BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #45
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Good to know. Regardless I haven't had a problem running my debit as credit nor with BofA but definitely know they don't have the best reputation in the world...knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #46
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yeah, most banks actually suggest against using your primary bank account for CC or Debit transactions if you shop a lot online. They do this because of the fraud for the most part.

A real credit card is much better than any debit/credit card for the protection and points. Some credit cards have even more perks than just points... like free vacation and travel insurance, doubling the warranty on electronics, free insurance on rental vehicles, etc.

yep I forgot about that as well, tooons of extra perks that the average schmoe has no idea even exists!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #47
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Good to know. Regardless I haven't had a problem running my debit as credit nor with BofA but definitely know they don't have the best reputation in the world...knock on wood

all you need is that one time though </soapbox>
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #48
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

They aren't stealing from you, they are withholding money from you (that only you know is rightfully yours) until you can prove that you were not the one that made the charges.
      06-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #49
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
If you run your debit card as credit 99% of the time it will go through just as it normally would, and for example if it's a Visa debit, the transaction gets all the protection from Visa as though it were a Visa CC, it's basically like your a CC with a limit of whatever your bank account is
The reason a lot of people recommend to run the transactions as if they were credit is to minimize the fees involved by the acquirer/issuer for using your card as a debit, i.e. gas stations and convenience stores.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #50
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I'm not the biggest fan of BOA but I've never had a problem with their credit/fraud prevention units. They've actually proved pretty helpful in sorting out some odd charges that came through my account a while ago.

Banks are usually pretty good about fraud claims and won't hold you liable unless there is pretty good evidence that you did make the charge (or that you may be lying). Is there any more background in this situation that would make them believe you did make the charge (other than the signature)?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #51
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Was the store close to you? Do you have proof you were somewhere else at the time? Other receipts from somewhere you might of been? Work? Etc..

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #52
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Was the store close to you? Do you have proof you were somewhere else at the time? Other receipts from somewhere you might of been? Work? Etc..
He shouldn't have to prove that, either. The bank has access to his charges and financial records, they should be able to pull that up without receipts. Unless he didn't make any purchases while the dudes used his card. Plus he said he had lost the cards, so he wouldn't have had them to use, right?

This reminds me of something. OP, if you had blocked the cards immediately, then why were they still able to use them? Seems like this is BOA's fault.

EDIT: I just saw you waited a day before blocking them. Looks like they made quick work of your misfortune.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #53
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
all you need is that one time though </soapbox>
Exactly. After about 3 or 4 disputes with Chase, I called it quits with them, however it was too late to change where my tax refund was going, and believe me that was a process in which they lied to me for months about where my money was (we sent it back to the IRS, etc) where they were basically just holding it, I finally got that money (deposited in March) in September of the same year...

BofA has once flagged a fraudulent transaction, reversed it no problem, and that was the only dispute I would have had to make. They called me on a sunday (bartender saturday night committed the fraud), asked if I did this, I said no, ok no problem. So in my one instance, they have been much easier to deal with than Chase in these matters.

But I digress, don't wanna turn this into a Chase vs. BofA thing, people have had problems with both and others haven't. Here's just to me hoping that I my service from BofA remains satisfactory, Sorry it hasn't for the OP
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #54
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of BOA but I've never had a problem with their credit/fraud prevention units. They've actually proved pretty helpful in sorting out some odd charges that came through my account a while ago.

Banks are usually pretty good about fraud claims and won't hold you liable unless there is pretty good evidence that you did make the charge (or that you may be lying). Is there any more background in this situation that would make them believe you did make the charge (other than the signature)?
I completely beg to differ.... cliff notes of one of my best examples:
my girl's place was broken into before I met her, the guy stole her card and used it. Despite her card saying 'SEE ID' and the guy bsing signatures... she was still held liable for the transactions?
Why? believe it or not it was BECAUSE they caught the guy.... they wouldn't give her her money back until they ruled on the guy. 2 years later, and the ruling went through and he pled guilty.... because hers was one of the cases where they absorbed into a larger one, they still didn't refund her a dime.

So despite doing every possible aspect right....she still had to pay.

Banks are fuckers, I hate them.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #55
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I completely beg to differ.... cliff notes of one of my best examples:
my girl's place was broken into before I met her, the guy stole her card and used it. Despite her card saying 'SEE ID' and the guy bsing signatures... she was still held liable for the transactions?
Why? believe it or not it was BECAUSE they caught the guy.... they wouldn't give her her money back until they ruled on the guy. 2 years later, and the ruling went through and he pled guilty.... because hers was one of the cases where they absorbed into a larger one, they still didn't refund her a dime.

So despite doing every possible aspect right....she still had to pay.

Banks are fuckers, I hate them.
That's BS. Hopefully more of an isolated incident than not...
Appreciate 0