BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
TAmes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Transmission malfunction / 2010 550i

Hello all,

Over the past few months I've had two transmission-related incidents, and I'd love to hear some perspectives on what steps to take to resolve this issue.

In both cases, I was cruising at 75-80 mph on the freeway, when all of the sudden the transmission malfunction light came on, the car seemed to downshift (revs went way up), and the car went into low power/limp mode. In both cases, I had to pull over to the side of the freeway and shut down the engine. Upon restarting the car after 5-10 minutes, everything functioned normally.

After the first incident, I brought my car in to my local service shop, but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the transmission. They suggested that if it happened again (which it has), the best option might be to rebuild the transmission. I'm hoping there may be a more targeted solution to this issue.

Some other detail: I have the sport automatic transmission (SAT), and the car has only 35K miles on it.

I'd appreciate any perspectives from the board. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0