BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Thunderdome California?

I was surprised to come across this tonight, a bit amazed I hadn't heard anything about it considering how many people will potentially be impacted. Reports saying tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people in CA could be without power for five days? If I lived in those areas I'd have an excuse to break into my MREs and dried food I have horded, might be kinda fun.

If you live in these areas, good luck!

https://abc7news.com/weather/live-sa...-plan/5602410/
Appreciate 3
      10-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
7340
Rep
10,128
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I was surprised to come across this tonight, a bit amazed I hadn't heard anything about it considering how many people will potentially be impacted. Reports saying tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people in CA could be without power for five days? If I lived in those areas I'd have an excuse to break into my MREs and dried food I have horded, might be kinda fun.

If you live in these areas, good luck!

https://abc7news.com/weather/live-sa...-plan/5602410/
So progressive. Remeber the shit stain that was once the beautiful state of California is the plan that liberals have for the rest of America.
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

      10-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
So progressive. Remeber the shit stain that was once the beautiful state of California is the plan that liberals have for the rest of America.
Well at least they're not turning off the power in San Francisco, that at least gives you a fighting chance of not constantly stepping in human excrement!
Appreciate 3
Delta03117339.50
Now_Rudi6224.00
ItsGary1254.50

      10-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
695
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yup. There could be 800,000 customers with their electricity intentionally turned off because their power monopolies did not perform the required ongoing maintenance on their transmission grid.

About 10 years ago, our local power monopoly here on the east coast suffered two massive outages in a week due to winter snow/ice bringing down trees. The state regulators forced them to come up with an ongoing maintenance plan for removing trees near power lines, which costs them millions of dollars per year and requires the use of three different tree-trimming contractors to field the manpower. Long story short, we have had tropical storms, snow, ice, and even a tornado or two since then, and the power grid has been restored to 100% in less than 24 hours thanks to the trees not falling on the wires and causing week-long outages. It cost lots of money, but it can be done. California threw away a two-year head start to avoid this predictable outcome.

If the folks in Sacramento spent more time focusing on the power problem and less time on high-speed rail boondoggles, sanctuary cities, and vehicle emissions standards, the power wouldn't need to be turned off.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 18K miles
Appreciate 7
NickyC5349.00
Delta03117339.50
David0ff826.50
ItsGary1254.50
bd307632.00
Torgus1969.00

      10-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
e90335e36m3
Private First Class
103
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: '13 M3; '14 Chevy Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Not that anyone would miss me here, but I moved to this CA for a work assignment and can't wait to leave.

In the last five years I've lived in:
Texas...better than California
Connecticut...better than California
North Carolina...better than California
Poland...better than California

The only redeeming thing about living in San Diego is the weather, but otherwise, the people are not friendly, everything is expensive, old and run down...just don't see the appeal.
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

      10-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Yep, lucky me we live in an area scheduled to get shut off. PG&E is such a joke - I’ve been in this neighborhood for just over a year and we’ve had two outages due to transformers blowing (sounds like a bomb going off), one due to a storm and one for routine maintenance. Now this... CPUC doesn’t do crap and it’s like no one learned their lesson during the rolling blackouts in the 00’s. And to top it off, gas was $4.58 for premium today. I swear all the local stations are taking advantage of everyone filling up today just in case and those getting fuel for their generators.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP /// 3d Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors ///
Appreciate 1
NickyC5349.00

      10-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Yep, lucky me we live in an area scheduled to get shut off. PG&E is such a joke - I’ve been in this neighborhood for just over a year and we’ve had two outages due to transformers blowing (sounds like a bomb going off), one due to a storm and one for routine maintenance. Now this... CPUC doesn’t do crap and it’s like no one learned their lesson during the rolling blackouts in the 00’s. And to top it off, gas was $4.58 for premium today. I swear all the local stations are taking advantage of everyone filling up today just in case and those getting fuel for their generators.
Sorry to hear this man, hopefully nothing will come of it. If you do lose power, hopefully it's for as short a time as possible.

Road trip to Vegas time maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Major
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
757
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

Yup, says we will be affected in Solano county also. Had no idea, lucky got generators in the garage, just have to go get some gas.
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

      10-09-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sorry to hear this man, hopefully nothing will come of it. If you do lose power, hopefully it's for as short a time as possible.

Road trip to Vegas time maybe?
Thanks - will probably just camp out in the backyard. Got plenty of supplies for CA. Can’t speak for my neighbors but we’ll see. More annoyed to throw out 1 1/2 refrigerators worth of food for no good reason.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP /// 3d Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors ///
Appreciate 1
NickyC5349.00

      10-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #10
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
1145
Rep
2,545
Posts

Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Not that anyone would miss me here, but I moved to this CA for a work assignment and can't wait to leave.

In the last five years I've lived in:
Texas...better than California
Connecticut...better than California
North Carolina...better than California
Poland...better than California

The only redeeming thing about living in San Diego is the weather, but otherwise, the people are not friendly, everything is expensive, old and run down...just don't see the appeal.
The desert between Oceanside and San Diego smells beautiful early in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
N54Yankee
Major
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1559
Rep
1,215
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Yep, lucky me we live in an area scheduled to get shut off. PG&E is such a joke - I’ve been in this neighborhood for just over a year and we’ve had two outages due to transformers blowing (sounds like a bomb going off), one due to a storm and one for routine maintenance. Now this... CPUC doesn’t do crap and it’s like no one learned their lesson during the rolling blackouts in the 00’s. And to top it off, gas was $4.58 for premium today. I swear all the local stations are taking advantage of everyone filling up today just in case and those getting fuel for their generators.
$4.58 a gallon! Holy crap! Here in also high taxed NY I’m paying $ 2.99 for top tier 93 octane. I don’t feel so bad about gas prices now.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5349
Rep
5,739
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Thanks - will probably just camp out in the backyard. Got plenty of supplies for CA. Can’t speak for my neighbors but we’ll see. More annoyed to throw out 1 1/2 refrigerators worth of food for no good reason.
I hear you, that would really piss me off about the food. I keep about two weeks worth in both of my refrigerators, luckily never been burned with an extended power outage where I lose it all.

Good luck again!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
kent11202
Captain
United_States
479
Rep
869
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I'm stuck in the SF Bay Area as well. I'm prepared BUT it's a crap shoot depending on how long power is off. I loaded both the freezer and the freezer part of the refrigerator with containers of water yesterday and they at all frozen solid now - that should help a bit. To make matters worse, I told my wife we may experience a lack of water as well.

Surprise! They just announced we need to be careful about water usage because the pumps are electric - duh. Fortunately, we have water stored and if worse comes to worse, we can always access the 3 gallons of water in our 3 toilet tanks (not the bowl) as well as the water in our water heater (75 gallons) We may have to fill one of the bathtubs but haven't reached that point yet.

Generators are apparently vanishing from the stores as we speak so we may end up living a "good old days" lifestyle for a few days. Just for the heck of it, I checked on Generac generator prices online yesterday and learned they have GREAT financing of only 27%. Wow, that's special! LOL
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

      10-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
2000cs
Captain
1000
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

This is like an earthquake preparedness drill for y’all.
I would expect water pumping stations to have backup generation and redundant feeds; also public safety like water, hospitals, police, fire etc should be prioritized and not cut off.

While I understand the competing tensions of environmentalism (don’t cut anything alive), regulatory (don’t raise electric rates at all) and utility management (trim right-of-way but get reimbursed for the cost; don’t be held liable for fires that start if this isn’t allowed), a part of me believes PG&E is making these announcements to put political pressure on the regulators so that they can get the rates to recover the cost of right-of-way management.

On the other hand, one tenet of utilities is they have an “obligation to serve” so it is really contrary to their “dna” to even consider cutting off power voluntarily in non-emergency situations.
Appreciate 3
NickyC5349.00
Run Silent12183.00

      10-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
2000cs
Captain
1000
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Looks like PG&E is running the blackouts and SCE is considering same for several counties due to high winds and fire potential. CAISO showing low to negative real-time electricity prices, most likely reflecting reduced demand (because some is cut off) but continuing supply especially wind/solar. Ugly day in CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #16
kent11202
Captain
United_States
479
Rep
869
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
This is like an earthquake preparedness drill for y’all.

I would expect water pumping stations to have backup generation and redundant feeds; also public safety like water, hospitals, police, fire etc should be prioritized and not cut off.....

.....On the other hand, one tenet of utilities is they have an “obligation to serve” so it is really contrary to their “dna” to even consider cutting off power voluntarily in non-emergency situations.
I would expect the same vis-à-vis backup generators BUT it "may" be that their power generation is insufficient relative to delivering the sheer amount of water demand. For instance, we are approximately 1200 feet above sea level* so pumping up to that altitude may be problematic?

There's no practical way I know of wherein you can "selectively" exempt hospitals, etc. from this kind of stuff unless they are independent "feeds" which, at least at this juncture, don't exist.

*I know how far above sea level we are because the altimeter in our car says so - don't ask me why there's an altimeter in the car but there is.
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

      10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
kent11202
Captain
United_States
479
Rep
869
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
This is like an earthquake preparedness drill for y’all.

...a part of me believes PG&E is making these announcements to put political pressure on the regulators so that they can get the rates to recover the cost of right-of-way management.
I'll drink to that (even though I don't really drink) and I'll further state insurance companies will use this situation as a valid reason to increase homeowner insurance rates (jump on the bandwagon while it's easy)

As an aside, I stepped outside and it's eerily quiet....hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
2000cs
Captain
1000
Rep
620
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
I would expect the same vis-à-vis backup generators BUT it "may" be that their power generation is insufficient relative to delivering the sheer amount of water demand. For instance, we are approximately 1200 feet above sea level* so pumping up to that altitude may be problematic?

There's no practical way I know of wherein you can "selectively" exempt hospitals, etc. from this kind of stuff unless they are independent "feeds" which, at least at this juncture, don't exist.

*I know how far above sea level we are because the altimeter in our car says so - don't ask me why there's an altimeter in the car but there is.
That can be done circuit by circuit, assuming transmission remains up. For example, maintain power to the circuit with a hospital, cut the others in the area. If they cut off at the transmission level, all services will be in essentially black-out mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
That can be done circuit by circuit, assuming transmission remains up. For example, maintain power to the circuit with a hospital, cut the others in the area. If they cut off at the transmission level, all services will be in essentially black-out mode.
It's at the transmission level. Primarily lines on hillsides and ridge lines they expect to get gusting winds.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP /// 3d Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors ///
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7932
Rep
7,455
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

This is just payback for allowing the fire victims to sue the providers for their loss.

Funny that my home isn't on the list, but the fields just beyond my neighborhood are. The fields need electricity??? We aren't doing hydroponics on hemp in THOSE fields.

We aren't allowed by CARB to run the generator on our local water company well any more. But I bet it comes online in the event the electricity goes out.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
bd307
Chef
bd307's Avatar
632
Rep
817
Posts

Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Just got gas from Costco this morning and it is $4.10 for 91.

I hope a lot of these libs start to see why voting for their favorite party is not ideal, but maybe they are rich and don't care?

It starts to get ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
12183
Rep
3,400
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Just got gas from Costco this morning and it is $4.10 for 91.

I hope a lot of these libs start to see why voting for their favorite party is not ideal, but maybe they are rich and don't care?

It starts to get ridiculous.


Just gonna leave this here.....


Gotta love my town.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 4
NickyC5349.00
2000cs1000.00
vreihen16694.50
Torgus1969.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST