BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-15-2024, 09:59 AM   #8955
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
We've been at this for a while. There isn't likely much we haven't discussed in this thread.
Can't just say it has been discussed already and sweep it under the carpet as if it's been and done, it's happening and needs to be discussed further.
Properties and other vehicles are catching fire on a regular basis from EV fires and just admit that an EV fire is far more powerful and very difficult to extinguish than that of a gas car should it alight for some reason ie a crash. It's not possible to extinguish an eV fire with a portable extinguisher where with a gas car it can be put out if quick action is taken.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-15-2024, 10:12 AM   #8956
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
We've been at this for a while. There isn't likely much we haven't discussed in this thread.
True, but that article validates it.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 10:15 AM   #8957
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

Quote:
No, and I am certainly not reading 3 years of people talking past each other. Hyper focusing on individual items at the expense of the big picture.

I am interested only in the potential for advancement and breakthroughs. What has occurred in the past 10 years is phenomenal. Now that there is so much emphasis on batteries and more, I expect even more progress. Everything from engine efficiencies to regenerative braking to improved systems management. The whole enchilada.

It certainly isn't science-based to focus on problems and not solutions. Do detractors think this is going away? Do they think no one else knows of the issues regarding current LI batteries? It has been very well publicized. Do they believe that no further advancement will ever occur?

The researchers, automakers, NASA, battery makers, etc are well aware what the problems are. And that is all that matters.

Last edited by DrVenture; 08-15-2024 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 10:30 AM   #8958
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
So,what are you recommending?
Pure series-hybrid. I've posted about it numerous times.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 10:40 AM   #8959
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My takeaway is that for some reason you have been obsessing over this for three years. Which seems personal. And it still isn't going to change a thing. Because it is not the only aspect of this that is relevant, no matter how much you choose to emphasize it. And for the record, I haven't disagreed with any of the data regarding LI batteries, though you appear to be suggesting that I am.

My point has always been that the problems will be addressed and solved or mitigated. And new ones will come up. and so on.
I'm not obsessed about EV. My engineering background let's me fully embrace the efficiency of the electric drivetrain, from current-to-the-motor-to-power-at-the-tire contact patch. Drawing the current from a giant battery is stupid. Using battery chemistry that generates its own oxygen to induce fire and cause thermal runaway makes it even more stupid. Build an on-board electrical generation unit to provide the current, then I'm EV all the way.

Develop that architecture under natural market forces, then my obsession over the societial/economic impacts of forced BEV adoption goes away. Can't delve into that subject any further because [NO POLITICS], but you know the drill.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66289.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-15-2024, 10:49 AM   #8960
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, and I am certainly not reading 3 years of people talking past each other. Hyper focusing on individual items at the expense of the big picture.

I am interested only in the potential for advancement and breakthroughs. What has occurred in the past 10 years is phenomenal. Now that there is so much emphasis on batteries and more, I expect even more progress. Everything from engine efficiencies to regenerative braking to improved systems management. The whole enchilada.

It certainly isn't science-based to focus on problems and not solutions. Do detractors think this is going away? Do they think no one else knows of the issues regarding current LI batteries? It has been very well publicized. Do they that no further advancement will ever occur?

The researchers, automakers, NASA, battery makers, etc are well aware what the problems are. And that is all that matters.
I don't see the last 10 years a phenomenal. It's just really big-ass batteries charged at 800V, with some better thermal management. And a little bit gain in motor efficiency, but with great progress on manufacturing cost reduction (other than batteries). Better batteries may be on the horizon, but are they affordable and cost competitive with ICE? That is where I see the problem.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1954.00
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 10:55 AM   #8961
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Pure series-hybrid. I've posted about it numerous times.
Will they use LI batteries?

I see a future with EV, hybrid, ICE and possibly others. In terms of complexity, hybrids are no panacea. An EV is far less complex and for those who can plug in at home, a much better choice. New battery tech will make them even more attractive, as it continues to evolve.

I doubt there will ever be a single solution for all potential uses. Not in our lifetimes anyhow. EV development will continue. So will hybrid development.

If the base case for a hybrid is better mileage, with more complexity and all that entails, I remain uninterested. I don't need the added initial cost and complexity to save a few bucks on gas. The folks who charge at home do not either. No doubt they are best for some.

Don't current hybrids combine the dangers of both battery and fuel fires? I got the impression that seems to be a big issue for you.

Last edited by DrVenture; 08-15-2024 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 11:20 AM   #8962
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will they use LI batteries?

I see a future with EV, hybrid, ICE and possibly others. In terms of complexity, hybrids are no panacea. An EV is far less complex and for those who can plug in at home, a much better choice. New battery tech will make them even more attractive, as it continues to evolve.

I doubt there will ever be a single solution for all potential uses. Not in our lifetimes anyhow. EV development will continue. So will hybrid development.

If the base case for a hybrid is better mileage, with more complexity and all that entails, I remain uninterested. I don't need the added initial cost and complexity to save a few bucks on gas. The folks who charge at home do not either. No doubt they are best for some.

Don't current hybrids combine the dangers of both battery and fuel fires? I got the impression that seems to be a big issue for you.
Pure series hybrid is less complex as compared to current parallel hybrids because there is no mechanical connection between the engine and the drive wheels. Pure series uses a much smaller battery, around 20kWh (vs. 90kWh in a 300-mile EV). 20kWh battery can be made using a safer chemical mix, or solid state. Because it's not 90kWh, it can be smaller but more expensive per hWh yet still affordable to use in a pure series platform. If an ICE is used to generate the electricity it can be made of different, heat-tolerant materials for more efficient combustion (less heat loss). Because it's not directly driving the wheels it is isolated from driveline shock, so it can be lighter weight and tuned to it max power efficiency in a narrow RPM band. It's simpler because there is no transmission.

You see a mix of different fuel-type architectures, all well and good, but [NO POLITICS] are keyed only to BEV. That's the problem. No diversity of (engineering) thought.

I really don't care about the fire issue, statistically it's nill. In my 1.4M miles of driving I've seen just one (1) on fire. It was a BMW E90 and probably the CCV heater valve caused it (LOL). I've seen numerous accidents but all did not result in a fire. I do think a battery with a built-in oxidizer is stupid, but I've already said I think batteries powering electric cars is stupid.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-15-2024 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 12:04 PM   #8963
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not obsessed about EV. My engineering background let's me fully embrace the efficiency of the electric drivetrain, from current-to-the-motor-to-power-at-the-tire contact patch. Drawing the current from a giant battery is stupid. Using battery chemistry that generates its own oxygen to induce fire and cause thermal runaway makes it even more stupid. Build an on-board electrical generation unit to provide the current, then I'm EV all the way.

Develop that architecture under natural market forces, then my obsession over the societial/economic impacts of forced BEV adoption goes away. Can't delve into that subject any further because [NO POLITICS], but you know the drill.
I am not at all interested in the political angle. I am pretty certain that people of all political beliefs own EVs. I have noticed that those who are adamantly against them are less diverse. I would also submit that economics is only political to those who choose to make it so. Like the saying, give a small child a hammer and the whole world is a nail.

I encourage you, or anyone to do what Elon Musk did, disrupt. Build a company to produce a vehicle that drives with on-board power generation. Be forewarned however that every single automaker in the world, has been exploring this approach and came to the conclusion that they needed to go the present route. Maybe someone can figure out an angle that they cannot. It was, after all, Elon that forced automakers to jump on this, so as not to be left behind. Tesla existed before there were EV incentives and will presumably exist when they are gone. If it were up to me there would be no EV incentives.

Meanwhile we live in a Democracy, if that isn't too political to assert. And in a democracy, a majority rules. As the saying goes, democracy is the worst form of government...except all the rest.

Last edited by DrVenture; 08-15-2024 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #8964
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pure series hybrid is less complex as compared to current parallel hybrids because there is no mechanical connection between the engine and the drive wheels. Pure series uses a much smaller battery, around 20kWh (vs. 90kWh in a 300-mile EV). 20kWh battery can be made using a safer chemical mix, or solid state. Because it's not 90kWh, it can be smaller but more expensive per hWh yet still affordable to use in a pure series platform. If an ICE is used to generate the electricity it can be made of different, heat-tolerant materials for more efficient combustion (less heat loss). Because it's not directly driving the wheels it is isolated from driveline shock, so it can be lighter weight and tuned to it max power efficiency in a narrow RPM band. It's simpler because there is no transmission.

You see a mix of different fuel-type architectures, all well and good, but [NO POLITICS] are keyed only to BEV. That's the problem. No diversity of (engineering) thought.

I really don't care about the fire issue, statistically it's nill. In my 1.4M miles of driving I've seen just one (1) on fire. It was a BMW E90 and probably the CCV heater valve caused it (LOL). I've seen numerous accidents but all did not result in a fire. I do think a battery with a built-in oxidizer is stupid, but I've already said I think batteries powering electric cars is stupid.
Toyota is doing just that, using expensive solid state on a smaller scale to start. Eventually it will translate to larger scale, then become even cheaper. It is what is already happening. It is also important to note that hybrid sales are rising as EV sales slip. The market is doing its thing. automakers are responding. In absolute terms, any hybrid is substantially more complex than an EV. Any ICE is substantially more complex. If there is a significant breakthrough in battery tech, hybrids may be hard to justify. Or at least drop in market share.

Now that we agree that the whole fire thing is a bit overstated, it can be put to rest. And it didn't even take us three years to get here.

Diversity of engineering requires funding. I've posted only a fraction of what is going on in the transportation engineering ecosystem. The automakers, including Tesla, are not going to take any real chances that destroy shareholder value. Imagine they did and no one would step up to buy at the true price point. Shareholders are screwed, engineers are fired, management is tossed and bankruptcy is announced. Pure research is hard to find these days, much is done at the university level and requires subsidization. Big companies rarely take chances.

Right now though, automakers are diving in. Even if this is just a transition phase, it has brought many good jobs to the marketplace. Seventy years ago, Sunbeam was making toasters that weighed 20 lbs and are all now in a landfill. it doesn't matter because it employed people who went out and bought Chevies and the salesmen's wives bought Wonderbread. All that is gone now and here we are. Was that all for nothing?

Last edited by DrVenture; 08-15-2024 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 01:17 PM   #8965
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Toyota is doing just that, using expensive solid state on a smaller scale to start. Eventually it will translate to larger scale, then become even cheaper. It is what is already happening. It is also important to note that hybrid sales are rising as EV sales slip. The market is doing its thing. automakers are responding. In absolute terms, any hybrid is substantially more complex than an EV. Any ICE is substantially more complex. If there is a significant breakthrough in battery tech, hybrids may be hard to justify. Or at least drop in market share.

Now that we agree that the whole fire thing is a bit overstated, it can be put to rest. And it didn't even take us three years to get here.

Diversity of engineering requires funding. I've posted only a fraction of what is going on in the transportation engineering ecosystem. The automakers, including Tesla, are not going to take any real chances that destroy shareholder value. Imagine they did and no one would step up to buy at the true price point. Shareholders are screwed, engineers are fired, management is tossed and bankruptcy is announced. Pure research is hard to find these days, much is done at the university level and requires subsidization. Big companies rarely take chances.

Right now though, automakers are diving in. Even if this is just a transition phase, it has brought many good jobs to the marketplace. Seventy years ago, Sunbeam was making toasters that weighed 20 lbs and are all now in a landfill. it doesn't matter because it employed people who went out and bought Chevies and the salesmen's wives bought Wonderbread. All that is gone now and here we are. Was that all for nothing?
I disagree on the complexity issue. EV with proper thermal management and large batteries are as complex as ICEV. Adding an engine to generate electricity in a series hybrid and removing a planetary gearset transmission that parallel hybrids use is simplification.

An ICE-powered EV series hybrid has all the upside of EV efficiency and all the upside of ICEV recharging simplicity. My opinion is after hanging on an EV forum for over a year now, overall, ICEV are far less complex to own and operate as a complete use case. Add cost in as a factor and I see no advantage to BEV adoption at this point. You can talk about the EV future all you want, but that's not now.

As far as fires go, although both are statistically insignificant, I'll take an ICEV fire over an EV fire in terms of safety and survivability. It's the qualitative aspect of the phenomenon rather than the quantitative. That's been my discussion point all along.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-15-2024 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar506.50
      08-15-2024, 02:55 PM   #8966
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Let's put the EV fire on the side. We have more concerns from the Tesla owned public charging stations need to be address. Everyone need to practice "sharing is caring" and see how it go

Reason 105 not to buy Tesla’: Tesla driver warns against charging up next to a Cyber truck

https://www.dailydot.com/news/chargi...la-cybertruck/
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 03:18 PM   #8967
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Let's put the EV fire on the side. We have more concerns from the Tesla owned public charging stations need to be address. Everyone need to practice "sharing is caring" and see how it go

Reason 105 not to buy Tesla’: Tesla driver warns against charging up next to a Cyber truck

Reason number three not to get any EV are the infernal tv ads for them that plague advert time non stop seemingly on every single serial break .
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-15-2024, 03:43 PM   #8968
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:

I doubt many share your pedantic concerns.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 04:01 PM   #8969
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Reason number three not to get any EV are the infernal tv ads for them that plague advert time non stop seemingly on every single serial break .
This is called brain wash my friend.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      08-15-2024, 04:20 PM   #8970
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
This is called brain wash my friend.
Easily rectified by the mute button
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-15-2024, 09:21 PM   #8971
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Do boomers still watch TV?
      08-15-2024, 09:44 PM   #8972
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I don’t see any EV ads on my TV or cable or streaming.
Appreciate 1
RM73004.00
      08-16-2024, 02:16 AM   #8973
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ Non stop over here, I have a good laugh at them spending silly money on tv ads for vehicles that fewer people want.
Cue Talking Heads - On a Road To Nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #8974
M5Rick
General
Rep

12 council EV vans have replaced diesel vans on the Isle of Wight.[no political content]
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-16-2024, 11:07 AM   #8975
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
OK, edited, but this article is specifically about what Toyota is doing in the EV market, unfortunately the president of Toyota stated the P word.
Noted, Toyota boss can and we can't.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      08-17-2024, 04:26 AM   #8976
M5Rick
General
Rep

This chap attempted to do a long trip in a Renault Zoe 'GT' EV . It's a small car made in France and according to the title it wasn't all an electric drive.

''I managed to find a charger but it wasn't working'.

Last edited by M5Rick; 08-17-2024 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00