. I was sitting at the stop light.
      06-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I personally would love to see a 1k fine and judges to enforce it. A cop could stand on a corner dressed as a pan handler. As people drive up on their phone they could be ticketed. Think of all the revenue :-)
They do that here all the time, and also drive on the highway in 3500 trucks that can look into vehicles.

Even with $1000 fines and now it is a 3 point hit on your license, everywhere you look idiots are still doing it.

I got t-boned by an idiot soccer mom in her shitty Caravan that was texting at a light. She looked up, saw green and floored it.

Fuck I hate people.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I'm much more concerned by all the elderly who are physically incapable of operating a motor vehicle yet insist on continuing to drive.
Fear not, it seems the cars have started fighting back, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/customer...er-by-own-car/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
In Los Angeles it's much more common to see idiots using their phones behind the wheel, than to see an elderly person driving poorly. I say put the fucking phones down, and get to your destination.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
I occasionally see an elderly person driving a car that clearly should not be driving. I witness this about once a week.

As to distracted drivers (obviously using a cellphone or smartphone), I witness this behavior many times per day. The elder driver to distracted driver ratio is very, very far apart.

So no, it's the younger folks with the cellphones that are the bulk of the problem.

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
It's illegal here in California as well.

I see 2 major problems:

1. Catching them in the act.

2. Fines are too low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Why police don't set up phone traps instead of speed traps is beyond me.
They have speed trap and toll lane cameras that show the face of the driver and the license plate of the car. (In PA they'll even let you pay your toll by sending you an invoice in the mail.) It would seem that if they really wanted to get serious about enforcement of distracted driving, this would be the way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
In Los Angeles it's much more common to see idiots using their phones behind the wheel, than to see an elderly person driving poorly. I say put the fucking phones down, and get to your destination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I occasionally see an elderly person driving a car that clearly should not be driving. I witness this about once a week.

As to distracted drivers (obviously using a cellphone or smartphone), I witness this behavior many times per day. The elder driver to distracted driver ratio is very, very far apart.

So no, it's the younger folks with the cellphones that are the bulk of the problem.
My apologies if it seemed like I was dismissing your concerns. I agree that distracted driving is definitely a problem, my best friend is incapable of sitting in a drivers seat without having something to look at on his phone it drives me nuts.

I'm just more concerned by the old people, and it's an easier problem to solve. Seems to me doing something is better than doing nothing.
      06-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #18
frankenm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Should do like we did in the military

If your caught on your phone and driving you loose driving privileges for 30 days.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
...words...

I'm just more concerned by the old people, and it's an easier problem to solve. Seems to me doing something is better than doing nothing.
I respectfully disagree with you. Getting elderly people out from behind the wheel isn't as simple saying, "hey Jack, you can't drive anymore". For some elderly folks, that is not only a way to get places, but it might be their last vestige of independence, or what if that person does not have a way to get themselves around? So if one were to impose strict no driving for old people laws, you would have to put some type of transportation in place to allow them to get where they need to go.

On the other hand, people who are distracted drivers should KNOW that they need to pay attention to the road when they drive. Educating people on why distracted driving is unsafe is a whole lot easier than developing a new infrastructure to transport the elderly.

Hang on, I'm turning left, ... just gotta hit that submit button ... ok phweww, dodged a mom jogging with her stroller
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
I respectfully disagree with you. Getting elderly people out from behind the wheel isn't as simple saying, "hey Jack, you can't drive anymore". For some elderly folks, that is not only a way to get places, but it might be their last vestige of independence, or what if that person does not have a way to get themselves around? So if one were to impose strict no driving for old people laws, you would have to put some type of transportation in place to allow them to get where they need to go.

On the other hand, people who are distracted drivers should KNOW that they need to pay attention to the road when they drive. Educating people on why distracted driving is unsafe is a whole lot easier than developing a new infrastructure to transport the elderly.

Hang on, I'm turning left, ... just gotta hit that submit button ... ok phweww, dodged a mom jogging with her stroller
Not an outright ban on elderly driving, just a mechanism to revoke the licenses of the people who can't drive anymore. My proposal would be an annual, full-scale "I just turned 16 and I'm getting my license for the 1st time" drivers test starting at age 65. If you pass, cool, please go on with your day. If not, we'll be happy to arrange a ride home for you.

Everyone knows distracted driving is unsafe, most are just too selfish to care. No educational effort will change that.
      06-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Don't other regions have mandatory driver retesting after a certain age?

Here in Ontario, once you hit 80, it is required every two years.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-g-...years-and-over
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Damn really?

In Ohio you take a written test at 15 1/2, then driving test at 16, and then you have to "renew" every 4 years.

I say "renew" because you don't re-take the test, you just go in to pay for the extension of your license.