BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Tax on online purchases?

How does this work? I was about to order a hard drive off of apple.com but they're taxing me $66.30. Same product on amazon has no tax.

How the hell does that make sense

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Both you and Apple are in California. In-state online purchases are subject to sales tax.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

apple is in CA

you are in CA

so you have to pay tax

Amazon isn't in CA

You pay taxes when you're in the same state as the business
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Major
Armenia
Rep

oh got it. That sucks apple had it cheaper. Freaking work I'd rather spend 700 on an ipad than a hard drive >.<

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

My understanding is that it depends whether the online retailer has a physical place of business in the state to which the product is being shipped. Since Apple has physical places of business in CA, you have to pay CA tax. Amazon has no physical place of business in CA, which is why it doesn't charge tax.

Caveat: Even if Amazon doesn't charge you sales tax, I believe you're supposed to report the purchase on your tax returns, and then pay the sales tax then.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

You would probably have to pay in other states if apple has a physical store in your state, correct?
      03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Amazon has no physical place of business in CA, which is why it doesn't charge tax.
Amazon does have subsidiaries in CA...so I'm not sure how that works. Much of the time you are buying from a 3rd party with Amazon acting as the intermediary...I'm honestly not sure how the sales tax works (whether they charge WA residents where they are HQ'd) or it's up to where the end seller is located...I've only bought a few things on Amazon and was frankly underwhelmed with the quality of their 3rd party sellers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
You would probably have to pay in other states if apple has a physical store in your state, correct?
You mean a retail store? I don't believe you pay tax just because there is a retail store in your area...I don't recall doing so ordering from like Best Buy for example
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Have someone from out of state buy and ship it to you ...Saves money in most instances.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Have someone from out of state buy and ship it to you ...Saves money in most instances.
then you pay for shipping twice

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
then you pay for shipping twice
But if you are paying $66 for tax alone, the shipping may cost you a whole lot less. Works only on big ticket items.

Also some States like OR do not have any sales tax on many items like PC stuff. I had my wife's cousin up there pick up a laptop I saw at Costco here and had it shipped to me. Tax would have been around $100 here. It only cost around $20 to ship it including insurance! ...I had better uses for that $80 I saved.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

apple charges everyone tax no matter what state

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I believe it's if you are having shipped from a shipping depot in the state or out of the state.

If shipped between two states interstate commerce laws take over and no sales tax involved.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
You mean a retail store? I don't believe you pay tax just because there is a retail store in your area...I don't recall doing so ordering from like Best Buy for example
Yes, that's what I meant. I've heard that before but I'm not sure if it's true, could just be a myth
      03-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Keep in mind that if you purchase things from out of state and don't pay sales taxe you are required to pay use tax in your state of use.

I'm sure everyone here does that. I know I do.......
      03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Keep in mind that if you purchase things from out of state and don't pay sales taxe you are required to pay use tax in your state of use.

I'm sure everyone here does that. I know I do.......
correct.

Although I'd say the big problem is if people continue to not pay the use tax....inevitably the government will probably step in and figure out a way to charge sales tax, no matter where the destination.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
correct.

Although I'd say the big problem is if people continue to not pay the use tax....inevitably the government will probably step in and figure out a way to charge sales tax, no matter where the destination.
Government taxes us enough already ...Sales tax is a state by state regulation. This issue of taxing cross-state commerce has been around before most of you guys (and I) were born. The advent and rapid popularity of e-commerce and ease of buying almost anything on line has just added more fuel to the fire. There are no easy answers and states know it. Every once in a while a state attorney somewhere threatens to take legal action against the big guys and gets some concession in return. Some like Dell, play ball and lay on their sides and let consumer pay up because they don't give a sh*t. Some like Amazon recognize that not charging sales tax brings more business their way and fight it. And it will continue on and on ....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Government taxes us enough already ...Sales tax is a state by state regulation. This issue of taxing cross-state commerce has been around before most of you guys (and I) were born. The advent and rapid popularity of e-commerce and ease of buying almost anything on line has just added more fuel to the fire. There are no easy answers and states know it. Every once in a while a state attorney somewhere threatens to take legal action against the big guys and gets some concession in return. Some like Dell, play ball and lay on their sides and let consumer pay up because they don't give a sh*t. Some like Amazon recognize that not charging sales tax brings more business their way and fight it. And it will continue on and on ....
Yep, you are correct here...but with this continued recession....I think that they may get a little more aggressive of trying to figure out a convoluted solution. I really hope not, but time will tell. Not necessarily from the sales perspective, but the purchaser's perspective. I mean, technically the IRS can currently crack down on you for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

apple charges sales tax in any state they have a brick and mortar store, not just CA. that's how most retailer do it even if you order online. amazon gets through so many loopholes it's puzzling. amazon HAD a distribution center here in dallas, but recently announced it's closure due to the state of texas trying to bone collect on sales tax not collected and paid. i order a fuck ton of shit off amazon and have never once been charged sales tax.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
But if you are paying $66 for tax alone, the shipping may cost you a whole lot less. Works only on big ticket items.

Also some States like OR do not have any sales tax on many items like PC stuff. I had my wife's cousin up there pick up a laptop I saw at Costco here and had it shipped to me. Tax would have been around $100 here. It only cost around $20 to ship it including insurance! ...I had better uses for that $80 I saved.
Or order from amazon and not pay tax. Pretty much anything on the Apple site is available on Amazon as well. Sometimes cheaper

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Caveat: Even if Amazon doesn't charge you sales tax, I believe you're supposed to report the purchase on your tax returns, and then pay the sales tax then.
Lol fat chance
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
apple charges everyone tax no matter what state
Not Oregon.. That state is tax exempt. I remember I drove down there with a friend a couple years back to get her macbook.
Appreciate 0