BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Free SiriusXM?

Anyone else have free Sirius XM this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I think as long as you have something that can receive it, it should be free for all until July 6th? We’ve got it as a trial with a recent vehicle purchase and figured it to be pointless with the amount we use Spotify. Now I can’t even think of the last time I hooked Spotify up in the car. There’s something be said about ad-free and mindless (having someone else pick the tunes). I’m convinced we’ll start up a subscription if the prices aren’t absurd like they once were...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

anytime they run it for free I am tempted to re-subscribe. cheapest I could find was $99 for one year then it goes up
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
With a gazillion streaming music services available via 4G smartphone in most newer cars, I am surprised that the SiriusXM satellites haven't been moved to a parking orbit to auction off their orbital slots by now!

I bought a pickup truck 12 years ago, and the original owner had a lifetime Sirius subscription in it. Think I used it about a half dozen times over the years, mostly on road trips through areas where a 4G signal was not available. I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot tolerate synchronous radio broadcasts any more...either satellite or terrestrial.....
      06-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
With a gazillion streaming music services available via 4G smartphone in most newer cars, I am surprised that the SiriusXM satellites haven't been moved to a parking orbit to auction off their orbital slots by now!

I bought a pickup truck 12 years ago, and the original owner had a lifetime Sirius subscription in it. Think I used it about a half dozen times over the years, mostly on road trips through areas where a 4G signal was not available. I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot tolerate synchronous radio broadcasts any more...either satellite or terrestrial.....
Same. Had the free sub with a new car purchase back in 2013. Paid for it for a year after the free ride ended. $250 wasted. They still harass the shit out of me. I did talk to one of their reps on the phone one day that ended up giving me 6 months for free, then again, then again. They finally got upset with me as they expected me to pay for it. Pft....right. I told them just to cancel it as I didn't listen to it anyway. I got a phone call from them just last week. Unless a person listens to talk radio, I see no value in this service.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      06-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Same. Had the free sub with a new car purchase back in 2013. Paid for it for a year after the free ride ended. $250 wasted. They still harass the shit out of me. I did talk to one of their reps on the phone one day that ended up giving me 6 months for free, then again, then again. They finally got upset with me as they expected me to pay for it. Pft....right. I told them just to cancel it as I didn't listen to it anyway. I got a phone call from them just last week. Unless a person listens to talk radio, I see no value in this service.
I did a free trial years ago. Once you cancel they will harass you with offers by phone, email, and text. That was six years ago and they still haven't given up. They are relentless.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
M_Six16554.50
      06-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
It's working on mine as well, anyone know when this started and how long it will last?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
I did a free trial years ago. Once you cancel they will harass you with offers by phone, email, and text. That was six years ago and they still haven't given up. They are relentless.
This. Every time I buy a car from my dealer I get 6 free months. Never use it, but they still harass me to renew my subscription constantly. And they make the envelope look like it's some vital piece of mail. Major pests.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Mardio197.00
vreihen1614906.00
      06-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
It's working on mine as well, anyone know when this started and how long it will last?
Started the 25th, goes through July 6th.

I keep getting emails trying to get me to sign up again, first year back 4.99 per month, but the next year is like 16.99 per month. Luckily I changed phone numbers, so no harassing calls.

The first year I had mine, I actually used it a lot, just to get some variety from what I normally listen to, but its not worth that much to me for how much I used it.
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1102.50
      06-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Their customer service sucks. I do use it. I get a year free subscription with each new BMW lease. So I renew for the other 2 years. When it comes time to cancel, it's like puling teeth. They don't want to let you off the phone until you re-subscribe. I'm like NO! I don't need it, I have a free subscription. Let me get my manager to speak to you, one moment please.

Bang
Head
Here
King Rudi13152.00
      06-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I still have it because it's free & not sure when it ends. As vreihen16 said I'm surprised they are still around with all the streaming services available.

One of the things that frustrates me the most with Sirius is song repetition. There will be times that I'm running through the stations & the same song with be on 3 different channels. I also don't feel the variety is that great on some stations.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      06-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I told them to pound sand when the only channel I really cared about and why I kept my subscription was moved to a channel number I can't get on my head unit. Instead they shoved the Garth Brooks channel in its place. Despite repeated outrage from others that love the channel and can no longer get it via Facebook, they continue to ignore the fans of the channel. The other thing I found upsetting was XM Sirius had a different version of their receiver that was out which would receive the higher channel numbers yet didn't make any move to ensure compatibility with the manufacturers.

Ok. It might not have been easy to get updated hardware out to the car makers but what they could have done was to provide free external receivers to make up for their idiotic decision. They didn't even do that. Instead they said I could stream it on my phone with it connected to my car's Bluetooth. So out of touch. Where a channel like this would come in handy is on long trips. There are stretches of road going to my beach house where I get iffy cell coverage.

They kept harassing me via phone, email, and mailers to join back up. Even offered me $5 a month for a year. Still told them to shove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #13
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
When it comes time to cancel, it's like puling teeth. They don't want to let you off the phone until you re-subscribe. I'm like NO! I don't need it, I have a free subscription.
You can try to tell them that you sold the car and no longer have the radio, but the bastages appear to have a link to DMV records and will keep on pestering you until they see the VIN changed to a new owner. My DW was pestered for 10 years on a used pickup that she bought with a Sirius receiver, and the only thing that stopped it was when she sold the truck.

Remember that companies like Sirius that only let you terminate service by phone do this so that they can forward you to their high-pressure customer retention departments, who will try *anything* to keep your monthly payment coming in. Have an immutable reason why you are disconnecting, like a job transfer that's moving you to Australia or Alaska where their service doesn't work. Otherwise, you'll be on the phone with them for an hour feeling like you're starring in an episode of Pawn Stars.....
      06-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
You can try to tell them that you sold the car and no longer have the radio, but the bastages appear to have a link to DMV records and will keep on pestering you until they see the VIN changed to a new owner. My DW was pestered for 10 years on a used pickup that she bought with a Sirius receiver, and the only thing that stopped it was when she sold the truck.

Remember that companies like Sirius that only let you terminate service by phone do this so that they can forward you to their high-pressure customer retention departments, who will try *anything* to keep your monthly payment coming in. Have an immutable reason why you are disconnecting, like a job transfer that's moving you to Australia or Alaska where their service doesn't work. Otherwise, you'll be on the phone with them for an hour feeling like you're starring in an episode of Pawn Stars.....
Didn't need an hour for me to cancel. Yes, the rep transferred me to another high pressure rep. The rep kept coming up with options and things for me to stay. I kept saying no. The rep finally asked what it would take for me to stay with them. I told the rep to move my channel back to the channel number it was before. The rep said she would provide this feedback and was certain that something would be worked out. I said no. I told her I will sign back up when they actually execute. That was about 4 years ago. Still waiting. The whole process for me to cancel took maybe 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

SiriusXM still around? I'm actually surprised. I had a car that had a lifetime subscription. Only channels I listen to were the comedy channel (only on long trips) and the playboy channel. That was a while back. Even when it came free with my new M4 and X1, never used it.

One thing I did find out was when you cancel subscription and they bug you, just keep telling them no. They will reduce their rate dramatically. The cheapest they offered me was $30 a year.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      06-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #16
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Mine came up for renewal recently. Usually I have to threaten to cancel and speak to someone before they break out the deals. Now, you just press a button if you're willing to take a $99/year deal and it's done. I still keep it around mainly for Howard Stern
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      06-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #17
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

decisions, decisions. I love my hair nation, ozzys boneyard and 80's channel
Appreciate 0