BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
sandiegokiwi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW e60 550i

550i keeps going into limp mode

Hey guys,
Brand new to this forum, looks like some really great information on here!
I have an issue, I just purchased a 2010 550i about 8 weeks back, 57,000 miles. Been running fine since the day I got it.
Starting last week, was driving my car about 30mph in traffic. All of a sudden, lost most of the power and went into limp mode. No warnings or codes on the dash. I pulled over, shut the car off then restarted a minute later...car drove fine, no limp mode or anything like that, running as normal.
A couple days later, on the freeway just cruising, same thing. Limp mode with no warnings, pulled off to the side. This time when I restarted, there was no limp mode and was able to drive home, BUT it was showing DCB malfunction, drive control system and start off assistance deactivated on the I-drive.
Next day all warnings on the dash had gone and drove it to a independent BMW shop. They ran all their tests, checked for codes, which they found a stored code for a drop in voltage. They checked the battery which was holding a charge and the alternator seemed to be working as normal.
They cleared codes and said it may have just been some weird anomaly. Cleared codes and sent me on my way.
As I was approaching my house 15 miles away, LIMP MODE again! No warnings on the dash or I-drive again. Turned off to restart, this time, it stayed in limp mode and was showing engine malfunction, reduced power.
Got a tow truck the following day and sent it back to the shop. They checked the codes and was showing something different from the first time around, they have had the car for 5 days trying to get it to repeat itself by going into limp mode, and of course...it hasn't done so.
They seem to be at a loss as they can't really find any accurate code and they don't want to start the guessing game as to what it could be.
Why are they trying to get it to repeat itself if I've mentioned exactly how it's going into limp mode...or is it they are trying to catch it when it happens and try to find a code as soon as it happens before shutting the vehicle down and everything resetting (I'm still new to how these BMW's work).
Any input or information from anyone out there is much appreciated. I love the 550i and want her back, over driving the girlfriends Ford
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
09550Sport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegokiwi View Post
Hey guys,
Brand new to this forum, looks like some really great information on here!
I have an issue, I just purchased a 2010 550i about 8 weeks back, 57,000 miles. Been running fine since the day I got it.
Starting last week, was driving my car about 30mph in traffic. All of a sudden, lost most of the power and went into limp mode. No warnings or codes on the dash. I pulled over, shut the car off then restarted a minute later...car drove fine, no limp mode or anything like that, running as normal.
A couple days later, on the freeway just cruising, same thing. Limp mode with no warnings, pulled off to the side. This time when I restarted, there was no limp mode and was able to drive home, BUT it was showing DCB malfunction, drive control system and start off assistance deactivated on the I-drive.
Next day all warnings on the dash had gone and drove it to a independent BMW shop. They ran all their tests, checked for codes, which they found a stored code for a drop in voltage. They checked the battery which was holding a charge and the alternator seemed to be working as normal.
They cleared codes and said it may have just been some weird anomaly. Cleared codes and sent me on my way.
As I was approaching my house 15 miles away, LIMP MODE again! No warnings on the dash or I-drive again. Turned off to restart, this time, it stayed in limp mode and was showing engine malfunction, reduced power.
Got a tow truck the following day and sent it back to the shop. They checked the codes and was showing something different from the first time around, they have had the car for 5 days trying to get it to repeat itself by going into limp mode, and of course...it hasn't done so.
They seem to be at a loss as they can't really find any accurate code and they don't want to start the guessing game as to what it could be.
Why are they trying to get it to repeat itself if I've mentioned exactly how it's going into limp mode...or is it they are trying to catch it when it happens and try to find a code as soon as it happens before shutting the vehicle down and everything resetting (I'm still new to how these BMW's work).
Any input or information from anyone out there is much appreciated. I love the 550i and want her back, over driving the girlfriends Ford
Sounds like you need a new battery. A lot of weird, unexplainable faults can occur when your battery is failing. Replace it and there’s a very good chance your problems will magically disappear. I suggest an AGM battery, and make sure you have it coded in and registered.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

IVM?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
ABCarr
Registered