BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-01-2024, 07:21 AM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You just reinforced my point. I think heated seats are useless, but you like them. Efthreeoh thinks the fake noise and what not are useless, but someone else might like it. That's the whole point.
Heated seats aren't fake.
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1231.50
RM73002.50
      07-01-2024, 10:06 AM   #68
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Heated seats aren't fake.
Neither is engine noise through speakers, it's just not engine noise and just like heated seats you can turn them off if you're not interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 02:42 PM   #69
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Neither is engine noise through speakers, it's just not engine noise and just like heated seats you can turn them off if you're not interested.
I've not been in a car that has engine noise added to the cabin via the audio system, so I don't know what it sounds like. I will say if the engine audio is the sound from the actual engine intake and exhaust piped in because the engine is so well isolated from the cabin, then it's not fake. If the engine audio is a synthesized audio soundtrack of a random engine, say a BMW M20, played in a BMW with a 4-cylinder turbo N20, then that's fake. Audio engine noise introduced via the audio system in an ICEV is disappointing. But again, a compliment for how well eniges can be isolated from the chassis and breaks the narrative EV own the NVH space.

Any engine noise in an EV is fake by definition.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #70
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 22 CT5V Blackwing

Quote:
I've not been in a car that has engine noise added to the cabin via the audio system, so I don't know what it sounds like. I will say if the engine audio is the sound from the actual engine intake and exhaust piped in because the engine is so well isolated from the cabin, then it's not fake. If the engine audio is a synthesized audio soundtrack of a random engine, say a BMW M20, played in a BMW with a 4-cylinder turbo N20, then that's fake. Audio engine noise introduced via the audio system in an ICEV is disappointing. But again, a compliment for how well eniges can be isolated from the chassis and breaks the narrative EV own the NVH space.

You're not missing much. Completely synthetic and sounds like shit. One of the first things I disable if the car has it.
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18686.50
      07-01-2024, 05:45 PM   #71
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You must be a grandmaster at twister. Who cares if the sound is fake or not, it's not the point and I'm sure you know that. The point was cars come with features not everyone wants or uses. Fake engine noise is just one you've decided to focus on. Don't like fake engine noise don't turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2024, 06:08 PM   #72
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
You're not missing much. Completely synthetic and sounds like shit. One of the first things I disable if the car has it.
Only car that I've driven that I know had fake engine noise through the speakers was a Genesis GV70. I went to test drive one and I was surprised how well it sounded. I was so surprised after a while I thought something might be up so I went through the settings and found it. When I turned it off it basically made no sound at all. I would probably leave it on.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 12:03 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You must be a grandmaster at twister. Who cares if the sound is fake or not, it's not the point and I'm sure you know that. The point was cars come with features not everyone wants or uses. Fake engine noise is just one you've decided to focus on. Don't like fake engine noise don't turn it on.
It's matters because the EV has no engine, so the option exists solely because the EV has no intrinsic combustion engine sound. Heated seats are a comfort augmentation of a non-optional component of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 04:41 PM   #74
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Only car that I've driven that I know had fake engine noise through the speakers was a Genesis GV70. I went to test drive one and I was surprised how well it sounded. I was so surprised after a while I thought something might be up so I went through the settings and found it. When I turned it off it basically made no sound at all. I would probably leave it on.
Nah, you'd turn it off. We test drove a GV70 and loved the SUV itself not any fake noise.

The CX-5 we have has fake noise pumped through the stereo with no way to shut it off. My wife is not a car person & even she hates it.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 04:43 PM   #75
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
You cannot always turn it off. THe fake bs noise is pumped through the stereo on our CX-5 with no way to disable it.
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 04:44 PM   #76
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
You just reinforced my point. I think heated seats are useless, but you like them. Efthreeoh thinks the fake noise and what not are useless, but someone else might like it. That's the whole point.
You just reinforced mine. You have never been anywhere that actually gets cold.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #77
Condorll
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Attachment 3456852

As we all know, when it comes to EVs they perform the mundane a-to-b tasks incredibly well. Smooth and silent operation, no NVH or shifting, and abundance of power all create a great experience. We have an IONIQ 6 in the family, and that is one fantastic car when traveling about the city. But it is not fun in the slightest, and that's ok. So, how does a heavy battery electric car gain a soul? The crazy geniuses at Hyundai's N division (in particular ex BMW-M boss Albert Biermann) thought of that and gave us their take on a performance EV unlike any other.

The Stats
For those unfamiliar, the IONIQ 5 N is Hyundai’s performance EV SUV. It has a maximum of 641 horsepower and 568lb-ft torque when using N Grin Boost (NGB), and at all other times 601 horsepower and 545lb-ft torque. It has an 84kWh battery capable of 221 EPA estimated miles and uses an 800-volt architecture. Hyundai claims the I5N weighs around 4800lbs and will hit 60 in 3.25 seconds.

Attachment 3456823

The Looks
Before getting to how it drives though, how about the looks? I know the crowd on here may be split on Hyundai’s design direction and overall “styling” (although the grass isn't much greener in Munich), but I think the I5N looks the part. The regular I5 looks fantastic. It has a retro-modern flair, with clear inspiration from 80’s hot hatches (particularly that of the Delta Integrale) and with that, I think that allows it to be the best-looking EV outside of maybe a Taycan, which is easily double the price. The I5N takes it up a notch to 11 with beefy fender flares, a lower and wider stance, real vents for aero, as well as different trim and a more aerodynamic rear spoiler on top of many other changes. And of course, this one being spec’d in Soultronic Orange means it will have no trouble standing out from the crowd. Again, I know looks are subjective, but I dig it.

Attachment 3456847

Inside things

Attachment 3456831

Thanks for reading![/QUOTE]

Nice car but I wouldn't give more than a pocket full of change for a Hyundai
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 06:29 PM   #78
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

That's the thing right? If BMW built the i5N the world would be raving how it was the greatest thing since EVs were invented. But cos it's a Hyundai... 😅
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2024, 09:08 PM   #79
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
That's the thing right? If BMW built the i5N the world would be raving how it was the greatest thing since EVs were invented. But cos it's a Hyundai... 😅
Sure...on this forum LOL

However, regardless of the badge, the price is LOL GTFO
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18686.50
      07-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #80
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
If the manufacturers have to add engine sounds and simulated gear shifts into the EV because it's boring, well then... it is what it is.
I think adding this stuff does a disservice to EVs. It's bad for CVTs to fake shifts too. This is stupid focus group / marketing team style thinking. We didn't add vinyl clicks and pops to CDs on purpose, well, mostly anyway.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18686.50
      07-03-2024, 04:01 AM   #81
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I think adding this stuff does a disservice to EVs. It's bad for CVTs to fake shifts too. This is stupid focus group / marketing team style thinking. We didn't add vinyl clicks and pops to CDs on purpose, well, mostly anyway.
Exactly.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-03-2024 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2024, 04:09 AM   #82
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I'd still say it's stupid. I've been a Bimmer owner going on 36 years now.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 08:01 AM   #83
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
You cannot always turn it off. THe fake bs noise is pumped through the stereo on our CX-5 with no way to disable it.
Since 99% of CX-5 owners are women, does it really matter?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 10:23 AM   #84
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Sure...on this forum LOL

However, regardless of the badge, the price is LOL GTFO
Show me any new car on the market today with 600hp(650 with boost) that cost under 70k(with tax incentives and discounts), please, I'm waiting.
      07-04-2024, 11:58 AM   #85
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

I am highly skeptical of this.

This is in just about EVERY car on the road made in the last 5 years and many within the last 10.

Much more likely is you've driven these cars, heard this noise, but thought it was from the engine.
      07-04-2024, 02:07 PM   #86
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I am highly skeptical of this.

This is in just about EVERY car on the road made in the last 5 years and many within the last 10.

Much more likely is you've driven these cars, heard this noise, but thought it was from the engine.
Up until the end of 2021 I was driving about 40,000 miles per year and only in my 5 cars. I have not driven any other cars because I just don't have the time, LOL. The only cars I have been in other than mine within the last 5 years were early model-year Tesla Model M and Y, and Mazda CX-5, which Donatello. says has piped-in engine sounds. The Tesla's made fart noises. The CX-5 I was in was a 2018, according to the internet only the 2020 and later model year turbos have the synthesized engine sound; Engine Harmonics Enhancer in Mazda-speak. So, I can confidently say I 99.9% sure I've not been in a fake engine sound car.

The Gen 6 Ford Bronco does have fake engine sound in the higher trim levels with the Lux package and B&O audio system. My Bronco is not fancy (on purpose).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-04-2024 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #87
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Mpower View Post
Show me any new car on the market today with 600hp(650 with boost) that cost under 70k(with tax incentives and discounts), please, I'm waiting.
Do you not understand that ALL new cars are overpriced these days?

Also, did you buy 1 of these $70k Hyundais or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2024, 08:18 PM   #88
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Since 99% of CX-5 owners are women, does it really matter?
It's my wife's daily & I already stated even she hates it & she is not a car person at all. So it matters.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18686.50