BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #331
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i mowed and put some milogranite and ironite down the other day. excited to see the results. i happen to really like the way the milogranite smells... smells like the garden section of home depot. lol
i only put the ironite in the front yard because i don't want it to color the dog's feet.
      05-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #332
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_g View Post
We use a service to mow the lawn, etc. and they tend to cut the grass short - it's also fescue I believe.

Tell them to mow higher and if they don't then find a new service!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #333
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm a little behind after not feeling well and then having some family commitments the last 2 weekends. Taking this afternoon off from work and hope to get through gardenia / juniper fertilization and pest control, palm fertilizer, lawn fertilizer and pest control and front / side of house stucco and window cleaning. Hopefully it doesn't rain and the heat isn't too bad as I can't stay out in it like I once could tolerate.

That will leave me with spot weed treatment for lawn, grill and patio furniture cleaning, patio cleaning (including stucco, pavers and numerous glass doors and windows) and perimeter pest control for the rest of the weekend. Whatever doesn't get done will be next weekend I guess. After that I hope to minimize work outside other than pest control until late September as it will be rainy and unbearably hot soon.
      05-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #334
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Tell them to mow higher and if they don't then find a new service!

It's a constant struggle with lawn services. Most customers actually don't know any better and want it cut really short so they set their height low and keep it there. They all do it here so changing lawn services generally doesn't help as it is hard to find someone who is consistent, at least around here, particularly when they all use day laborers. I can't tell you how many times I've told them to stay off the patio with the blowers even if they see leaves (so they don't blow dust and dirt all over the glass). They seem to forget unless reminded constantly. Yet they are better than the last service, which mutilated the edges of the lawn. Unless you DIY, you have to accept that a service will do something wrong.
      05-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #335
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm a little behind after not feeling well and then having some family commitments the last 2 weekends. Taking this afternoon off from work and hope to get through gardenia / juniper fertilization and pest control, palm fertilizer, lawn fertilizer and pest control and front / side of house stucco and window cleaning. Hopefully it doesn't rain and the heat isn't too bad as I can't stay out in it like I once could tolerate.

That will leave me with spot weed treatment for lawn, grill and patio furniture cleaning, patio cleaning (including stucco, pavers and numerous glass doors and windows) and perimeter pest control for the rest of the weekend. Whatever doesn't get done will be next weekend I guess. After that I hope to minimize work outside other than pest control until late September as it will be rainy and unbearably hot soon.
I hear ya! it's been raining here a lot which puts behind getting stuff done around the yard. I was able to get in a couple of hours of work in the yard before the sun went down just because I knew it was gonna rain tomorrow.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #336
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a constant struggle with lawn services. Most customers actually don't know any better and want it cut really short so they set their height low and keep it there. They all do it here so changing lawn services generally doesn't help as it is hard to find someone who is consistent, at least around here, particularly when they all use day laborers. I can't tell you how many times I've told them to stay off the patio with the blowers even if they see leaves (so they don't blow dust and dirt all over the glass). They seem to forget unless reminded constantly. Yet they are better than the last service, which mutilated the edges of the lawn. Unless you DIY, you have to accept that a service will do something wrong.
I see the local lawn services doing this. they really stress the grass out when they mow super low. unless they're cutting it 3x a week I can see the grass not stressing out but only once a week is not healthy for the grass. at least that's what I notice here in my neighborhood
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #337
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
I see the local lawn services doing this. they really stress the grass out when they mow super low. unless they're cutting it 3x a week I can see the grass not stressing out but only once a week is not healthy for the grass. at least that's what I notice here in my neighborhood
Yep and the other sore point is sharpening mower cutting blades. If I go outside and see the grass cut really short with shredded blades of grass... They listen to the customer once and then slip back into old ways. For all I know they adjust mower height when I complain and then other customers complain it isn't short enough.
      05-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #338
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so got off work yesterday afternoon went straight to the gym which gave me a couple of hours daylight to get something done in the yard. picked up a few Endless Summer Hydrangeas at Menard's for $25!

got them planted in next to the BloomStruck Hydrangeas

here's the Nikko Blue Hydrangeas I picked up from Sam's Club last year. they're doing pretty well for their 2nd season as they were pretty much root balls when I bought them

here's the tree form Pinky Winky I bought earlier Spring now coming into bloom

tree form Limelight Hydrangea I bought a couple of weeks ago coming into bloom

last of the tulips blooming and ready to be spent right next to a Limelight Hydrangea shrub

these are the Annabelle Hydrangeas that initially started out as one shrub but I prorogated them and now I have a total of 9 of these all along the front of the house. these are really easy to grow

I've got 4 of these around the yard. PeeGee "Grandiflora" in it's 2nd season. these are suppose to be able to grow up to 15'+ if you let them with huge conical flowers.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410882.00
bosstones1144.00
      05-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #339
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

here are the Autumn Blaze maples I bought last Fall

and here they are blooming!

if anyone knows what kind of tree/shrub this is I have no clue

also this one as it attracts lots of bees and butterflys!

here are my lilacs. not sure what variety these are?

Marigolds are doing well in the containers we bought last week

these are pretty cool. I forgot what they are called but they almost look fake. very fluffy to the touch

Appreciate 2
RickFLM410882.00
bosstones1144.00
      05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #340
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

last picture is our neighbor has this across the street. anyone know what kinda tree this is?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #341
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep and the other sore point is sharpening mower cutting blades. If I go outside and see the grass cut really short with shredded blades of grass... They listen to the customer once and then slip back into old ways. For all I know they adjust mower height when I complain and then other customers complain it isn't short enough.
I think I've only had to sharpen my blades at the beginning of the season and some time during the summer and that's it. it looks really bad when I see a lawn care service mow the yard and the lawn looks almost brown because of the grass tearing
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #342
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I think I've only had to sharpen my blades at the beginning of the season and some time during the summer and that's it. it looks really bad when I see a lawn care service mow the yard and the lawn looks almost brown because of the grass tearing
Yup, sharp blades are a must. I have two sets that I swap out. I also use the Oregon Gator mulching blades, they last a long time and give a great cut.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #343
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yup, sharp blades are a must. I have two sets that I swap out. I also use the Oregon Gator mulching blades, they last a long time and give a great cut.
have mulching blades too! I don't bag my grass since all the nitrogen will go right back down into the soil
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #344
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
last picture is our neighbor has this across the street. anyone know what kinda tree this is?
Looks like some type of cherry tree, perhaps Kwanzan.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #345
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Again, I take no credit for any "green" knowledge...
Thanks for the info! I've been on Google search with no luck. Looks like a Purple Plum according to some images I found. The pink flowering tree might be a crabapple?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #346
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Huge rain yesterday.

Today... FLOWERS in Bloom!!

05-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #347
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Backyard greening up nicely!

05-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #348
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Backyard greening up nicely!

You appear to be missing some dandelions. Those little bursts of yellow amongst the green grass just really brighten up your day. I have several in my lawn, and would be willing to share?
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      05-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #349
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You appear to be missing some dandelions. Those little bursts of yellow amongst the green grass just really brighten up your day. I have several in my lawn, and would be willing to share?
Man... I am as Anti-Weed as they come! I did my Weed & Feed back in early March so that certainly helps. But inevitably, a few will always manage to pop up. From the fact that my landscapers cut other folks yards and I'm sure seeds get spread about. I am always looking for weeds to hand pull before they sprout and drop seeds.
      05-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #350
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

My yard this year with all rain we been having
These are results not bad
Attached Images

bosstones1144.00
      05-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #351
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
My yard this year with all rain we been having
These are results not bad
Nice! edging looks clean!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #352
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post