BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-25-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Books vs Movies/Shows

This may be an interesting discussion. I enjoy reading in general, magazines, newspapers, entire manuals other ppl may find dry, in addition to copious amounts of reading when I was in school and working, but somehow sitting down and devouring novels isn't my thing. I just can't do it w any regularity as I keep thinking if the story's good it would make a good movie/show and now for me it's 'wasted'. Ofc one's imagination is greater than those media but I'm visual and love watching stuff. What I mean by 'wasted' is one time I read The DaVinci Code and then the movie...boy, what a major bore cuz obviously I knew exactly what was about to happen. I can't believe many ppl intentionally ran out to read the latest Harry Potter novels *before* the movie came out, they actually want to do that.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This may be an interesting discussion. I enjoy reading in general, magazines, newspapers, entire manuals other ppl may find dry, in addition to copious amounts of reading when I was in school and working, but somehow sitting down and devouring novels isn't my thing. I just can't do it w any regularity as I keep thinking if the story's good it would make a good movie/show and now for me it's 'wasted'. Ofc one's imagination is greater than those media but I'm visual and love watching stuff. What I mean by 'wasted' is one time I read The DaVinci Code and then the movie...boy, what a major bore cuz obviously I knew exactly what was about to happen. I can't believe many ppl intentionally ran out to read the latest Harry Potter novels *before* the movie came out, they actually want to do that.
I guess I am generally the exact opposite. I don't read nearly as much as I used to (though I hope to finish Wikipedia by the end of the week) most the time I find the book is better than the movie. Lord of the rings is one example. Has there ever been a good Huckleberry Finn movie? Rise and fall of the third Reich was never made into a movie, I believe (that's a great one if you like people totally fucking over other people). None of the Honor-verse books have made into a movie yet. Battlefield Earth was a great book, terrible movie.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede17874.00
cmyx6go15573.50
      08-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Novels are an escape, and do exercise your imagination. I can't tell you how disappointing it sometimes is, my imagined image of characters/scenes is SOOO different than those of the movie producers.

Luckily for me, most of the novels I read are of the Sci-Fi genre, and the CGI budget necessary to bring them to life is self-limiting. So I'm content with my vision, as inspired by the words written.

I've tried a bit of writing myself. When I discuss the world I've created with those who have read it, they simply do not match up.
      08-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I guess I am generally the exact opposite. I don't read nearly as much as I used to (though I hope to finish Wikipedia by the end of the week) most the time I find the book is better than the movie. Lord of the rings is one example. Has there ever been a good Huckleberry Finn movie? Rise and fall of the third Reich was never made into a movie, I believe (that's a great one if you like people totally fucking over other people). None of the Honor-verse books have made into a movie yet. Battlefield Earth was a great book, terrible movie.
Saw this one of Huckleberry Finn on TV when I was a kid. I enjoyed it then as a little boy. Have not seen it as an adult.

Not much of a reader, would like to be but I find it to be work. Wish I didn't feel that way. I know people who love to read and I'm extremely jealous.

I did read many Stephen King books (I like horror) and found most of them to be better than their movie counterparts, if it was made into a movie.
      08-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I love to read, and read a lot. In most cases, I’m disappointed when a book goes to screen. A lot gets lost. Books go into so much detail that gets glossed over in the translation to screen. One example is Reacher. In the books, he was a huge, scary looking dude. 6’7”ish. So what does Hollywood do? They cast 5’ nothing Tom Cruise pretty boy.

I don’t think I have ever seen a movie that was a book where the movie was better than the book.
      08-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Loved the TV series Bosch, and now I'm on book 3. Its interesting because I have a preconceived picture of the characters.....same with reading the books by James Patterson, I can only hear Morgan Freemans voice.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15573.50
      08-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Loved the TV series Bosch, and now I'm on book 3. Its interesting because I have a preconceived picture of the characters.....same with reading the books by James Patterson, I can only hear Morgan Freemans voice.
You have to do it the other way. Book first, then movie. Although I think Morgan was a good choice for Alex Cross.
      08-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
You have to do it the other way. Book first, then movie. Although I think Morgan was a good choice for Alex Cross.
Yes, way better than Tyler Perry playing him. He needs to stick to Madea. lol

I liked both "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came A Spider."

I read Idris Elba will be playing Alex Cross next.

Never read any of the books myself.
      08-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Yes, way better than Tyler Perry playing him. He needs to stick to Madea. lol

I liked both "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came A Spider."

I read Idris Elba will be playing Alex Cross next.

Never read any of the books myself.
The early Alex Cross books were great reads. I honestly stopped reading the series. It felt like Patterson was just writing them to write them. The same thing with Lee Child and the Reacher series. The early ones were page turners and I'd blow right though them. I can't tell you how many Cross and Reacher books I've started and not finished over the past few years. And that's not me. I usually stick it out and finish. It's not fun if it's a struggle to get through or bores me. Wait until you have a good story line, damn it!

I can definitely see Idris Elba playing Cross.
      08-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The early Alex Cross books were great reads. I honestly stopped reading the series. It felt like Patterson was just writing them to write them. The same thing with Lee Child and the Reacher series. The early ones were page turners and I'd blow right though them. I can't tell you how many Cross and Reacher books I've started and not finished over the past few years. And that's not me. I usually stick it out and finish. It's not fun if it's a struggle to get through or bores me. Wait until you have a good story line, damn it!

I can definitely see Idris Elba playing Cross.
Yep, I think Idris is a good pick too.
      08-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I also read that Idris Elba was in consideration to be the next Bond. Along with Henry Cavill and Tom Hardy as possibilities, among others.
      08-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #12
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I also read that Idris Elba was in consideration to be the next Bond. Along with Henry Cavill and Tom Hardy as possibilities, among others.
I think Tom Hardy would be interesting.....
      08-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #13
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
I can never understand a word he's saying. I think Tom Hiddleston would be the best person to fill the role
Appreciate 1
Esteban42214.00
      08-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can never understand a word he's saying. I think Tom Hiddleston would be the best person to fill the role
I vote for Idris.

If he can find any time away from the booking.com commercials.

"Booking.com - booking.yeah." lol
      08-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #15
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I vote for Idris.

He would've been great 10 years ago. Seems a bit old now. Same age as Daniel Craig?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I vote for Idris.

He would've been great 10 years ago. Seems a bit old now. Same age as Daniel Craig?
Idris- 49, Daniel Craig - 54.
      08-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Put it this way, if they convinced the world that Daniel Craig was suitable as Bond, they could make anyone fit short of Chris Farley.

Anyway, let's get back on topic, guys.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 03:53 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Put it this way, if they convinced the world that Daniel Craig was suitable as Bond, they could make anyone fit short of Chris Farley.

Anyway, let's get back on topic, guys.
But this is the off topic forum.
      08-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But this is the off topic forum.
Not funny.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 04:00 PM   #20
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
tranquility So I guess I never read your entire original post. I just read the part about The DaVinci code. Other than you being bored watching the movie because you knew what was going to happen, I’m curious what your thought are movie vs book. I think that is a great example of how movies can’t compare to the book. That book and a few of Dan Brown’s others blew me away. The details and story telling get lost on the big screen.
      08-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #21
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

@tranquility, I thought it was funny.

Besides, I made some on topic contributions above, don't you think.

So we're allowed a little fun imo.
      08-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
tranquility So I guess I never read your entire original post. I just read the part about The DaVinci code. Other than you being bored watching the movie because you knew what was going to happen, I’m curious what your thought are movie vs book. I think that is a great example of how movies can’t compare to the book. That book and a few of Dan Brown’s others blew me away. The details and story telling get lost on the big screen.
I think that I mentioned it but for sure shows/movies can't touch one's imagination so books are much better and one really gets immersed into that world. However, I do like a good movie/show too and appreciate things being 'fleshed out' by making thoughts visualized. To me, maybe cuz I just can't get into reading novels, I'd just wait for the show/movie.

In any event, I would only do one or the other, I dunno how ppl would intentionally read the book beforehand and see how it plays out later on, it really killed The DaVinci Code movie for me and I'd never do that again.

Quote:
I thought it was.

Besides, I made some on topic contributions above, don't you think.
No worries, man, you know I'm just kidding around, nothing's srs here haha.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42214.00