BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

01-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Dhillon5.bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525xi 2007

Bmw 525xi e60

Has anyone had the issue where the steering wheel shakes and the whole car in the driver side front at low and high speeds car shakes at low speeds and both happens at high speed
      01-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Dhillon5.bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525xi 2007

I already had the wheels balanced and bought and mounted new tires
      01-18-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
JayArras
Casual Fanatic
Rep
Drives: '07 530xi

A few reasons I can think of:
1. Cracked rim
2. Bent rim
3. Wrong hub size on rim

Try swapping the front and rear tires and see if the problem shifts to the rear (unless you're staggered).
      01-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
spooner1sm
Bimmer Baby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi

Sort of have a similar issue in my 528xi. Noticeable vibrations that increase in frequency as the car speeds up. I'm getting new wheels and tyres soon, though, which I imagine will fix a lot of it. Some other things to check, though:
- Control arms
- Suspension bushings
- Axle
- Brake caliper

If your control arm(s) are bad, you're going to have a lot of problems. If your suspension bushings are bad, you'll get vibrations and you'll hear some pretty loud clunks and feel some instability when you go over bumps. If your axle is bent, you'll find the car feels sort of wobbly at low speeds, with a consistent vibration at higher speeds. If you've got a stuck brake caliper or brake drag anywhere, your braking is going to feel uneven and perhaps even "sticky". You'll also get vibrations and uneven brake wear.

Definitely the first place to check is going to be your wheels to make sure they're not damaged, bent, or sized wrong. I'd probably check the brake caliper(s) in the process. Then I'd go to control arm, then bushings, then axle. There's a number of other issues that cause cause that feeling, including your power steering/steering rack, your transmission, and your differentials, but it's usually something in the wheel and/or suspension, so I would look there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Maxmil982
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e60 535i xDrive

Had the same issue ended up being a bent rim
Appreciate 0