BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-24-2023, 06:45 PM   #23
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I've got one more point about your garage lighting. It matters what color you paint the garage walls and ceiling. My garage is all white walls and ceiling. I think it takes less lighting when the walls and ceiling are white.
White!
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11419.00
      10-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #24
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Ok I understand better what you’re after.

I would suggest using jackshaft openers to save ceiling space (no center tracks). Put electrical outlets near the top corner of each garage door for those.

8ft LED lights parallel to the cars, off center towards the back of the garage (to get more light when doors are open). Place one at the top of your drawing, another between each vehicle, and one more at the bottom. The light between the garage doors will fit between the two garage door tracks and not interfere. Other lights are fine; I’m assuming you like the linear setup of the LED (formerly known as fluorescent).
Something like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Llarry15980.00
      10-24-2023, 07:09 PM   #25
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Something like this?
Yes but with the garage door openers mounted on the wall next to each door (Jackshaft style opener). That eliminates the motor above the car, and that track. That’s my preference for openers, but your drawing would work as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #26
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
As promised ... a few pictures to try to show the light produced by various lights in my shop.

First: The two 60w bulbs in the door opener's light (Note: the camera did a longer exposure due to the lack of light)

Name:  20231024_185019.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  302.7 KB

Second: Two 4-bulb banks of fluorescent lights

Name:  20231024_185048.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  403.2 KB

Third: Five of the 35,000 lumen UFO lights

Name:  20231024_185116.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  420.2 KB

Last edited by dscabra; 10-24-2023 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 6
2000cs3502.50
Llarry15980.00
Dagstar352.50
Oldgixxer1914.00
Mirko182.00
      10-24-2023, 09:27 PM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
As promised ... a few pictures to try to show the light produced by various lights in my shop.

First: The two 60w bulbs in the door opener's light (Note: the camera did a longer exposure due to the lack of light)

Attachment 3307101

Second: Two 4-bulb banks of fluorescent lights

Attachment 3307100

Third: Five of the 35,000 lumen UFO lights

Attachment 3307099
Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 06:25 AM   #28
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Quote:
slilley If I understand correctly, you are rotating all (8) lights and centering left to right as I have shown in red? Just turned 90 degrees.
This is what I was trying to describe:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #29
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
That's how I have it set - with the lights running between the doors. Every now and then, you get some nice summer evenings where you need lighting and want the doors open.

One thing I did add, I have a few lights on motion detection...so if I need to walk into the garage in the dark (to get a tool or something) - some lights automatically kick on. No need to flip a switch if I'm just in and out. There's not much more to the cost in adding one or two of these.

Will state, I've been considering the honeycomb for the back part of the garage as I want something more flush. Little pricey for what it is, haven't pushed the purchase button, but was considering. I'd need to paint the ceiling black to make it stand out, just not sure if I want to go through all the work.
Attached Images

10-25-2023, 08:26 AM   #30
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Just to chime in, I have 8 4-ft led lights in my 3-car, and it's extremely well lit everywhere. I absolutely love it and recommend erring on the overkill side - led lighting is cheap both up front and for use. I went parallel to the cars with 6 of them (for aesthetics) and then I have 2 perpendicular to those to illumate the deeper section of the 2-car portion of my garage (which you don't have), where I have a work bench and cabinets. Even with the garage doors open blocking essentially 3 of my lights, there is perfect lighting. I don't think I've ever had the doors open at night and been working on the 'dark side' near the garage doors, though. You could probably get away with 6 lights with your foot print if you wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #31
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley View Post
This is what I was trying to describe:
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
That's how I have it set - with the lights running between the doors. Every now and then, you get some nice summer evenings where you need lighting and want the doors open.

One thing I did add, I have a few lights on motion detection...so if I need to walk into the garage in the dark (to get a tool or something) - some lights automatically kick on. No need to flip a switch if I'm just in and out. There's not much more to the cost in adding one or two of these.

Will state, I've been considering the honeycomb for the back part of the garage as I want something more flush. Little pricey for what it is, haven't pushed the purchase button, but was considering. I'd need to paint the ceiling black to make it stand out, just not sure if I want to go through all the work.
I like the idea on motion detection; I did this in one of my warehouses and it was a game changer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Just to chime in, I have 8 4-ft led lights in my 3-car, and it's extremely well lit everywhere. I absolutely love it and recommend erring on the overkill side - led lighting is cheap both up front and for use. I went parallel to the cars with 6 of them (for aesthetics) and then I have 2 perpendicular to those to illumate the deeper section of the 2-car portion of my garage (which you don't have), where I have a work bench and cabinets. Even with the garage doors open blocking essentially 3 of my lights, there is perfect lighting. I don't think I've ever had the doors open at night and been working on the 'dark side' near the garage doors, though. You could probably get away with 6 lights with your foot print if you wanted to.
Is that two rows of three? Three on each side of the middle car of a three car garage?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:28 AM   #32
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I have my 8 ft LED lights mounted high on the walls around the perimeter of my shop.

That and the side mount garage door openers, which have been mentioned previously, are much quieter and unobtrusive.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #33
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:

Is that two rows of three? Three on each side of the middle car of a three car garage?
Three rows of 2, over head and parallel to each car bay. Then a separate row of 2, going in the perpendicular direction in my deeper section.

To make it more clear, here is basically what I would propose in your space. This is with the assumption that at the top of the image, those are working areas - not sure what C/S refers to.

I also like what your builder? suggested and is hardcoded into the schematic, but I would add one additional perpendicular to those for the little enclave at the bottom.

Such a design makes it easier and aesthetically cleaner to daisy chain them if cords will be visible on drywall (which is the case for my setup). I made the look cleaner with something like this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Reborn_; 10-25-2023 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 03:31 PM   #34
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Three rows of 2, over head and parallel to each car bay. Then a separate row of 2, going in the perpendicular direction in my deeper section.

To make it more clear, here is basically what I would propose in your space. This is with the assumption that at the top of the image, those are working areas - not sure what C/S refers to.

I also like what your builder? suggested and is hardcoded into the schematic, but I would add one additional perpendicular to those for the little enclave at the bottom.

Such a design makes it easier and aesthetically cleaner to daisy chain them if cords will be visible on drywall (which is the case for my setup). I made the look cleaner with something like this.
I dig it! This would be much easier with the jackshaft motors that others have mentioned. May be a project for later, but I like the layout.

C/S is for Ceiling Supply (HVAC). That wall separates the garage from a small portion of the interior living space. What you're seeing is a sliver of the interior of the home the garage is attached to.

I daisy-chained in my last garage as I had a single receptacle that I added many LED lights to throughout the space using similar cable management you linked. In this case, the 4' LED lights I have selected will be run in series to a single switch, but have their own respective receptacle.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      10-25-2023, 03:55 PM   #35
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

If you like; Im a Elec Eng who specializes in lighting. I can help if you like. Show you how to tinker around with light levels, etc…Personally I have been specifying the Columbia CSL’s in 8’ for lots of mechanical/electrical spaces..Very bright and switchable lumen tech..

I like the idea of 4 rows of 8 footers running paralleled to cars..

How tall is your ceiling btw?
Appreciate 2
Reborn_298.00
      10-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #36
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
My garage is a 26x24 and I have 8 8' LED twins and 4 4' twins. They were free when I was doing construction.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 02:58 PM   #37
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGSON View Post
If you like; Im a Elec Eng who specializes in lighting. I can help if you like. Show you how to tinker around with light levels, etc…Personally I have been specifying the Columbia CSL’s in 8’ for lots of mechanical/electrical spaces..Very bright and switchable lumen tech..

I like the idea of 4 rows of 8 footers running paralleled to cars..

How tall is your ceiling btw?
Thanks! I totally missed your message somehow. I'll need to double check, but I believe they are 9'.
Appreciate 0