BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-15-2023, 04:48 PM   #67
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I'm sure I'm atypical. My 2014 M235i only has 21,000 miles on it. Still looks, smells and drives like new. And its stock.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 4
sygazelle11416.00
antgenn319.00
Llarry15969.50
      11-18-2023, 05:53 AM   #68
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Whenever I am at the front line of red light stop, I test 0 - 60 acceleration to the max.
I turn off the music and listen to the roaring sound of the engine.
There is a maximum speed limit. However, there is no maximum acceleration limit. ��
Am I a typical BMW driver?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      11-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #69
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2021 View Post
There is a maximum speed limit. However, there is no maximum acceleration limit.
Next time you have a chance, ask if your jurisdiction has a law against 'exhibition of speed'.
Appreciate 7
tom2021220.00
vreihen1615278.50
M5Rick60072.50
Esteban43748.00
Llarry15969.50
      11-18-2023, 09:02 AM   #70
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I'm sure I'm atypical. My 2014 M235i only has 21,000 miles on it. Still looks, smells and drives like new. And its stock.
You will enjoy this
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=222
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #71
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Next time you have a chance, ask if your jurisdiction has a law against 'exhibition of speed'.
Definitely have that where I live - both that and speed exhibition. An e50 tune w/ xDrive launches = a receipt showing you did it

"Exhibition of speed or acceleration" means the sudden acceleration of a vehicle resulting in the screeching of the vehicle's tires that is done to intentionally draw the attention of persons present toward the vehicle. "Speed exhibition" means the operation of a motor vehicle to present a display of speed or power.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00
      11-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #72
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2021 View Post
Whenever I am at the front line of red light stop, I test 0 - 60 acceleration to the max.
I turn off the music and listen to the roaring sound of the engine.
There is a maximum speed limit. However, there is no maximum acceleration limit. ��
Am I a typical BMW driver?
I so enjoy having Pole Position at a light
M5Rick60072.50
      11-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #73
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I so enjoy having Pole Position at a light
Me, too!! I love watching all the other traffic get smaller in my rear view mirror. And in all honesty I don’t even gun it when I’m taking off. I just accelerate at a steady rate until I’m nine miles over the limit.

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-18-2023 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15761.00
Llarry15969.50
      11-18-2023, 12:36 PM   #74
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a very courteous driver. I always use my blinkers. I let others merge in. I don't cut people off. I stay right except to pass. Under ordinary circumstances, I do not tailgate. That being said, do not hold me up in the left lane driving below the speed limit with no traffic ahead of you. I drives me bat shit crazy. Look in your f'ing mirror and move over. Please see signature below.
Quote:
When changing lanes on the highway, I use my blinkers at the time of the move. Three obligatory clicks. I see my gap and make my move. I do not use them in advance as an invitation or please let me in. This is also to avoid those that see your blinker and speed up not to let you in.

When driving in the streets, I use them in advance. Another thing that drives me batshit crazy is when driving on a two lane roadway without left turn lanes and the person ahead of me is making a left and puts on their blinker after they have already stopped. Had you put it on in advance, I could have gone around you instead of getting stuck behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
1. I pay attention.
2. I have a fairly good amount of driving skill (trailing-throttle oversteer is my favorite).
3. I drive like I have somewhere to go.
4. I typically drive 5-10 mph OVER the speed limit.
5. I don't eat, or use my phone when I drive (except on the Interstate).
6. Every car I drive is very well maintained, I know it well, and it moves WELL.

If you mix those things with the typical clueless drivers on the road there is natural conflict. This is as much my fault as it is theirs, so it is what it is.

Not sure if that's the typical BMW driver, I think it's more typical of sports car drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I'm a courteous driver, but have very low tolerance for people who suck at driving and are not paying attention. If I'm stuck behind someone who is clearly texting and can't decide if they want to do 55 or 25 on a 50 mph road I will use my right foot to get as far away from them as possible. Wake the fuck up people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
I am polite, use my turn signals 100%, stay out of the left lane except to pass. Drive 10mph over, unless I am in FL where we drive quite a bit faster than that.

Speaking of FL, Joralemon st. is correct -- no one signals down here no matter what they're driving.

But I lose all sense of decency when I find someone camped out in the left lane and refusing to move over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
I - and surely most here - love the driving experience with a machine that can confidently execute a risk managed move. That's not to say driving with the sole intent to anger other motorists - no, they just happen to be in the vicinity. There was something about the E generation cars that tended to extract this behavior more.

If you are being tailgated or flashed, the likelihood that you are the cause is very high. Then, who really is the bad driver? Most of us pay attention to the road, our line and easily get worked up when others clearly don't.

While it has negative connotations, it should be understood more in the context of confident driving. So, long live the stigma. It's a universal identity - good or bad - something other marques cannot naturally achieve. Maybe Rolls Royce and extreme wealth. - oh right, we own that too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I use my blinkers 100% of the time and am courteous to courteous drivers. I stay out of the left lane, if I see a faster car approaching I will delay my pass, allow other to merge in, etc.

Now - that being said - if you are a dickhead driver - I will be a dickhead too. You stay in the left lane so you can play on your phone - expect my hood ornament in your colon. You try and merge onto a 70 mph highway going 30 - F you - I'm not stopping for you. You slow way down in the driving lane before moving into the turn lane - expect the horn.

Do unto others and all that............
I’ve been planning to post pretty much since this thread started, but all of this is pretty much everything I would write about myself.

11-23-2023, 10:54 PM   #75
Entropy89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Garage List
NYC born, raised, and learned to drive on Long Island…but ever since I got my dashcam and I’ve been much more tolerant and patient. And I also have a kid now so that changes things a bit. Although I’ll still yell and curse at other drivers as part of my general demeanor cause you just gotta, to be able to drive here. And on open roads I still have my fun.

I do always use my blinkers tho. I dont know why BMW drivers don’t like using blinkers, BMW (aside from the E90??) has some of the best blinker stalk feel…very crisp click into place. It’s very satisfying.

2018 F30 330ix - no more.

2005 E46 325xi - I want this car back.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15761.00
vreihen1615278.50
dradernh4413.00
      11-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #76
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy89 View Post
BMW (aside from the E90??) has some of the best blinker stalk feel…very crisp click into place. It’s very satisfying.
Wish that I could say the same for my BMW i3 turn signal lever, which is fly-by-wire and totally numb.....
      11-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #77
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Amusing posts! Very much so...

First and foremost, the OP has made assumption as to what "typical" means... For the record, I've noticed that "Tesla" is the new BMW is regard to "Driver" performance (ie, idiots) lmao! So as BMW owners, we all get a buy!

Also for the record, is that as a BMW owner, you are required to drive it like you just STOLE IT! End of conversation! I HATE seeing a car being driven like it's a Grandma on the way to church in the left lane, when the car was made for SO MUCH MORE!!!

Drive it the way it was meant to be driven and damn the torpedos!!! Get a good Radar Detector and stop lazying around put-putting in the left lane! And for heaven sakes, stop trying to be a tough guy behind a 2 ton vehicle because once your outside, the car can't protect you! Lol.

So use it or lose it... The power is made for passing, no need for tailgating, just go around the obstacle! And if you don't beat your Goggle Maps estimate on ETA, you're NOT driving correctly! Hahahaha

Have a great day!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15761.00
Buug95917409.50
      11-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #78
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
And if you don't beat your Goggle Maps estimate on ETA, you're NOT driving correctly! Hahahaha

Have a great day!
My favorite game!
      04-20-2024, 09:55 AM   #79
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

A Bimmer driver asks other drivers: "What car do you drive?"

Driver A: "a Honda"
Bimmer driver: "it is just a regular car"

Driver B: "an Audi"
Bimmer driver: "a decent car"

Driver C: "a Mercedes"
Bimmer driver: "it is ok"

Driver D: "a Porshce"
Bimmer driver: "excessive"

Driver E: "a Ferrari"
Bimmer driver: "So, you are rich"
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2065.00
00SH4WN84.50
      04-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #80
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I keep hearing that BMW drivers are known to tailgate, don't use their blinkers, cut people off, and generally drive like a$$hats.

Is this a myth or do you think it's really true. Do BMW drivers deserve this stigma?

For me personally, it's not the case. I don't think so anyway. I use my turn signals almost 100% of the time. I stop completely at each and every stop sign. When its going to be a tie at a stop sign, I usually slow down a bit so the other person is first, eliminating that awkward "who goes first" moment. I don't tailgate.

What kind of driver are you?
Complete myth. You don’t need a BMW to drive like an ahole
Appreciate 6
JMcLellan2065.00
vreihen1615278.50
00SH4WN84.50
Esteban43748.00
      04-20-2024, 12:01 PM   #81
I800C0LLECT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

I'm a huge fan of no speed limits. What makes us all assholes is that we're passing each other at 1mph. The people getting overtaken see it as passive aggressive because it's not a deliberate effort...it's granny passing...even at 5mph above speed limits.

I didn't notice this until I went to Germany. With no limits, you drive deliberately and everybody knows each others intentions. When you're all creeping by each other nobody is certain what the other drivers are going to do and tension goes up.

I can't stand being back in the states. I want the laws changed. $10 speeding tickets with cameras. Have point levels that will remove your license for 30 days, 60 days, 180 days, and 365. Out of control fines are just pissing everybody off. Make them ride a bike or find other means after 10, 15, or 20 speeding points will get rid of all the ridiculous anxiety.

THEN...ENFORCE LEFT LANE PASSING ONLY!!!!....AND....NO PASSING IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

Driving in the states is way more stressful, especially with the complicated road systems.

EDIT: Most important of all, it'll redirect police resources to real matters.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615278.50
Buug95917409.50
      04-20-2024, 01:47 PM   #82
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
I'm a huge fan of no speed limits. What makes us all assholes is that we're passing each other at 1mph. The people getting overtaken see it as passive aggressive because it's not a deliberate effort...it's granny passing...even at 5mph above speed limits.

I didn't notice this until I went to Germany. With no limits, you drive deliberately and everybody knows each others intentions. When you're all creeping by each other nobody is certain what the other drivers are going to do and tension goes up.

I can't stand being back in the states. I want the laws changed. $10 speeding tickets with cameras. Have point levels that will remove your license for 30 days, 60 days, 180 days, and 365. Out of control fines are just pissing everybody off. Make them ride a bike or find other means after 10, 15, or 20 speeding points will get rid of all the ridiculous anxiety.

THEN...ENFORCE LEFT LANE PASSING ONLY!!!!....AND....NO PASSING IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

Driving in the states is way more stressful, especially with the complicated road systems.

EDIT: Most important of all, it'll redirect police resources to real matters.
Re: the left lane thing...
Might work in the wide open spaces of West Texas, but it'll NEVER work in the metropolitan areas. There is a serious lack of drivers EDUCATION here and most drivers, let alone our freeways, can't handle Autobahn speeds. When I learned to drive over 50 years ago drivers ed was just that. There was classroom, simulator and actual driving involved. We used to have some of the best drivers in the country, now we have some of the worst. Our 55mph truck speed limit causes all kinds of issues when the 55mph truck tries to pass the other 55mph truck. I got stuck behind that operation for some 20 miles once.

Cameras? I think not. We have this thing called a Constitution that assumes "innocence;" cameras, by their nature, assume guilt. We also have the right to question our accuser. Can't question a camera. I do know they are used in some jurisdictions and don't know how they pass Constitutional muster. Red light cameras are the same.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #83
I800C0LLECT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

The cameras in Germany are followed up with a letter in the mail. They compare the photo of your license and and driver.

There’s a whole process to protect you from paying an arbitrary fine. But also…it starts at $10. If you are 20 over the limit…it’s a little more. They always lower the speed they captured you at as well.

They warn you in most places about the camera. If they setup up a random location then there’s more burden of proof on the state. You can also write a rebuttal explaining that you’re having a bad day or whatever and they give you the benefit of doubt. Extremely honest system. Very high success rate of removing the ticket by explaining yourself.

A German friend received over thirty tickets before they warned of suspending the license for 30 days.

They don’t beat you over the head for it. In areas where traffic is a problem they usually limit the speed to 120kmh.

Heavy traffic was never a problem…until I went to the Netherlands. They have almost the same traffic laws as us. It immediately felt like being in the states and everybody started driving terribly.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917409.50
      04-20-2024, 08:19 PM   #84
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I've driven in Germany, and in most respects it's a different world. This Wikipedia entry detailing the requirements for German residents to receive a driver's license helps to explain why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drivin...nce_in_Germany

(further specifics here: https://handbookgermany.de/en/driving-licence)

"The German driving licence can be obtained after finishing driving school and passing both a theory and a practical examination. In order to apply for a driving licence, it is necessary to show proof of an eye exam as well as a first aid course consisting of 9 units of each 45 minutes."

"Both exams are held by an authorised inspector who visits the driving school for this purpose. Students must pass the theory test before sitting the road test, with no more than a twelve-month gap between the two. During the road test, the driving instructor is present in the car with the assisting features of the driving-school car deactivated or connected to audio signals and a warning light (if the instructor has to intervene, the test will result in failure)."

"The cost of obtaining a licence for driving a car is on average 3,000€ (US$3,300 in January 2024) but varies widely according to an individual's skill, city and region.[8] Individual driving schools set their own prices. The total includes fees for: authorities and exams, learning materials, driving lessons and tuition."

Obviously, no American in his or her right mind would think of sitting still for a regime as onerous as the German people are willing to accept.

Regarding the autobahn, here in America it is oversold as a wide-open driving experience. Most of it is two lanes with trucks restricted to the right-hand lane and to 50 mph (YES! ). In urban regions it is usually busy and speed-restricted. Nevertheless, where it's open to driving fast it is legal to do so and generally quite safe. Right-hand lane drivers pulling out to go around slow-moving trucks tend to be the principal obstacles on the autobahn's open stretches.
Appreciate 3
Llarry15969.50
vreihen1615278.50
jmg18705.00
      04-21-2024, 02:43 PM   #85
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliphil View Post
Complete myth. You don’t need a BMW to drive like an ahole
Where I live, you need a Tesla Model Y.
Appreciate 2
eliphil1837.50
M5Rick60072.50
      04-22-2024, 01:18 AM   #86
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I heard this quote the other day:

"Don't be nice, be predictable."

That doesn't mean I'm not thoughtful and courteous, what this means to me is that:

If they are trying to turn onto the road with moving traffic, I'm not going to wave them in while I stop traffic unexpectedly. That causes accidents.

If someone signals to get into my lane, I'll let them in, I'll even let off the gas. However, if they are going significantly slower than everyone behind me, I will not slow down excessively because they are not comfortable with the flow of traffic. If they are comfortable at their speed, they can stay at their speed... behind me.

If someone is in the passing lane and the second lane is going faster, they are in the wrong lane. If I just sit behind them and match their speed, now there are 2 cars in the wrong lane. If the person behind me does the same, now there are 3 cars in the wrong lane and we have created backup. Multiple people in the wrong lane makes it difficult for anyone to pass the slow cars. That causes traffic and potential accidents. Instead, I will go around them and potentially piss them off. Now there is one less person in the wrong lane, and it's that much easier for all the other cars to pass the slow car in the passing lane. My point is this: Bad drivers getting pissed off is less important to me than the proper flow of traffic in a safe and efficient manner.

At a 4 ways stop, I will not confuse the other drivers by being "nice" and giving someone the right of way to go if it is not their turn. That will cause accidents. Cars that arrive first, will go first. Cars to the right have the right of way if all cars arrive at the same time. Period. No confusion.

I will treat an intersection with a broken light exactly the same way as a 4 way stop sign. No, 4 cars in a row cannot go at the same time. Do not wave people through, follow the rules.

I will never brake check anyone.

I will never use my vehicle as a weapon or to threaten anyone.

I will always use my blinker when changing lanes. Not because it's nice, but because I want others to know what my intentions are. If they don't want to let me in, then speed the fuck up or maintain their speed so I can time my merge to be as respectful to the flow of traffic as I can. I don't care. After I turn my signal on, what they shouldn't do is creep slowly into my blind spot from 3 car length back then SLOW DOWN AND SIT THERE like a jackass. That's either being passive aggressive or stupidly unaware of their surroundings. Both are signs of a bad driver. They WILL get the horn, because:

I will always use my horn to inform other drivers of my presence, that is it's purpose. It is not used in anger. To these drivers: don't take it as anger, take it as an attempt to inform you that I am here, because your actions indicated otherwise.

I will never tailgate. Using the 3 second rule, I will always have enough room to brake, even if they brake suddenly. I will look past their vehicle to see what the traffic is ahead of them. If they are only going 15 MPH, the 3 second rule reduces that following distance significantly. So if they think I'm tailgating, they should increase their speed, and the distance will increase.

I DO NOT OWN THE ROAD, and neither does anyone else. If anyone acts like the road belongs to them, they will get the horn to remind them that they need to know there is someone else on the road besides them, because that's what the horn is for: to inform uninformed drivers of your presence.

I drove this way before I considered myself a bimmer driver.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 04-22-2024 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:31 PM   #87
Shrimpy
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

My sister in law after seeing my new to me BMW said......"Do you know what the difference is between a porcupine and a BMW..............On a BMW, the prick is on the inside!!

Yes, I laughed!!!!!