BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #89
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
If you're considering the vw I'd look more closely at the GTI unless you really want/need awd. It's cheaper, more economical to run and more enjoyable to drive in most situations. The awd saps some of the enjoyment from the chassis. A mk7 with performance pack would be my choice from that group, but then again I daily my z4m coupe....118k and counting
thanks for the advice.
At some point, GTI was my dream car. I loved everything: the "clark plaid" seats, red line on front grille, etc.
If I were to buy it, i'd get it with performance package.
But I noticed that no one buys PP on the base model, meaning that it would be kind of "lost money" on the resale, as only higher end buyers would appreciate that option. It's still a lot less than any depreciation on R or M235i, though.

I then drove the GTI and the R back to back and just felt in love with the R.
Both manuals.
GTI is pretty darn good, but I liked the R better.
It rains quite a bit here where I live and it was raining during my test drive. The torque to the back definitely prevented some wheel spin while in the GTI it did not.

All in all, if I were in los angeles or something, I might have just went for the GTI, clark plaid and PP in a factory order, but wouldn't work here in the northwest. For that same reason, I might just get the R over the M235i... I'm still debating on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #90
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
There's quite a few golf Rs near me, I live in a town centre and on a Friday/Saturday night I see all of them driving like idiots every weekend without fail.
Infact any time of day I don't think I've ever seen one being driven sensibly. They are definitely the "in" car for the boy racer who can afford something more than a corsa.

Personally given the choice I would go for the S3 sedan. Or stick to looking for a BMW.
If your looking for a golf sized car, what's wrong with the 135? Not a car you see often
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #91
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

I got one, I like it. Nice daily
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #92
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
If you're considering the vw I'd look more closely at the GTI unless you really want/need awd. It's cheaper, more economical to run and more enjoyable to drive in most situations. The awd saps some of the enjoyment from the chassis. A mk7 with performance pack would be my choice from that group, but then again I daily my z4m coupe....118k and counting
I have a '16 GTI w/ Perf Pkg, and though it is an awesome little car, I like the R better, and feel like it's more enjoyable to drive. Though it will be a year or 2 out, I plan on replacing my GTI w/ an R.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #93
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
There's quite a few golf Rs near me, I live in a town centre and on a Friday/Saturday night I see all of them driving like idiots every weekend without fail.
Infact any time of day I don't think I've ever seen one being driven sensibly. They are definitely the "in" car for the boy racer who can afford something more than a corsa.

Personally given the choice I would go for the S3 sedan. Or stick to looking for a BMW.
If your looking for a golf sized car, what's wrong with the 135? Not a car you see often
I don't see R owners downshifting and weaving in and out of traffic trying to show off compared to F8X owners...

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #94
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I have a '16 GTI w/ Perf Pkg, and though it is an awesome little car, I like the R better, and feel like it's more enjoyable to drive. Though it will be a year or 2 out, I plan on replacing my GTI w/ an R.
It's cool you know your next move. I enjoyed the mk6 r more than the mk7 r, more eager to rotate the rear. But for daily I enjoy the GTI more for it's lower weight which makes it feel more responsive and again more tail happy when trail braking. They are stellar cars for what they are in any case
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #95
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
It's cool you know your next move. I enjoyed the mk6 r more than the mk7 r, more eager to rotate the rear. But for daily I enjoy the GTI more for it's lower weight which makes it feel more responsive and again more tail happy when trail braking. They are stellar cars for what they are in any case
I thought the 6 R felt like it could use more power. I agree in that it feels more 'chuckable', but I like the overall character of the 7 better.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #96
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I took a 6R for a spin and thought it felt VERY quick and handled marvelously out of the box. If the 7R improves on that, I think it's a real winner.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #97
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Just drove a new '16 this weekend visiting my sister. She picked it up on Friday. I have to say it's very nice. The cargo area behind the rear seats is a little tight but I could easily drive this back and forth to work and running around town. I honestly don't think the interior feels downmarket at all to my E90. Overall, very impressive.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #98
beats
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

I was at the track (Mosport) on the weekend with two Golf R's. In the dry, they were quick, but middle of the pack. On the second day it rained, and one of them went out, and was without a doubt the fastest guy out there (most were rear wheel drive though, and this guy had big cahones). I couldn't believe how well this car handled in the wet. Amazing car...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #99
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Thinking about picking the Golf R as a daily... waiting for the 2017 to come out early next year.

If I place a factory order, do I get out of paying markup? VW dealers around me are charging MRSP + $3k for what is on their lot.

I suppose the 335is will be my client car even though the last client I picked up said "oh you drive this?! my son drives a sports car too!"

So much for trying to look older than I am...

2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #100
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Thinking about picking the Golf R as a daily... waiting for the 2017 to come out early next year.

If I place a factory order, do I get out of paying markup? VW dealers around me are charging MRSP + $3k for what is on their lot.

I suppose the 335is will be my client car even though the last client I picked up said "oh you drive this?! my son drives a sports car too!"

So much for trying to look older than I am...

Tons of dealers are selling these for MSRP, do NOT pay a mark up on it. Also the 2017 has no changes from 2016 so if you can find one laying on a lot that fits your needs I say pick it up.
      06-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #101
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
I was at the track (Mosport) on the weekend with two Golf R's. In the dry, they were quick, but middle of the pack. On the second day it rained, and one of them went out, and was without a doubt the fastest guy out there (most were rear wheel drive though, and this guy had big cahones). I couldn't believe how well this car handled in the wet. Amazing car...
I used to drive a 2nd gen audi tts (essentially a mk6 golf r) quite a bit on track in the past and have had a blast running in the wet. I enjoyed it more in the wet than the dry since it was easier to skirt the edge of the stability management which is not fully defeated when turned off. I think I have some video of a few wet laps at Roebling in it running on pilot sport cups.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #102
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I used to drive a 2nd gen audi tts (essentially a mk6 golf r) quite a bit on track in the past and have had a blast running in the wet. I enjoyed it more in the wet than the dry since it was easier to skirt the edge of the stability management which is not fully defeated when turned off. I think I have some video of a few wet laps at Roebling in it running on pilot sport cups.
Thankfully with the mk7 R they made it so you can fully turn off stability control unlike the mk6 R. Also on the mk6 R/tts/etc you could do some vagcom coding to fully defeat stability control.
      06-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #103
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
buddy of mine picked one up 2 weeks ago. I drove his and thought it was fantastic. He has a 6 speed white, and I got the DSG Lapiz Blue. No regrets. Got rid of the F80 and I don't regret it.

As far as showing off to coworkers or anything, my boss drives a beat up 90's Corolla when I'd roll in in either my M3 or '16 MX-5. If you have mutual respect like I do with my boss, it shouldn't matter what you drive, but I understand it's not the same in all fields. The stigma is interpreted in so many ways.

Anyways, I love the R and it's subtle, doesn't scream boy racer, and has plenty of power and agility for everyday use. And yes, I couldn't do the RS either, it screams cheap inside...

Did you get rid of the F80 M3 for the Golf R?

You dont regret it?

How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking? If that is the case I should just trade the 335is in
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #104
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I get shit at work all the time for owning 3 bmws. People are just jealous. Ignore them.
Exactly. Who the fuck cares what others think. Get what you want, live your life.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #105
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

For anyone leasing these cars, can you share around how much a month youre paying?? Im really interested in leasing one as a DD..
      06-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #106
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

A dealer near me has a $5,000 "market adjustment" on top of MSRP. The ticket actually says that. I also heard the R doesn't lease well.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #107
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
A dealer near me has a $5,000 "market adjustment" on top of MSRP. The ticket actually says that. I also heard the R doesn't lease well.
What area? I know of a few dealers in the Mid Atlantic selling them for $500 under MSRP right now
      06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #108
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

VW OpenRoad, Bridgewater NJ
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #109
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Did you get rid of the F80 M3 for the Golf R?

You dont regret it?

How did you come to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking? If that is the case I should just trade the 335is in
Yes, got rid of the F80 to get the R. Don't regret it.

Get get me wrong, I think the F80 is a gorgeous car and has plenty of power and handles well, but at the end of the day it had no soul and when you mash your foot down, you're at 80 in a blink of an eye. It was just a bit bland for me.

The R isn't perfect, but it's interesting with the haldex AWD system and it's quick and nimble when you need it to be.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #110
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
Yes, got rid of the F80 to get the R. Don't regret it.

Get get me wrong, I think the F80 is a gorgeous car and has plenty of power and handles well, but at the end of the day it had no soul and when you mash your foot down, you're at 80 in a blink of an eye. It was just a bit bland for me.

The R isn't perfect, but it's interesting with the haldex AWD system and it's quick and nimble when you need it to be.
Did you tune the R?

What don't you like about it?

Thanks for your input!!
Appreciate 0