BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Active Cruise Control

03-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #45
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Actually, this is a good concept, but unfortunately had a flawed implementation, mainly by Mazda. The BMW system utilizes the engine's starter
http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/60650...-f30-3-series/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #46
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
I have utilized the ACC Stop/Go on about 5-6 long drives on the autobahn and so far I absolutely love it. It has kicked off three times so far but that was due fog and sun glare. I was testing to see how long it would actually stay on in these conditions, with a very ready braking foot of course.

The distances in the three modes even at the shortest distance setting is very safe. If you want to save gas though it is probably not the best thing to use. It obviously won't predict on coming cars like your eyes will, for momentum.

The system is great though once you get use to it. When the blinker is put on to change lanes it immediately recognizes this and starts to speed up to pass the car in front. It honestly makes long journeys on autobahns and motorways dramatically less fatiguing. You don't have to constantly be flicking the cruise switch to maintain distance. Which is pretty amazing and well worth the price IMHO.

Nick
I have had my X1 for just over two weeks now and yesterday made a trip from Southampton to Bicester and back - about 170 miles and mostly dual carriageway.

This was the first time I tried out the "Camera-based Cruise Control with Stop&Go function, ACC" (part of Driving Assistant Plus package) and I have to say I really liked it. I would say that I had it engaged for about half the journey each way and during those spells I only took over manual control once (car joing from slip road into heavy traffic both lanes).

I kept the sytem on its default Distance 3 setting as it was my first experience - in heavy traffic that is probably too far from the car in front as everyone was using it as a nice gap to merge into.

I was adjusting the set speed every so often with the rocker switch (like when going through 50 mph sections). Only had one or two warnings from the system during the trip and not exactly sure what upset it.

Took me about 5 mins to get used to the system and to feel confident - I will certainly be using this a lot in the future - rate this as even better than the HUD (and I do like the HUD)
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #47
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

A little update after almost 3000km. I'm quite satisfied with the ACC. It works well except during sunrise / sunset when the sun is head on. Sometimes it'll have a problem detecting large trucks w/ an irregular shape. It works just as well 90% of the time with the radar system I'm used to in the C400.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #48
skier7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 & 2017 Mini Clubman

Exclamation Optical Active Cruise Control: Not Ready for Prime Time

I purchased an 2017 R54 Mini Clubman with the optical active cruise control. To keep my sanity, I have come to regard it as entertainment. It will brake the car for crisp shadows, such as that of a bridge on a cement roadway or a car passing with strong sun from beyond that car. It will also brake for things that I cannot figure out. This is often quite startling for me, passengers and any following vehicles. The active cruise control will frequently de-activate itself. I have not been able to identify specifically what can cause this. Sometimes, it completely refuses to activate at all! I have posted four videos to youtube that showing the cruise control refusing to activate. These are:
, and
. Do not consider this to be real feature! It may work correctly under some set of circumstances, but I have not found them particularly often. Or, perhaps they just don't occur where I drive on the US east coast. My local dealer replaced the sensor unit last March, but it didn't change anything about its behavior.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #49
Eziv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d M Sport

My experience with the optical cruise control is also very disppointing. Yes, as mentioned earlier, it does work 90% of the time but I just don’t see how that is acceptable. No-one would accept that their car’s engine works 90% of the time, or their phone or fridge. As much as I love BMW, I think they they messed this one up. .. I also had a chance to chat to engineers and bosses from MobilEye — the system that is used in this BMW. When complaining about the performance, they kept blaming BMW for “probably” using a lower grade camera and what not. But I think the truth is that the camera-based cruise control on its own just cannot do the trick; you need a radar or lidar as well. MobilEye says the camera will always be the main component anyway, yet they themselves didn’t dispute the fact that a complimentary aid could be needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
SigmaX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

A little off-topic, but: The missus recent bought a CPO 2016 X1. It has the DAP+ package, but in the US that didn't include ACC, only DCC. Given that the system in the X1 is entirely camera based, does anyone know what would have to be swapped in/out to retrofit it? I'm assuming the braking control unit and the steering wheel controls, but what else?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #51
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaX View Post
A little off-topic, but: The missus recent bought a CPO 2016 X1. It has the DAP+ package, but in the US that didn't include ACC, only DCC. Given that the system in the X1 is entirely camera based, does anyone know what would have to be swapped in/out to retrofit it? I'm assuming the braking control unit and the steering wheel controls, but what else?
At least one forum member has tried upgrading their CC to ACC including installing a new Steering wheel switch (this is the two lots of buttons either side of airbag), part 61319360511. In brief it did not work. The reason would appear to be that BMW have deliberately coded ACC to work through a separate module (SAS module) which is normally only fitted in X1 with EDC (electronic damper control). In order to fit a SAS module, one would need not only the part but also wiring and diagrams. Because most X1 already have the KAFAS (camera collision avoidance system), it is suspected that BMW have deliberately made ACC almost impossible to activate through a simple coding change. This is understandable as they are charging a very high price for an option which in X1 guise, probably costs no more than $50 extra to install at the factory. Unlike more expensive BMW models which also use radar for ACC , the X1 system is purely camera based and as such has mixed reviews and some widely reported reliability issues. If ACC is not BMW’s most profitable car option, it must come close.

There is a later thread covering this by PurePulse64 . If you succeed in wiring in a new SAS module or have one fitted already then you will need to re-code the car ECU’s using tool like E-sys. In E-sys, the VO coding change is 5AS to 5AT ( if you have driver assist, otherwise ignore) and remove s544a and add 5DF.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-10-2019 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #52
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

My X1 has an optical collision warning system. I don’t think I have adaptive cruise control but then again CliveL has put me right on various functions on my car. The CC does appear to have a connection to the braking system, as on a number of occasions when the bell and HUD have warned of a possible collision, I have felt the brake pedal already doing some of the braking.
I would like to upgrade if needs be to an ACC system, as I have recently bought my wife a VW Golf SV which has this but using radar based technology. It’s brilliant, and works in fog, Driving into the sun etc. But given all I have read, the BMW optical system on the X1 at least falls short of the mark. And the golf system is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #53
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
My X1 has an optical collision warning system. I don’t think I have adaptive cruise control but then again CliveL has put me right on various functions on my car. The CC does appear to have a connection to the braking system, as on a number of occasions when the bell and HUD have warned of a possible collision, I have felt the brake pedal already doing some of the braking.
I would like to upgrade if needs be to an ACC system, as I have recently bought my wife a VW Golf SV which has this but using radar based technology. It’s brilliant, and works in fog, Driving into the sun etc. But given all I have read, the BMW optical system on the X1 at least falls short of the mark. And the golf system is brilliant.
If you go online and search BMW VIN decoder you will be able to find a number of sites which allow you to enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and get the list of build options.
In the driver Assistance and Lighting section , if you have
S544A then this is CC with brake function , or
S5DFA then you have ACC with stop and go function

CC with brake function allows a speed to be set and if you go down a steep hill it will use the brakes to ensure you do not go over the set speed. ACC allows you to set a speed but will keep adjusting your speed,in traffic, to match the vehicle in front, up to 85mph. It will if necessary bring the car to a halt and start it again. [within a lot of limitations as it is optical not radar based on the X1].

From your description I think you have CC with brake function. The alarm and braking you described is the FCW kicking in to prevent a crash not the CC, the FCW will start braking but then cuts out after 1.5 secs, so will not continue braking and prevent a crash, the driver has to take-over. After FCW kicks in your CC will have disengaged, exactly the same as if you applied braking.

I have to say, I admire your courage, I have the same system but I have never let it get close enough to actually feel the FCW start braking. I tried to see what would happen on the M27 and it was merrily closing in on the car in front, at 10ft I bottled it. I am horrified to think how close you got but I have mine set to medium warning, I expect early warning would have been more sensible. The problem with FCW is it will not always engage if you appear to be deliberately driving up to a vehicle in front and the closing rate is low (otherwise it would continuously trigger trigger false alarms in a stop start traffic flow). It will usually engage if the closing rate is high and it calculates a crash will occur. Relying on FCW to provide ACC, in most traffic flow situations, would be a certain recipe for a rear end shunt.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-26-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #54
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I never intended to test the cc system! It happened on a couple of occasions when I was momentarily distracted and the system sounded and lit up the HUD and I went to brake rather hurriedly.
But given all that even written about the BMW system acc system, I would want a radar based system used by vw.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-01-2019, 02:04 AM   #55
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
I never intended to test the cc system! It happened on a couple of occasions when I was momentarily distracted and the system sounded and lit up the HUD and I went to brake rather hurriedly.
But given all that even written about the BMW system acc system, I would want a radar based system used by vw.
My sincere apologies, I misunderstood and it was never my intention to criticise

I agree with you, feedback on the BMW optical only ACC (and indeed FCW) system is very mixed and I would want the radar based versions before relying on it. The recent US IIHS tests where the X1 was bottom of class for pedestrian collision warning highlights how BMW appear to see these systems as a profit opportunity rather than an essential safety feature. I’m my view, BMW look to be charging top prices, yet fitting inferior technology and hardware for “driving assistance “ systems in their entry to lower mid -range models. Many manufacturers (including less prestigious brands) are doing a better job and see these systems as safety rather than convenience.
IMHO BMW are deliberately disguising theses significant differences by using similar sounding names such as “driving assistance” v “driver assistance” or “navigation plus” v “navigation professional” etc.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-01-2019 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #56
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Eventually the market will see through all this and move to alternative products. Ie other makes. Whilst I enjoy driving the X1 I also enjoy the VW Golf Sportsvan. If it we’re 4 wheel drive .......
I looked at the Tiguan but was suspicious of the real mpg and discounted on that front That is equipped with forward radar.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #57
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2001 Audi TT

Thanks to everyone for your comments and review of the ACC system. I have had radar-based systems on several previous cars, and this is a "must have" option for me now. I regularly do a weekly 3 hour drive from Boston to Maine, and ACC makes the drive with far less fatigue. I have my X2 M35 on order mostly due to the fact apparently BMW does not typically ship these to dealers with this option installed. Will be interested to see how well it performs for me given it is a camera based system. My experience was that Mazda system was the best in my Mazda3 5-door, and VW Golf R a close second; both performed well. Current system in my 2018 Nissan Murano is awful - wide variation in the amount of distance the car allows, and acceleration after a slow-down takes forever (mostly due to the CVT I'm guessing), and randomly fails during optimal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #58
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I have a new X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW newbie 2016 View Post
I have the stop/start feature on mine. I actually turned it off at first because I was concerned about the wearing of the starter and other components in the set up. I've started using it and find it hardly noticeable and quite efficient. As far as the starter goes I've read that these parts are made specifically for the constant stop and go so why not save some fuel. Here in Montreal we are paying about
$1.23 for premium per litre. Ouch!
You will love this SAV I am sure. Loads of fun to drive!
I live in Montreal too! Meet for coffee and I'll let you in on a few BMW Software secrets....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #59
Jennifer may
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman Cooper S

Active Cruise Control

Have any others had the two problems below with Active Cruise Control on either a BMW or a Mini?

I have a F60 MINI Countryman Cooper S Exclusive. I have found since new 2 years ago (only approximately 6,250 miles travelled) that the cruise control will simply cut off and in a few minutes can be reactivated. The other problem is far more dangerous. whilst travelling with the Active Cruise on suddenly the car will loose all power despite there being no vehicles ahead of me in appropriate distance and slow dramatically. It seems that no braking lights are activated as I have had cars behind blowing horns. So far I have been lucky and not been hit from behind in these circumstances.
Appreciate 0