BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #23
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Really? All conflict is over religion?
No, but a lot of it (historic and current) is definitely rooted in religion and also race and intolerance.

In the US, we are supposed to have full separation of church and state. That clearly isn't the case and that's a problem.

Christianity is one of the bloodiest religions around. Sure, it's generally behaved now, but it's history is bloody.

I was raised Catholic and was originally taught that you should be accepting of other religions, but that they are wrong in believing what they do. I was taught that those that are gay will go to hell (intolerance). I then began reviewing the history of the Catholic church, how there are many books that aren't used/taught because they are dangerous and preach some wonky/unacceptable things, and how the church routinely changes it's views and practices to fit the times; mostly to retain is base and keep the money coming in. This is when I realized all religion is a farce. I'm spiritual and believe JC was a generally good person, but it's not a "savior" or the son of God. There is no God. Most people are religious because they fear death and want to know that life isn't over after death. Simple as that.

09-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #24
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
No, but a lot of it (historic and current) is definitely rooted in religion and also race and intolerance.

In the US, we are supposed to have full separation of church and state. That clearly isn't the case and that's a problem.

Christianity is one of the bloodiest religions around. Sure, it's generally behaved now, but it's history is bloody.

I was raised Catholic and was originally taught that you should be accepting of other religions, but that they are wrong in believing what they do. I was taught that those that are gay will go to hell (intolerance). I then began reviewing the history of the Catholic church, how there are many books that aren't used/taught because they are dangerous and preach some wonky/unacceptable things, and how the church routinely changes it's views and practices to fit the times; mostly to retain is base and keep the money coming in. This is when I realized all religion is a farce. I'm spiritual and believe JC was a generally good person, but it's not a "savior" or the son of God. There is no God. Most people are religious because they fear death and want to know that life isn't over after death. Simple as that.
That's your experience. I'm also Catholic and my experience is wholly different than yours. This may because I'm focused on the good the organization does while working to eliminate the bad.

And while YOUR pronouncement that, "There is no God" is definitely your opinion I also have one. While I may have doubted God and his existence, I was certain he existed the first time I looked into the eyes of my newborn daughter whose birthday, ironically, is today. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Cheers-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

I think things can be a lot better than they are now. now its just hate everywhere.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #26
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Correct. The claim wasn't that they tried to, however:

(emphasis mine)
I read that as the Democrats chose to destroy his life. Doesn't say they succeeded or failed, they just chose to do it. And, as the evidence shows (he's a USSC judge), they failed.

Semantics, I suppose.
      09-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #27
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
As long as you have religion i̶n̶ ̶s̶c̶h̶o̶o̶l̶s, there will never be peace.
Fixed that for you.

Organized religion as a whole has reached the point where it is detrimental to humanity, IMHO.....

09-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Wrong, reason and religion are the way we became what we are today and the foundations of civilized society.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #29
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
The biggest threat to mankind isn't Global Warming, disease, starvation, asteroids, super volcanoes, etc.. The biggest threat is disagreement and war. It has been, and will be here for as long as we are. It's part of nature.
      09-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #30
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
...religion as a whole has reached the point where it is detrimental to humanity, IMHO.....
Living in the liberal Mecca that is NYC, I hear this sentiment often. While I'm not religious at all; I completely disagree. My theory is people feel this way because they fail to remember or perhaps recognize all the hope and faith religion provides a huge majority of people across the globe. It's hard to overstate the importance of religion and faith to humanity.
      09-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #31
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Playing devil's advocate, I'll argue that it is a corruption of natural pack/herd instinct, and creates tribes/cliques that despise each other in the name of their benevolent invisible deity of choice.

The *only* path to world peace is going to be through a great awakening that religion is no longer needed to keep order.....