BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Buying concert tickets off of Craigslist

So i found a ticket for Tiesto that is going for $55 on ticketmaster right now ($75 with all the charges) but this girl is selling for $40 cash on craigslist. She's gonna take the metro to come from riverside to El Monte to sell them. Do you guys think it's a scam? Has anyone ever bought tickets from craigslist?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Risky idea ...How can you verify they are legit? Just a piece of printed cardboard.

If you decide to go for it, make sure you get her personal information : Name, address and Driver License number. If she's unwilling to share it, then it may be something fishy.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I have, and was leary like yourself. Although they were baseball tickets, it's the same concept. When I picked up the tickets from the seller, he showed me his ID, gave me his phone #, and I noted his license plate number for a little more comfort. In case the tickets were fake, I could track him down easier. I doubt he'd fake all that for the trouble of getting <$100.

BTW, the Tiesto show is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Risky idea ...How can you verify they are legit.

Just a piece of printed cardboard.
Wow I just read this online.. Fuck that I think I'll get it from ticketmaster

"Say you buy tickets online. You're not the original buyer, but a secondary buyer. IF the original buyer sells tickets to you, then reports them lost or stolen, Ticketmaster will invalidate your tickets and issue new ones which will be held at Will Call in the name of the original purchaser. And there is nothing you can do to prevent this from happening."

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I heart Tiesto. I want to go see him in Ibiza some day.
      11-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Wow I just read this online.. Fuck that I think I'll get it from ticketmaster

"Say you buy tickets online. You're not the original buyer, but a secondary buyer. IF the original buyer sells tickets to you, then reports them lost or stolen, Ticketmaster will invalidate your tickets and issue new ones which will be held at Will Call in the name of the original purchaser. And there is nothing you can do to prevent this from happening."
There you go. That's enough reason to avoid it personally.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I did last Basketball playoffs. The Cavs v. Magic game when Lebron hit the amazing buzzer beater. I would have no ploblem doing it again.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

I've sold and bought many tix on Craigslist and ebay. No problem ever. However, I won't buy electronic tix or tix printed on a home printer. I buy & sell hard ticketmaster tix only.

As everyone mentioned above, it is a good idea to obtain the buyer's info.

EDIT: If the event isn't sold out & won't be sold out, the tix will usually be sold below the face value. I've had this burn me a lot of times when I didn't even make my money back on great seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
jon-a4
Registered
Rep
Drives: A4

I joined this forum just to tell you not to buy these. I lurk on this forum when audizine gets boring.

So to the story - I have been to aprox 15 house shows around the world including cream fields, ibiza, tiesto for new years in NYC and electric zoo in nyc last labor day wknd.

That being said, I was pumped to find out that along with moving to LA, I was going to be able to go to Hard Haunted and see deadmau5 and bloody beetroots. Tickets sold out to Hard online. Went to Craigslist. Found billions of ppl selling tix online. Figured I would go with someone that was slightly over retail for the most, seemingly legit scalper. Paid 100 a ticket. All is good. Park at USC parking ramp and pre game with crew. Get to the door and they black light the back of the ticket. On ours, nothing appears. Same with about 50 other ppl that hit the gates right when we do. The retard in the yellow coat takes out a real ticket and black lights the back to show us the flower pattern that should appear on the back of the ticket. He takes oours and rips them in half and sends us packing. There were hundreds if not thousands of ppl that this happened to that were outraged in the street about being ripped off in a huge fake ticket ring.

Do not buy tickets to house concerts in the LA area on craigslist. The ones we bought seemed very real. High resolution prints, silver foil on the edge, nice clean consisitent perf edge for the stub. Buyer beware, no better way to ruin a night then to be all pumped up for a show and get crushed at the door.

Figured i would hopefully save someone the trouble...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
I've sold and bought many tix on Craigslist and ebay. No problem ever. However, I won't buy electronic tix or tix printed on a home printer. I buy & sell hard ticketmaster tix only.

EDIT: If the event isn't sold out & won't be sold out, the tix will usually be sold below the face value. I've had this burn me a lot of times when I didn't even make my money back on great seats.
It will get sold out for sure.. One of the biggest names in electornic music in a small venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-a4 View Post
I joined this forum just to tell you not to buy these. I lurk on this forum when audizine gets boring.

So to the story - I have been to aprox 15 house shows around the world including cream fields, ibiza, tiesto for new years in NYC and electric zoo in nyc last labor day wknd.

That being said, I was pumped to find out that along with moving to LA, I was going to be able to go to Hard Haunted and see deadmau5 and bloody beetroots. Tickets sold out to Hard online. Went to Craigslist. Found billions of ppl selling tix online. Figured I would go with someone that was slightly over retail for the most, seemingly legit scalper. Paid 100 a ticket. All is good. Park at USC parking ramp and pre game with crew. Get to the door and they black light the back of the ticket. On ours, nothing appears. Same with about 50 other ppl that hit the gates right when we do. The retard in the yellow coat takes out a real ticket and black lights the back to show us the flower pattern that should appear on the back of the ticket. He takes oours and rips them in half and sends us packing. There were hundreds if not thousands of ppl that this happened to that were outraged in the street about being ripped off in a huge fake ticket ring.

Do not buy tickets to house concerts in the LA area on craigslist. The ones we bought seemed very real. High resolution prints, silver foil on the edge, nice clean consisitent perf edge for the stub. Buyer beware, no better way to ruin a night then to be all pumped up for a show and get crushed at the door.

Good looking out man I don't think I'm gonna get it. Thanks a lot

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-a4 View Post

Dang.... tough luck man. They probably had a pressman help them. They really did their homework and there was little you could do. Maybe lesson learned here is to bring a black light to check for marks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post

I've bought a few tickets on CL and have had positive experiences. It's really the luck of the draw. I'd say most people selling on CL are normal folks like ourselves. I would still use CL..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

My brother sells tickets on craigslist....we're legit. o_O
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I've always bought Lakers tickets from Craigslist. So far all legit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

its risky. didnt you hear about what happened with the tickets for U2 at the rose bowl? some people have had no problems, some people have had problems - its all up to you...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
jon-a4
Registered
Rep
Drives: A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Dang.... tough luck man. They probably had a pressman help them. They really did their homework and there was little you could do. Maybe lesson learned here is to bring a black light to check for marks.

I've bought a few tickets on CL and have had positive experiences. It's really the luck of the draw. I'd say most people selling on CL are normal folks like ourselves. I would still use CL..
I mean more importantly, I never knew that this was a method/measure that was taken on tickets - for that a lesson learned.

I have heard ppl on other forums asking for C'list seller's driver license numbers and jotting down their license plates. If they wont volunteer that information, they are more likely to be fakes.

Who knows though...
Appreciate 0