BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #89
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Have a G-Shock - would recommend. It is actually a great watch for the price point.

Was debating it. My daughter has a Rolex and has a G-Shock as her beater...

Problem is the size for me. I have like 6.5-6.75 inch wrist felt big. Ended up getting a Seiko 007 with new straps as a beater. And I could possibly swap out for domed crystal since they can mod the Seiko.

Separately trying to get my buddy to sell me his Omega Seamaster for $600 when he goes to get his new to him Patek, watch... since trade ins typically are low balled. .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #90
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Rolex makes a great watch, but their artificially created scarcity keeps the prices high, and is one of the reason I have stayed away from buying any recently. This whole SS Sport Model scarcity is entirely for rolex to keep themselves viewed as an elite and rare watch.

so annoying.

on the plus side, i can sell just about every rolex i have for profit right now if the need arises.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #91
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I started with an entry level tag when I finished grad school, ten years later - I was looking between the PAM and a BLBR GMT, went with the PAM since I knew I'd be buying a Rolex at some point in my life.

I'm loving the PAM but I'm bigger guy. I had a strap made for it from an Einfield WWII Ammo Pouch, looks sharp feels great.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #92
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Rolex makes a great watch, but their artificially created scarcity keeps the prices high, and is one of the reason I have stayed away from buying any recently. This whole SS Sport Model scarcity is entirely for rolex to keep themselves viewed as an elite and rare watch.

so annoying.

on the plus side, i can sell just about every rolex i have for profit right now if the need arises.
It's not good for anyone looking to purchase a watch. A run of the mill SS submariner costs more now than it did many years ago even though the watch itself has not changed at all. It inflates the prices of the used ones as well as a side effect.
      03-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #93
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It's not good for anyone looking to purchase a watch. A run of the mill SS submariner costs more now than it did many years ago even though the watch itself has not changed at all. It inflates the prices of the used ones as well as a side effect.
New prices havent gone up much. Mainly only accounting for normal inflation. They have just severely limited supply, so you are lucky to get one at MSRP right now. This is what has affected the used market.

Even if you look at the prices from this time last year to now, you are looking at a 1-2k jump on most basic SS models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon997 View Post
well....general inflation also......

my 03 996tt optioned cost me 132k in 2003, my 991 similarly optioned cost me 170k in 2016

any good brand doesn't dilute themselves by overproducing.........even look at streetwear companies like Supreme, they could double their order and sales but they dont wan't to......it kills the brand...

buy a used watch and let the other guy take the hit.....or buy a g-shock. Nothing wrong with that.
Its an alright market strategy to limit supply, but imo, it will hurt the brand in the long run if they continue. Ive already seen many lifelong rolex guys move to other brands because they are tired of the multiple year waitlists and artificially inflated prices.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #94
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon997 View Post
well....general inflation also......

my 03 996tt optioned cost me 132k in 2003, my 991 similarly optioned cost me 170k in 2016

any good brand doesn't dilute themselves by overproducing.........even look at streetwear companies like Supreme, they could double their order and sales but they dont wan't to......it kills the brand...

buy a used watch and let the other guy take the hit.....or buy a g-shock. Nothing wrong with that.
The problem is, its not a old model vs a new model (996 vs 991). The submariner has been the same since 2011 when they introduced a ceramic bezel. They just decide to charge much more for it now than when it came out in 2011.

It's like saying why would I pay more for a newly manufactured 996 today than what a 996 cost back then? It isn't an collector's item and I don't see it as a "limited" watch. And since they made no changes from 2011 to now makes it seem even more as a rip off.