BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-29-2024, 08:11 PM   #9087
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
This is false and has been proven many times over. EV's are better for the environment from start to finish, from mining the materials to recycling. Even with a so-so electricity source.

Not sure I agree with this. In some respects, yes. In others no. Many of the old existing cars on the road have very little in emissions controls, and even if they did have it to begin with, they often stop working with zero other symptoms other than what comes out of the tailpipe.

Yes and no. Electricity companies "buy" power from various sources to support their customers. My electricity supplier pays for 97% sustainable energy (mostly hydro) with the remainder coming to help support the peak loads that the sustainable sources can't handle. So while yes, the grid is the grid, my money is going to support sustainable sources, helping them grow rather than increasing demand on coal plants...

I agree on Hybrids. They hit a sweet spot. They're pretty good, they help stretch resources, and they keep things within the comfort level of most people.
But hydro is no friend to the environment says numerous animal protection groups. I don't care, and I'm not offering to debate it, I'm just pointing it out. Somewhere someone finds fault with something, is my point.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-29-2024, 08:12 PM   #9088
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But hydro is no friend to the environment says numerous animal protection groups. I don't care, and I'm not offering to debate it, I'm just pointing it out. Somewhere someone finds fault with something, is my point.
Yeah I don't care either. They talk about tearing down dams here in WA state and I think they're all lunatics.

Although I'd rather just see more nuclear plants and then they can do whatever they want with the dams.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18671.50
      08-29-2024, 08:15 PM   #9089
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Ramcharger with its ra.ge extended EV setup is going to be this. It's going to be a real paradigm breaker, assuming Ram actually brings it to market, and doesn't price it out of contention.

The other real issue with EV adoption, at some point, a vehicle costs so much that I don't care about the fuel economy savings. Ramcharger is going to be a great example. If a fully loaded Ramcharger is like 100k, even if it matches the performance of a 90k turbo6 truck, I don't care about the potential ROI because it's a 100k truck. I'm not gonna pay 100k to beta test something that has a competitive alternative. Frankly, even with price parity, I'm likely not going to buy the beta test product, because I have more money than time, and so the risk of having to deal with new product issues is of more importance to me than maybe saving money on "fuel".

If i'm looking at cars in the 30k range, then saving money on fuel is gonna matter a lot more to me, because that fuel cost is a larger portion of my income most likely. If you're buying a 100k car, fuel costs shouldn't be factoring into your budget.
My vision is not a range extender architecture, but rather an EV that has on board electricity generation instead of a giant plug-in-the-wall battery. It has a small battery for surge energy requirements.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-29-2024, 08:16 PM   #9090
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I don't care either. They talk about tearing down dams here in WA state and I think they're all lunatics.

Although I'd rather just see more nuclear plants and then they can do whatever they want with the dams.
We are mostly on the same page.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 10:21 AM   #9091
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
As I mentioned in the original post, I have never heard an industry representative or a political representative even mention this issue in passing. It appears to be totally ignored.
I'm guessing it's the same reason politicians talk in circles when they don't like a question. If you are pro mandates then the answer to the question doesn't help your cause so you can't answer it.

I say it's a political question because if mandates were not a thing it's a none issue. Can't charge at home? Don't buy an EV. Have a family of 4 to lug around? Don't buy a miata.

Now if you have the ability to charge at home, which I fortunately do, I think they can be great vehicles and better than ICE in many ways (at least Tesla which is all I have experience with).
Appreciate 2
gblansten2385.00
      08-30-2024, 11:09 AM   #9092
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

How many expensive lessons ppl need to learn before they know they are stupid Worse, they are burning our tax money. Menlo Park Police Department’s Tesla patrol vehicle pilot finds that Teslas don’t appear to be ‘patrol cars of the future’

https://www.almanacnews.com/police/2...of-the-future/

Last edited by eugenebmw; 08-30-2024 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
Efthreeoh18671.50
      08-30-2024, 12:27 PM   #9093
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I don’t agree with you that my question is political, but I won’t worry about that. I asked the question as a pragmatic issue and you answered that. I appreciate your answer, because you are literally the only person who has ever answered the question. Of course, I guess I have to say I appreciate your answer at least partly because I agree with it. With the EV technology we have today (mainly the battery technology) there is no practical way to charge cars that must be parked on the street and even though infrastructure wise it may be possible to fill parking garages with charging stations, fiscally the cost would be so enormous it borders on being impractical.

So for a very large percentage of car owners in our big cities the technology will have to improve dramatically. I would say more than improve. It will have to change. Batteries will have to be able to be charged within a matter of minutes, much like now with filling a tank with gas, and there will have to be chargers capable of delivering such a charge.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have never heard an industry representative or a political representative even mention this issue in passing. It appears to be totally ignored.
It's ignored because there is not a good answer to the problem. In general, people are not of the mindset to pay more for less service or less convenience.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66389.00
      08-30-2024, 12:37 PM   #9094
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
My vision is not a range extender architecture, but rather an EV that has on board electricity generation instead of a giant plug-in-the-wall battery. It has a small battery for surge energy requirements.
Ok... But where does the power for the electricity generation come from? The only real option right now is burning hydrocarbons. If we had more nuke plants you could arguably by a hydrogen powder fuel for fuel cells, but reity is, you're burning fuel.

That said, I think a more substantial battery pack makes sense. Something that allows for 30iles of range or so. Then you're gonna have a high percentage of people able to plug in and charge and not need to generate their own electricity onboard. But for that to really matter a whole lot you have to have clean (nuclear) power generation.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 12:44 PM   #9095
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

https://www.motor1.com/news/731650/h...ion-confirmed/

GL finding hydrogen to fill up with... And yes, it has to be produced, stored, handled, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 12:47 PM   #9096
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
First, changing someone's mind is not the point of debates like this, imo. Very view people are changing their mind, they're just here looking for their daily confirmation bias.

Unfortunately the bulk of the "conversations" in this thread are anti-ev clickbait that centers on fires and a lack of chargers. I tried to join in this thread a few times to discuss reasonable topics like what you posted above, but instead just get constantly bombarded with bullshit clickbait and half facts. It's really just not worth the stress.

Nobody has the time to have in-depth conversations like this on a forum, so yes, it just ends up being a circle jerk for the majority of posters.
Facts and counter arguments are now anti ev clickbait.
Goodness these people do not live in reality at all.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18671.50
M5Rick66389.00
      08-30-2024, 12:58 PM   #9097
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post

GL finding hydrogen to fill up with... And yes, it has to be produced, stored, handled, etc.
So does gasoline.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh18671.50
M5Rick66389.00
      08-30-2024, 02:01 PM   #9098
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
So does gasoline.
Yeah, but you can park a gasoline car in a garage.
      08-30-2024, 02:21 PM   #9099
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post

Pretty sure the 100 people globally that buy these and put them in collections aren't gonna be too worried about it.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18671.50
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-30-2024, 02:46 PM   #9100
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Where did my post go?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 07:34 AM   #9101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok... But where does the power for the electricity generation come from? The only real option right now is burning hydrocarbons. If we had more nuke plants you could arguably by a hydrogen powder fuel for fuel cells, but reity is, you're burning fuel.

That said, I think a more substantial battery pack makes sense. Something that allows for 30iles of range or so. Then you're gonna have a high percentage of people able to plug in and charge and not need to generate their own electricity onboard. But for that to really matter a whole lot you have to have clean (nuclear) power generation.
Gasoline, diesel, gasified coal, Efuels (for the carbon-neutral folks), bio diesel, ethanol, to name a few. The Gen1 Volt had a 16kWh battery and had a 38-mile range (most owners got in the 45 range) and the Gen2 had a 18kWh with 53-miles range, so the hybrid you are thinking of was in production over 14 years ago.

But my design is not a plug-in. Hit the start button and drive away, refuel in a few minutes to replenish the 6 gallons of gas needed to drive 400+ miles.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-31-2024, 07:35 AM   #9102
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Where did my post go?
Same place a lot of mine went.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-31-2024, 07:36 AM   #9103
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yeah, but you can park a gasoline car in a garage.
But the H2 boils off no matter what.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-31-2024, 10:38 AM   #9104
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But the H2 boils off no matter what.
Sure, but in an enclosed space its an extreme explosion hazard (because it has to gas off). This is why hydrogen vehicles cannot be parked in a garage. Hydrogen is crazy impractical for small scale/autos.
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-31-2024, 10:43 AM   #9105
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but in an enclosed space its an extreme explosion hazard (because it has to gas off). This is why hydrogen vehicles cannot be parked in a garage. Hydrogen is crazy impractical for small scale/autos.
Agree. I was discussing more of the impracticality of H2 as a fuel because it doesn't store very well. I guess one could install a liquid nitrogen tank and set up a cryogenic cooling system to keep the H2 cold so it wouldn't boil off so easily. But then that's getting a bit complicated...
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66389.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-31-2024, 06:07 PM   #9106
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gasoline, diesel, gasified coal, Efuels (for the carbon-neutral folks), bio diesel, ethanol, to name a few. The Gen1 Volt had a 16kWh battery and had a 38-mile range (most owners got in the 45 range) and the Gen2 had a 18kWh with 53-miles range, so the hybrid you are thinking of was in production over 14 years ago.

But my design is not a plug-in. Hit the start button and drive away, refuel in a few minutes to replenish the 6 gallons of gas needed to drive 400+ miles.
There is no reason to not have a plug in though. If you never use it no big deal. If you do, cool that's less gasoline burned.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 06:14 PM   #9107
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Only if you're a total googan and try to use compressed hydrogen like it's gasoline.

Hydrogen can be "packaged" into powders for use. They did it for fuel cells like over a decade ago, and theres a more industrial scale version now that can be used to transport/ship it.

You could store it as dihydrogen monoxide and split it out, but that substance kills a lot of people every year.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 08:54 PM   #9108
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Only if you're a total googan and try to use compressed hydrogen like it's gasoline.

Hydrogen can be "packaged" into powders for use. They did it for fuel cells like over a decade ago, and theres a more industrial scale version now that can be used to transport/ship it.

You could store it as dihydrogen monoxide and split it out, but that substance kills a lot of people every year.
Well that's the thing, your useful hydrogen density for a fuel cell is still thousands of PSI and even better, they still require a supplemental hybrid drive (battery) because fuel cells don't do well with accelerations. So you are going to burn to death and blow up.