BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

10-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Thunderdome California?

I was surprised to come across this tonight, a bit amazed I hadn't heard anything about it considering how many people will potentially be impacted. Reports saying tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people in CA could be without power for five days? If I lived in those areas I'd have an excuse to break into my MREs and dried food I have horded, might be kinda fun.

If you live in these areas, good luck!

https://abc7news.com/weather/live-sa...-plan/5602410/
Appreciate 3
      10-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I was surprised to come across this tonight, a bit amazed I hadn't heard anything about it considering how many people will potentially be impacted. Reports saying tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people in CA could be without power for five days? If I lived in those areas I'd have an excuse to break into my MREs and dried food I have horded, might be kinda fun.

If you live in these areas, good luck!

https://abc7news.com/weather/live-sa...-plan/5602410/
So progressive. Remeber the shit stain that was once the beautiful state of California is the plan that liberals have for the rest of America.
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

10-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
So progressive. Remeber the shit stain that was once the beautiful state of California is the plan that liberals have for the rest of America.
Well at least they're not turning off the power in San Francisco, that at least gives you a fighting chance of not constantly stepping in human excrement!
Appreciate 3
Delta03117339.50
Now_Rudi6224.00
ItsGary1254.50

10-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Yup. There could be 800,000 customers with their electricity intentionally turned off because their power monopolies did not perform the required ongoing maintenance on their transmission grid.

About 10 years ago, our local power monopoly here on the east coast suffered two massive outages in a week due to winter snow/ice bringing down trees. The state regulators forced them to come up with an ongoing maintenance plan for removing trees near power lines, which costs them millions of dollars per year and requires the use of three different tree-trimming contractors to field the manpower. Long story short, we have had tropical storms, snow, ice, and even a tornado or two since then, and the power grid has been restored to 100% in less than 24 hours thanks to the trees not falling on the wires and causing week-long outages. It cost lots of money, but it can be done. California threw away a two-year head start to avoid this predictable outcome.

If the folks in Sacramento spent more time focusing on the power problem and less time on high-speed rail boondoggles, sanctuary cities, and vehicle emissions standards, the power wouldn't need to be turned off.....
Delta03117339.50
David0ff826.50
ItsGary1254.50
bd307632.00
Torgus1969.00

10-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
e90335e36m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 M3; '14 Chevy Sonic

Not that anyone would miss me here, but I moved to this CA for a work assignment and can't wait to leave.

In the last five years I've lived in:
Texas...better than California
Connecticut...better than California
North Carolina...better than California
Poland...better than California

The only redeeming thing about living in San Diego is the weather, but otherwise, the people are not friendly, everything is expensive, old and run down...just don't see the appeal.
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

10-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Yep, lucky me we live in an area scheduled to get shut off. PG&E is such a joke - I’ve been in this neighborhood for just over a year and we’ve had two outages due to transformers blowing (sounds like a bomb going off), one due to a storm and one for routine maintenance. Now this... CPUC doesn’t do crap and it’s like no one learned their lesson during the rolling blackouts in the 00’s. And to top it off, gas was $4.58 for premium today. I swear all the local stations are taking advantage of everyone filling up today just in case and those getting fuel for their generators.

10-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Yep, lucky me we live in an area scheduled to get shut off. PG&E is such a joke - I’ve been in this neighborhood for just over a year and we’ve had two outages due to transformers blowing (sounds like a bomb going off), one due to a storm and one for routine maintenance. Now this... CPUC doesn’t do crap and it’s like no one learned their lesson during the rolling blackouts in the 00’s. And to top it off, gas was $4.58 for premium today. I swear all the local stations are taking advantage of everyone filling up today just in case and those getting fuel for their generators.
Sorry to hear this man, hopefully nothing will come of it. If you do lose power, hopefully it's for as short a time as possible.

Road trip to Vegas time maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Yup, says we will be affected in Solano county also. Had no idea, lucky got generators in the garage, just have to go get some gas.
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

10-09-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Sorry to hear this man, hopefully nothing will come of it. If you do lose power, hopefully it's for as short a time as possible.

Road trip to Vegas time maybe?
Thanks - will probably just camp out in the backyard. Got plenty of supplies for CA. Can’t speak for my neighbors but we’ll see. More annoyed to throw out 1 1/2 refrigerators worth of food for no good reason.

10-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #10
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Not that anyone would miss me here, but I moved to this CA for a work assignment and can't wait to leave.

In the last five years I've lived in:
Texas...better than California
Connecticut...better than California
North Carolina...better than California
Poland...better than California

The only redeeming thing about living in San Diego is the weather, but otherwise, the people are not friendly, everything is expensive, old and run down...just don't see the appeal.
The desert between Oceanside and San Diego smells beautiful early in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
N54Yankee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
$4.58 a gallon! Holy crap! Here in also high taxed NY I’m paying $ 2.99 for top tier 93 octane. I don’t feel so bad about gas prices now.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - will probably just camp out in the backyard. Got plenty of supplies for CA. Can’t speak for my neighbors but we’ll see. More annoyed to throw out 1 1/2 refrigerators worth of food for no good reason.
I hear you, that would really piss me off about the food. I keep about two weeks worth in both of my refrigerators, luckily never been burned with an extended power outage where I lose it all.

Good luck again!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I'm stuck in the SF Bay Area as well. I'm prepared BUT it's a crap shoot depending on how long power is off. I loaded both the freezer and the freezer part of the refrigerator with containers of water yesterday and they at all frozen solid now - that should help a bit. To make matters worse, I told my wife we may experience a lack of water as well.

Surprise! They just announced we need to be careful about water usage because the pumps are electric - duh. Fortunately, we have water stored and if worse comes to worse, we can always access the 3 gallons of water in our 3 toilet tanks (not the bowl) as well as the water in our water heater (75 gallons) We may have to fill one of the bathtubs but haven't reached that point yet.

Generators are apparently vanishing from the stores as we speak so we may end up living a "good old days" lifestyle for a few days. Just for the heck of it, I checked on Generac generator prices online yesterday and learned they have GREAT financing of only 27%. Wow, that's special! LOL
Appreciate 2
NickyC5349.00

10-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is like an earthquake preparedness drill for y’all.
I would expect water pumping stations to have backup generation and redundant feeds; also public safety like water, hospitals, police, fire etc should be prioritized and not cut off.

While I understand the competing tensions of environmentalism (don’t cut anything alive), regulatory (don’t raise electric rates at all) and utility management (trim right-of-way but get reimbursed for the cost; don’t be held liable for fires that start if this isn’t allowed), a part of me believes PG&E is making these announcements to put political pressure on the regulators so that they can get the rates to recover the cost of right-of-way management.

On the other hand, one tenet of utilities is they have an “obligation to serve” so it is really contrary to their “dna” to even consider cutting off power voluntarily in non-emergency situations.
Appreciate 3
NickyC5349.00
Run Silent12183.00

10-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Looks like PG&E is running the blackouts and SCE is considering same for several counties due to high winds and fire potential. CAISO showing low to negative real-time electricity prices, most likely reflecting reduced demand (because some is cut off) but continuing supply especially wind/solar. Ugly day in CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #16
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post

I would expect water pumping stations to have backup generation and redundant feeds; also public safety like water, hospitals, police, fire etc should be prioritized and not cut off.....

.....On the other hand, one tenet of utilities is they have an “obligation to serve” so it is really contrary to their “dna” to even consider cutting off power voluntarily in non-emergency situations.
I would expect the same vis-à-vis backup generators BUT it "may" be that their power generation is insufficient relative to delivering the sheer amount of water demand. For instance, we are approximately 1200 feet above sea level* so pumping up to that altitude may be problematic?

There's no practical way I know of wherein you can "selectively" exempt hospitals, etc. from this kind of stuff unless they are independent "feeds" which, at least at this juncture, don't exist.

*I know how far above sea level we are because the altimeter in our car says so - don't ask me why there's an altimeter in the car but there is.
Appreciate 1
vreihen16694.50

10-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

...a part of me believes PG&E is making these announcements to put political pressure on the regulators so that they can get the rates to recover the cost of right-of-way management.
I'll drink to that (even though I don't really drink) and I'll further state insurance companies will use this situation as a valid reason to increase homeowner insurance rates (jump on the bandwagon while it's easy)

As an aside, I stepped outside and it's eerily quiet....hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
I would expect the same vis-à-vis backup generators BUT it "may" be that their power generation is insufficient relative to delivering the sheer amount of water demand. For instance, we are approximately 1200 feet above sea level* so pumping up to that altitude may be problematic?

There's no practical way I know of wherein you can "selectively" exempt hospitals, etc. from this kind of stuff unless they are independent "feeds" which, at least at this juncture, don't exist.

*I know how far above sea level we are because the altimeter in our car says so - don't ask me why there's an altimeter in the car but there is.
That can be done circuit by circuit, assuming transmission remains up. For example, maintain power to the circuit with a hospital, cut the others in the area. If they cut off at the transmission level, all services will be in essentially black-out mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That can be done circuit by circuit, assuming transmission remains up. For example, maintain power to the circuit with a hospital, cut the others in the area. If they cut off at the transmission level, all services will be in essentially black-out mode.
It's at the transmission level. Primarily lines on hillsides and ridge lines they expect to get gusting winds.
      10-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

This is just payback for allowing the fire victims to sue the providers for their loss.

Funny that my home isn't on the list, but the fields just beyond my neighborhood are. The fields need electricity??? We aren't doing hydroponics on hemp in THOSE fields.

We aren't allowed by CARB to run the generator on our local water company well any more. But I bet it comes online in the event the electricity goes out.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Just got gas from Costco this morning and it is $4.10 for 91.

I hope a lot of these libs start to see why voting for their favorite party is not ideal, but maybe they are rich and don't care?

It starts to get ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Just got gas from Costco this morning and it is $4.10 for 91.

I hope a lot of these libs start to see why voting for their favorite party is not ideal, but maybe they are rich and don't care?

It starts to get ridiculous.

Just gonna leave this here.....

Gotta love my town.
Attached Images

2000cs1000.00
vreihen16694.50
Torgus1969.00