BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #111
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Since many seem to be focused on Christianity, the 2nd greatest commandment according to Jesus is, Love your neighbor in the same way you love yourself.

Imagine if this actually happened and was followed by everyone. What kind of utopia would we be living in if everyone followed this to the letter? Do you think society would be worse for it or better from it?

I've lived the last 18 or so years as a follower of Christ. Of course not perfectly and at times, not very well at all. But there is nothing by him quoted in the bible that i can find issue with. It's kind of like traffic laws. If everyone followed every traffic law to the letter, there would be little to no auto collisions. Yet we all chose to break traffic laws daily thus increasing the chances for collision, injury, death, etc... Those are tangible, quantifiable results of human rebellion of rules. How much more frequently do humans rebel when the potentially negative results aren't always tangible or quantifiable? A lot more; we mock religious people by calling them ignorant, uneducated, week minded, sheep, etc... and many go as far as mocking religion itself without ever learning a single thing about it. Nothing more than fearing the unknown and bullying those who are different from oneself.

The OP didn't start this thread proclaiming he was Christian. It wasn't until someone asked him a question about religion & science. Then some of your civilized, progressive people started in on him with more questions and mockery. Which seems to be a green light for more progressives to step in to throw an insult, some backhanded sarcasm or to just use this opportunity to be an ass.

This topic is not all that different than a gun control debate or most any other social issue. The problem isn't guns or religion, it's people. It always has been. It always will be.

While for all intents and purposes this is true, this statement speaks to how religion was manipulated and used by those in power. Not how or why it came about.

Again with people being the problem.
Hmmm, so you agree with these?

“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.” Matthew 18:8

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24

“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]

And regarding your "utopia:"

If everyone were to follow the bible in its most literal sense, then we'd still have religious zealots running around killing each other - as is currently the case in Middle Eastern countries. Furthermore, strict adherence would again, lead to stagnation. Without deviation, there is no progress.

Quote:
How much more frequently do humans rebel when the potentially negative results aren't always tangible or quantifiable?
Honestly not sure where you were going with this. The consequences of rebellion are entirely quantifiable. They are governed by secular legislation. I may have missed your point here.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's beliefs; just suggesting that religion has outlived its functional role in contemporary society. I do, however, understand why some find comfort in their beliefs.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #112
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
As Gandhi said...
My point illustrated. Thank you.

But keep in mind that just because no one made a meme of Gandhi stating that non-christians aren't Christ like doesn't mean he wasn't thinking it. lol
      03-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #113
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post

“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.” Matthew 18:8

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24

“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]

If everyone were to follow the bible in its most literal sense, then we'd still have religious zealots running around killing each other - as is currently the case in Middle Eastern countries. Furthermore, strict adherence would again, lead to stagnation. Without deviation, there is no progress.

Honestly not sure where you were going with this. The consequences of rebellion are entirely quantifiable. They are governed by secular legislation. I may have missed your point here.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's beliefs; just suggesting that religion has outlived its functional role in contemporary society. I do, however, understand why some find comfort in their beliefs.
I understand the portion bolded above, and can agree with you on it, to a certain extent.

However, the scriptures you quoted, you seem to be taking for face value. What kind of explanation exactly are you looking for concerning them? Would it be one to take out of context? If so, taking scripture literally and applying it to a contemporary society is probably the top critique of the bible.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #114
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
I understand the portion bolded above, and can agree with you on it, to a certain extent.

However, the scriptures you quoted, you seem to be taking for face value. What kind of explanation exactly are you looking for concerning them? Would it be one to take out of context? If so, taking scripture literally and applying it to a contemporary society is probably the top critique of the bible.
They were offered at face value. I don't intend to conduct a case study.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #115
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hey, I am defending religion... weird...

Firstly, I think the vast majority Christians are not strict interpretationists. So, this seems like an request for someone to defend the literalist position on these scriptures. I get that makes it easier for you to refute, but let's take a more balanced look...

Quote:
Do away with things that hold you back? If something makes you a worse person, get it out of your life. I dunno... seems like solid advice. I think you may have posted something similar in the "Married guy advice" thread? Or "$50K Rock thread"?

Quote:
Are you advocating SERVING money? I know few who do. Most people strive to get it, but don't serve it as the end in itself. Most have families or legacies or some other objective in mind.

Quote:
This one, I think, is more owing to interpretation... Ancient Hebrew to Modern English is a lot of twists and turns. I suspect the meaning of "rich" has gotten shifted a bit. I also think it talks more about temptation. It is not that a rich person would not be admitted, it is about the connection between wealth (in that day - and today, I imagine) and corruption.

Quote:

Many MANY people who create great advances do so for motivations other than yours - many are religious motivations. I *think* i know what you are saying, but again, you are placing a lot of the weight of your argument on a literalist position and I think have, thereby, indeed missed the point.
      03-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #116
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Too lazy today for multi quotes.... see below in red. Since these are parables my response represents my opinion of the verses you posted.

Quote:

“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.” Matthew 18:8 In other words, if your friend constantly causes you to stumble in your pursuit of Christ, cut that friend out of your life.

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24 You in fact can not serve two masters willingly and whole heartedly. You can only serve one. I find it somewhat funny that so many people have issue with this. It doesn't mean you can't have money or be successful while following Christ. There are plenty of people who DON'T have money who are consumed by it and plenty of people with money who aren't consumed by it.

“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]The spirit behind this is that money tends to corrupt and consume many people with it. It becomes the most important thing in their lives.

I was speaking specifically of the second highest commandment of the bible. No where did i say follow everything written in the bible from cover to cover.

Where i was going with consequences - In short, people don't generally consider the consequences of their actions before acting (or speaking). They don't stop to think about how it may affect others. They may not think about how the lengths they go to in order to justify their opinion may in fact tear people down in the process. They don't realize that the means to justifying their own opinion often time IS tearing others down.
The entire point of my post was illustrated by jTodd. It's people that fuck everything up. Always has been, always will be. Being top tier intelligence on earth, or for most of us, bottom of the top tier intelligence, we tend to blame everything on something else. But it's always people, it's always us.
      03-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #117
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I am defending religion... weird...

Firstly, I think the vast majority Christians are not strict interpretationists. So, this seems like an request for someone to defend the literalist position on these scriptures. I get that makes it easier for you to refute, but let's take a more balanced look...

Do away with things that hold you back? If something makes you a worse person, get it out of your life. I dunno... seems like solid advice. I think you may have posted something similar in the "Married guy advice" thread? Or "$50K Rock thread"?

Are you advocating SERVING money? I know few who do. Most people strive to get it, but don't serve it as the end in itself. Most have families or legacies or some other objective in mind.

This one, I think, is more owing to interpretation... Ancient Hebrew to Modern English is a lot of twists and turns. I suspect the meaning of "rich" has gotten shifted a bit. I also think it talks more about temptation. It is not that a rich person would not be admitted, it is about the connection between wealth (in that day - and today, I imagine) and corruption.

Many MANY people who create great advances do so for motivations other than yours - many are religious motivations. I *think* i know what you are saying, but again, you are placing a lot of the weight of your argument on a literalist position and I think have, thereby, indeed missed the point.
Let's put a pin in this. I'll be back in a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #118
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Too lazy today for multi quotes.... see below in red. Since these are parables my response represents my opinion of the verses you posted.

The entire point of my post was illustrated by jTodd. It's people that fuck everything up. Always has been, always will be. Being top tier intelligence on earth, or for most of us, bottom of the top tier intelligence, we tend to blame everything on something else. But it's always people, it's always us.
Ok - two thoughts off the bat.
First - LOL at the bold truth above!
Second - I think you and I and MKSixer are now Trippelgängers. That is almost exactly what I wrote... HAH!
      03-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #119
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I am now moistened with anticipation.
      03-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #120
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
What the coolest science experiment ever...in your opinion.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #121
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if this is a reference to the movie Bolt or if you just use this phrase often. Either way, i'm happy to have seen someone finally use it.

Edit: may have to look for this thread in the Political forum. Not much tolerance here for religious talk outside of those confines.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 03-18-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #122
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Dammit I can't take three dad's.

EDIT: InB4 black jokes.

Appreciate 3
      03-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #123
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Second - I think you and I and MKSixer are now Trippelgängers. That is almost exactly what I wrote... HAH!
I'd be honored to be a Trippelgänger. I'll wait giddy with anticipation while you confer with MKSixer.
      03-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #124
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Dammit I can't take three dad's.

EDIT: InB4 black jokes.
I suck at racism. Didn't even think of that one. Dammit. Will work harder.
      03-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #125
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
I'd be honored to be a Trippelgänger. I'll wait giddy with anticipation while you confer with MKSixer.
We'll confer. If accepted, he and Axius Attorneys at Law & Stuff will get you a offer drawn up.
      03-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #126
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

If you're here answering questions, who's at home disappointing your parents?

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...ality=80&w=650
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #127
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
If you're here answering questions, who's at home disappointing your parents?

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...ality=80&w=650
Hah! Joke's on you. I am answering these questions FROM my home (parents basement, cuz Internet). So I can do both - serve two masters, if you will.
      03-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #128
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Hah! Joke's on you. I am answering these questions FROM my home (parents basement, cuz Internet). So I can do both - serve two masters, if you will.
Oh shit I laughed really hard at this.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #129
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Alright, so following this logic - a teenage girl who was inadvertently impregnated should have every right to abort the fetus that will most certainly be detrimental to her future. I'm sure the Church would agree.

Quote:
I advocate nothing. The excerpt suggests that one cannot pursue financial prosperity while remaining in the Lord's good graces. If it were suggesting a literal serving of money, wouldn't it be capitalized? After all, you don't serve "god," "allah," or "indra."

Quote:
Is it? A man asked Jesus what was required to ensure a place in Heaven. His response: unload all your wealth; get rid of it. Without shedding his belongings, the man would not be able to squeeze through Heaven's gate.

Quote:
As I previously suggested, religion did hold a historically functional role. I mean, it led to the construction of the pyramids, which were an incredible feat. But, let me reiterate that is losing its functional place within industrialized societies. People are free to believe whatever they would like, that's all well and dandy; I merely suggested that it no longer serves the same purpose that carried humanity up to this point. Indeed, you seem to have missed my point.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #130
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb
Quote:
Alright, so following this logic - a teenage girl who was inadvertently impregnated should have every right to abort the fetus that will most certainly be detrimental to her future. I'm sure the Church would agree.

Quote:
I advocate nothing. The excerpt suggests that one cannot pursue financial prosperity while remaining in the Lord's good graces. If it were suggesting a literal serving of money, wouldn't it be capitalized? After all, you don't serve "god," "allah," or "indra."

Quote:
Is it? A man asked Jesus what was required to ensure a place in Heaven. His response: unload all your wealth; get rid of it. Without shedding his belongings, the man would not be able to squeeze through Heaven's gate.

Quote:
As I previously suggested, religion did hold a historically functional role. I mean, it led to the construction of the pyramids, which were an incredible feat. But, let me reiterate that is losing its functional place within industrialized societies. People are free to believe whatever they would like, that's all well and dandy; I merely suggested that it no longer serves the same purpose that carried humanity up to this point. Indeed, you seem to have missed my point.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I do understand your position and it sounds as though you understand mine too. We can agree to disagree (aka agree to let you continue being wrong). Haha. I kid. Our positions are not really that far apart. If you are wrong, we can chill together in hell.
      03-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #131
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
If you are wrong, we can chill together in hell.
Omg (no pun) I am in tears!

Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #132
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I do understand your position and it sounds as though you understand mine too. We can agree to disagree (aka agree to let you continue being wrong). Haha. I kid. Our positions are not really that far apart. If you are wrong, we can chill together in hell.
I would be honored
Appreciate 1