BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

09-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
Revout
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i

Misfiring, Low power, Rough idle

BMW 550i 83k miles (Purchased a few days ago)

ISSUE: Misfiring, low power, rough Idle

Experience: Upon startup check engine is on and feel the car lags, not responsive as it should be. As the car heats up, rough idling and lag ger more severe. On hot days (recently has been 90+ degrees) the car runs runs way worse and even has stalled out a few times. The responsiveness gets worse and makes me have to basically full throttle just to get it going from a dead stop. When it’s at its worse I put it in park to try to keep it from dying.

Things I Know so far: May of 2023 the car was seen by BMW after the dealer I purchased it from replaced the spark plugs, coils, and intake (not sure how specific “intake” parts where changed or what brands the replacement parts were). BMW would only tell me that once I called to confirm, they need me to bring the car in to show proof that I own it now.

During the first day driving I noticed the check engine was on and yes I still bought the car because it was so low in price. It stalled after I did my joy ride, didn’t push it too hard but the day was really hot and I was using the AC. It stalled 3 times while I was at a red light in dense traffic, putting it in park wasn’t enough, I had to put it in park and throttle a bit to keep the RPM’s high to keep it alive.

Found out cylinders 1-5 were misfiring as I immediately took it to a mechanic that was 4 minutes away from where I was stalling at (Thank God!!!) I didn’t get the specific codes that day but after the car sat and cooled it ran way better still misfiring but no stalling and the idle was not that rough for the rest of the day.

Fast forward a couple days, I took it to a tech my friends normally take their high end cars too, very trustworthy guy. He gave plugged in and was able to give me the specific BMW Codes.

CODES:
0029CC- combustion misfires several cylinders
0029CD- Cylinder 1 misfire
0029CE- Cylinder 2 misfire
0029D0- Cylinder 4 misfire
0029D1- Cylinder 5 misfire
002B70- variable intake system, activation
002DED- Power management, closed-circuit current violation
002E24- Cylinder 1 ignition coil
002E26- Cylinder 3 ignition coil
002E27- Cylinder 4 ignition coil
002E28- Cylinder 5 ignition coil

Research leads: (skipping past coils, plugs, intake)
-vanos solenoids may need to be cleaned/replaced
-IVM may need to be replaced due to corrosion maybe on a specific connection
-Compression test may be needed

Where I’m currently at with this:
Scheduled to get a full diagnosis done but I want to know if anyone has had similar issues, the N62 engines aren’t the favorite option out of the E60 5 series lineup and not the most reliable but this is the platform I’ve been given the opportunity to dive into to learn hands on how to do my own maintenance (some choice right lol) I live in the states but welcome any advice from anywhere from anyone who can guide me a bit. Although I am taking it to a shop, the shop has been working on cars for me and my friends for years and is allowing me to be there to be hands on with the repairs.

Will be posting this several places so if you notice this in multiple forums I apologize Loki really need answers from other N62 owners.

Thank you all and have a blessed one!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
Bic626
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 530i base

Garage List
2006 Bmw 530i  [8.50]
Hey any chance u can give me some advice? I have a 06 530i with 137000 miles and i heard ccc goes out by that time and its just stopped rebooting now it just flashes a white screen for half a sec and goes black . I want my musoc man anything would help
Appreciate 0