BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Today, 01:11 PM   #9285
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
If you think EV is a kind of fun car to have. Think twice before jumping into the rabbit hole
Why the eff would anyone buy an EV as a track car? They're commuter cars. They thrive in stop and go traffic. Odd video.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:18 PM   #9286
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Why the eff would anyone buy an EV as a track car? They're commuter cars. They thrive in stop and go traffic. Odd video.
Ask those EV owners who keep telling you their EVs can go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and beat the ICE any day and night
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66673.50
kyriian944.50
      Today, 01:28 PM   #9287
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
So you have to be in the know, own a GT3 and even then have hassle trying to work the Porsche fast charger
It all come down to... Everyone need to get their shxx together. Are we there yet? I don't think I will see it in my life.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 01:33 PM   #9288
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Ask those EV owners who keep telling you their EVs can go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and beat the ICE any day and night
It is good for the track, just may not be for the whole track

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1976.00
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 01:40 PM   #9289
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
It is good for the track, just may not be for the whole track
Haha, I still prefer ICE over EV any day. The sound, the smoke....

Appreciate 1
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 03:16 PM   #9290
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Because THAT makes it fun everyday. You’re driving on the highway and stuck in a hoard of idiots… you spot an opening and you are the fuck out of there FASSSSST.

Instant ridiculous torque is arguably the ONLY thing that matters in normal everyday driving. Has absolutely nothing to do with the track.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2398.50
      Today, 03:36 PM   #9291
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You’re driving on the highway and stuck in a hoard of idiots… you spot an opening and you are the fuck out of there FASSSSST.
What you are describing is a douchebag who zips in and out of clusters of traffic just to get ahead by a few cars.

Haven't you read that driving faster doesn't REALLY get you some place faster, but I guess that 3 minute you save getting to your office faster is great for plugging your car in.

What part of this movement you described, spotting an opening in traffic to get the fk out is EV specific? I could do the same thing in a 1999 Honda Civic (maybe I need to drop a few cogs, or get out of overdrive for an automatic). You maybe able to slip out a move faster than someone in a ICE car can close the door on you, but aside from that fact, what part exactly is this EV specific.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1976.00
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 04:02 PM   #9292
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What you are describing is a douchebag who zips in and out of clusters of traffic just to get ahead by a few cars.

Haven't you read that driving faster doesn't REALLY get you some place faster, but I guess that 3 minute you save getting to your office faster is great for plugging your car in.

What part of this movement you described, spotting an opening in traffic to get the fk out is EV specific? I could do the same thing in a 1999 Honda Civic (maybe I need to drop a few cogs, or get out of overdrive for an automatic). You maybe able to slip out a move faster than someone in a ICE car can close the door on you, but aside from that fact, what part exactly is this EV specific.
Very well said. I am speechless. They have all the time in life to wait for the cars to charge up but they can't spare 2 mins extra on the roads....This is call logic. I think I learn something new everyday.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 04:27 PM   #9293
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:

Having driven 500 miles on 15 separate days throughout 2024, I have to disagree. The left lane is periodically clogged with individuals exercising their 1st Amendment right of freedom of expression by going slow and not looking in their mirrors or simply not caring about those lined up behind them if they do look. A fast car definitely helps getting out and around traffic. I see slow cars like a 1999 Honda Civic try and they just don’t have the power and end up getting in the way of someone else who does.

And as for the claim that driving faster will save only 3 minutes, that is probably true on a short trip. On a longer trip, it is not true. I am not great at math, but it seems to me that if I am going 60 mph, I can cover 60 miles in an hour. At 75 mph, it will take only 48 minutes to go 60 miles. On a 500 mile trip, I could save about 1.5 hours. And sometimes I have, though other times there is simply too much traffic or it is impossible to safely get through it.

I don’t have an EV car but have driven a few and the performance oriented ones really do scoot in a passing situation. Maybe the cheaper EVs are no faster than their ICE counterparts but they may still be quicker in that brief 60-80 mph squirt due to the instant torque — no need to downshift or build rpm to access power. I still like my ICE F90 M5 and it has good passing power so I won’t be going EV now but maybe in a few years.

Last edited by pbonsalb; Today at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:34 PM   #9294
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Having driven 500 miles on 15 separate days throughout 2024, I have to disagree. The left lane is periodically clogged with individuals exercising their 1st Amendment right of freedom of expression by going slow and not looking in their mirrors or simply not caring about those lined up behind them if they do look. A fast car definitely helps getting out and around traffic. I see slow cars line a 1999 Honda Civic try and they just don’t have the power and end up getting in the way of someone else who does.

And as for the claim that driving faster will save only 3 minutes, that is probably true on a short trip. On a longer trip, it is not true. I am not great at math, but it seems to me that if I am going 60 mph, I can cover 60 miles in an hour. At 75 mph, it will take only 48 minutes to go 60 miles. On a 500 mile trip, I could save about 1.5 hours. And sometimes I have, though other times there is simply too much traffic or it is impossible to safely get through it.

I don’t have an EV car but have driven a few and the performance oriented ones really do scoot in a passing situation. Maybe the cheaper EVs are no faster than their ICE counterparts but they may still be quicker in that brief 60-80 mph squirt due to the instant torque — no need to downshift or build rpm to access power. I still like my ICE F90 M5 and it has good passing power so I won’t be going EV now but maybe in a few years.
I can fix this argument about EV superiority in 60 - 80 passing. Great and all until mile 280 comes up and the EV has to exit said superhighway to find a not so fast supercharger and take 30 minutes to recharge...
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1976.00
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 04:38 PM   #9295
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I can fix this argument about EV superiority in 60 - 80 passing. Great and all until mile 280 comes up and the EV has to exit said superhighway to find a not so fast supercharger and take 30 minutes to recharge...
You know you are crushing some people ego so bad......

Last edited by eugenebmw; Today at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66673.50
      Today, 05:36 PM   #9296
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

You make your own judgement. At least Tesla add more air bags into this performance model However I will never drive my car on the same track with this Tesla

Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:38 PM   #9297
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

You are either being purposely obtuse and you know exactly what I’m talking about and you know I’m right, but you can’t admit it because EVs bad. Or you’re the guy doing 50mph in the left lane next to a semi on a 2 lane hwy to make sure no one can get by because this is YOUR road and you will determine how fast anyone can go.

My guess is the latter.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:55 PM   #9298
Dégoûté
Fun police
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Nobody road trips in an EV.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:15 PM   #9299
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Unlike you, I do not believe all EV drivers are idiots who have no idea how much range is left in their batteries. The drivers I encounter on the road who I think are poor drivers are usually driving ICE vehicles. Maybe that is simply the law of averages or maybe EV drivers are more attentive drivers.
Appreciate 0