BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #67
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
So I'll ask - has anyone actually ever seen or felt the gravitational pull of another object? I remember 9.8 m/s from physics, but my understanding was that was actually an average and not a constant value.
The universal law of gravitation states that the force is inversely proportional to the distance squared. So depending on how far you are from the center of mass, it will change but the variation of these magnitudes is very small for us. You feel the resisting force on your feet everytime you stand.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #68
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Most have seen this, but still funny, and has to do with momentum.

10-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #69
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Most have seen this, but still funny, and has to do with momentum.

I forgot about this gem

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
Esteban43330.00
      10-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #70
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Interesting. I know theres plenty of questionable "facts" out there. It's always fascinating to hear other peoples views on this.

Regarding not being able to see an actual curve of the Earth, what about things like having to account for curvature of the Earth in long distance shooting, or tower heights for long distance radio transmissions, and the likes?
People have just started noticing censorship - but did you know the US Government held hearings with Google/Youtube in 2013 over why they weren't censoring "flat earth" videos?

Most are delisted/Monetized or outright deleted - same goes for Google's algorithm. What DOES exist is nonesene - The Flat Earth Society are anything but - it's a honeypot to catch curious people and give them erroneous information to make the position seem even more ridiculous than it already appears.(and trust me, I know it sounds ignorant!)

So with me telling you that - I don't have all the answers, I find out new things everyday. I did stumble across the explanation a few weeks ago, but I'll have to find it.

The radio towers for instance are a strength for FE - the claim is radio signals are able to travel the distance they can because of the level earth and longer wave length. There is also the datapoint that 95% of all telecommunications are run through cable - so it's just the final transmission run from radio towers
      10-21-2022, 03:11 PM   #71
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
The universal law of gravitation states that the force is inversely proportional to the distance squared. So depending on how far you are from the center of mass, it will change but the variation of these magnitudes is very small for us. You feel the resisting force on your feet everytime you stand.
Again, don't take it as I'm attacking you - but how was this measured? The current FE explanation for "gravity" is 'density' and by changing the density of an object, it causes it to rise of fall - there isn't a "gravity at all.
      10-21-2022, 05:12 PM   #72
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Again, don't take it as I'm attacking you - but how was this measured? The current FE explanation for "gravity" is 'density' and by changing the density of an object, it causes it to rise of fall - there isn't a "gravity at all.

What are you trying to measure? Gravitational acceleration of the earth? Galileo figured it out around 1600 by experimenting with rolling spheres of different mass down inclined planes.

You can drop a rhinoceros and a thumb tack from the same height in a vacuum and they'll both hit the ground at the same time.

Or are you trying to hold a particle in your hand called gravity (or a graviton) that tells you what he's doing? No offense taken, I also questioned everything while I was studying structural engineering and used the scientific method to confirm everything in a lab. Accepting answers blindly is a waste of mind but with that being said, there isn't even a drop of doubt that we landed on the moon lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 05:22 PM   #73
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Appreciate 1
kscarrol8889.50
      11-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #74
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Sparked by the Existence thread and talk about light speed... and I'm bored waiting for 4:30pm...

Say you have a spaceship that generates its own gravity. Not by rotating, but "magically" like they do in Star Trek and the likes. This ship is your source of gravity. If the ship suddenly moves in any direction, do you feel the affects of that as if you would in a car?

I've read a lot on this and found a lot of yes answers, but none of them stated the ship as being the source of gravity.

I did find some things on proper acceleration vs coordinate acceleration, proper being acceleration that deviates from the local gravitational field, and coordinate being acceleration with respect to some fixed point. Humans feel proper acceleration, which would be like being on Earth and accelerating in a vehicle. The vehicle is deviating from the gravitational pull of the Earth. But humans would not feel coordinate acceleration, which is what I would think fits the scenario of a moving ship thats generating that gravitational pull.
gravity does not exist in my mind, well, not a single scientist knows what it is

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/s...13gravity.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...b05_story.html
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #75
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
gravity does not exist in my mind, well, not a single scientist knows what it is

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/s...13gravity.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...b05_story.html
Hmm
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #76
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The black hole you harness to generate wormhole for FTL travel will act as the center gravitational source of "artificial" gravity.

For our flat-earth person, have you ever watched a ship with sails head for the horizon? The mast slowly disappears as the ship goes over the curve.
      11-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #77
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The black hole you harness to generate wormhole for FTL travel will act as the center gravitational source of "artificial" gravity.

For our flat-earth person, have you ever watched a ship with sails head for the horizon? The mast slowly disappears as the ship goes over the curve.
No it doesn’t - it goes into the horizon. You can prove this with any high zoom camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #78
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

If you believe in "curvature" this is impossible. Isn't the formula 1 mile =almost a foot of drop? Yeah...ok.
      11-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #79
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
So I'll ask - has anyone actually ever seen or felt the gravitational pull of another object? I remember 9.8 m/s from physics, but my understanding was that was actually an average and not a constant value.
I see the gravitational effects of another object every time I have lunch at a nearby sea port. The tides come in and the tides go out, thanks to the moon.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #80
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I see the gravitational effects of another object every time I have lunch at a nearby sea port. The tides come in and the tides go out, thanks to the moon.
They come in and go out regardless of a new moon or not.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/moon-tide.html
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #81
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

3.0 didn’t say anything about a new moon or not…
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:39 PM   #82
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
3.0 didn’t say anything about a new moon or not…
A new moon implies the moon isn’t present in your local sky - though, during a new moon it’s not visible at all anywhere, so how is it impacting your tides? They change twice a day like clockwork - ‘gravity’ has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #83
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Wow
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:07 PM   #84
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Wow
Yeah.

People have strong opinions, most of the time I’m finding it’s misplaced
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #85
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
A new moon implies the moon isn’t present in your local sky - though, during a new moon it’s not visible at all anywhere, so how is it impacting your tides? They change twice a day like clockwork - ‘gravity’ has nothing to do with it.
Your own link above clearly states that the moon and sun have an effect on the ocean tides. It also states there are other factors as well; neither is exclusive.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and I believe your opinion boils down to mistrust of science and government.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #86
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Your own link above clearly states that the moon and sun have an effect on the ocean tides. It also states there are other factors as well; neither is exclusive.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and I believe your opinion boils down to mistrust of science and government.
I said the tides go in or out regardless of the location of the moon, and the link supports that.

My mistrust is based on inconsistencies in the narrative - I’m not sure how grown adults (myself included) just regurgitate this stuff without thinking what we are saying.
Appreciate 0