BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

05-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
shehab_e90
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i e90

N54 engine problem, no compression 2008 535xi 77k

Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 535XI with 77k miles N54 engine , my car won't start and gets zero compression in at least 3 of the cylinders according to my indy.

Back story:

I purchased the car the day it died. It had a very weak battery from sitting so giving jump start took a long time till it started. Once started it was immediately in limp mode and many other errors like steering angle etc…. I shut off the car and turned it on again and everything was gone. Boost was fine and engine was super quiet. It ran fast for 2 mins with boost and then back to limp mode with no turbos. Couple mins later I got an error with low oil pressure in red color on the I drive system. I added an extra quart of oil correct weight and the oil pressure problem went away but still in limp mode (yellow engine with a line across) the oil level was green the whole time. So I decided to drive to home, 75 mile trip. The only issues present at the start were the limp mode with no boost and that's it everything else sounded great and shifted smooth. Half way I started getting low oil pressure in red intermittently for a little while and then came on permanently. I assumed it was a voltage problem or sensor problem because nothing changed (big mistake I know). So I continued driving and no sounds at all or maybe very faint sound that could also be road noise. No loud weird sounds coming from the engine or performance problem. Once I reached my exit and got on the ramp, 40 degree incline, the car stalled once at like 5mph right before stopping. The stalling was a minor shake and then turned off no loud knocking sounds.

Preliminary diagnostic:

I had it towed to an indy shop and they are tested for compression and got ZERO compression in at least 3 of the cylinders. There is also no spark at all. The engine turns over but weak sound of compression I am uploading the video..

I had it towed home since the indy wanted to charge 700$ to take valve cover off. Once at home I drained the oil and the car was running on at least 7 quarts for the whole trip. The oil was very clean in terms of chips, very small shavings that are tiny not even considerable and I have seen them in my 325i with n52 with no issue.

I am very mechanically confident and have done a lot of work on my 2006 325i (N52) like taking off the valve cover, intake manifold, transmission pan removal, radiator, etc…

The original problem I am thinking is an oil pump failure like one of the bolts coming lose or the pump failed causing low oil pressure but hoping it was still operating a bit to prevent major damage to the pistons etc…

My thinking is it is a internal engine failure like a broken cam, timing chain, valves, etc… I would like help to know where to start and doesn't have to be what I think the problem is so I am open to any suggestion of tests to do or inspections before replacing the engine.

So overall to conclude, zero compression from at least 3 cylinders, barely any metal I attached a pic with the biggest piece I found, no sounds from engine at all before stalling, enough oil, no spark as well.

The codes were cleared by a friend of mine in attempt to restart it. The codes seem to be a lot of randomness and false alarms because of one fault triggering this.

I did pull the code through a normal obdii in hopes to start it while on the ramp

2FDP: crankshaft sensor, signal, not plausible
2A82: VANOS intake
2A87: Exhaust VANOS mechanism
2A98: crankshaft inlet camshaft, reference
2AA4: inlet camshaft position monitoring
2AB4: DME internal fault: RAM checksum
2ACC: DME master relay, shift delay
2DEC: power management battery
2E68: Knock-sensor signal 1 ( high circuit)
2E69: Knock sensor signal 2 (high circuit)
2F80: engine shutdown time plausibility
3100: boost pressure control deactivation

The codes were cleared by a friend of mine in attempt to restart it. The codes seem to be a lot of randomness and false alarms because of one fault triggering this.

all help is greatly appreciated

video of attempted start
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
shehab_e90
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i e90

I really need help please

Hey guys any ideas at all? I am really desperate for help to get my car alive again. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0