BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #67
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
best not be implying me.
I wasn't implying anything to anyone. If you called him a "wannabe" or something similar, then I'm talking about you, if you didn't then I wasn't. I don't mince words, and I generally don't leave much to inference.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #68
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I wasn't implying anything to anyone. If you called him a "wannabe" or something similar, then I'm talking about you, if you didn't then I wasn't. I don't mince words, and I generally don't leave much to inference.
true. i was gonna say...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #69
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
Why do they like the style? Its not as if there are not thousands of wheels out there for these guys to rock on their VWs. No, they bought these wheels for a reason, and that reason is to look like a more expensive vehicle. If you want to call that "style" thats fine. But it does not change the fact that the desire to run a more expensive car's running gear screams of ennui. Simply saying that they like the style and the wheels came with those center caps does not absolve them of the fact that they are posing in their cars rocking another car's logos. I have no issue with people running HRE wheels to have HRE caps. The reason being that HRE makes wheels, their brand is a wheel brand. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi are car brands and the logo speaks not of the wheel but of the car. More over, most wheels are made by independent contractors for the car manufacturer. So quite literally that Mercedes wheel is most likely not made by Mercedes, but by some other manufacturer, like BBS, Momo or Enkei. So if they wanted to advertise whose wheels these are they should source badges that convey this, not the auto manufacturer's.
So what about the guys on reps driving BMW's. By your logic the guys with reps are trying to look like they are running more expensive wheels and it is some sort of modding faux pas.

I don't think any VW guys running alphards think they are going to fool anyone into thinking they are driving a merc. Its just part of the VW scene and personally I quite like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #70
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

it's just a car.
      08-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #71
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #72
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSaints View Post
I haven't read this entire thread but I just wanted to say that I came from the VW crowd before BMW. I actually really like the style that a lot of VW owners go for with their cars. It's been a VW thing for a LOOOOOOOOONG time and I'm happy it continues. I may not like everything everyone does but who cares. In a lot of ways I wish the BMW crowd was like the VAG crowd. I always loved driving across the country for different events with 50+ cars and planning trips, etc. It was always a good time. Back to the styling though, really... who cares.

Check out this site: http://dubaudi.com/gallery_video.html. It doesn't look like they have updated their site but it just shows you some of the fun these guys have.

This brings me to my next point. Am I just missing it or are there a bunch of BMW enthusiast events out there somewhere? I've head of a few but not many.
It's good to see that I'm not the only one thinking like that...Easyman and some other guys in this thread seem to have some kind of logic........
All non-M E46 guys should not put ///M wheels on their cars(as they try to fool people that they drive an ///M) This thread is full of hate.
It's only a small logo on a center cap it's not like someone slapped an S-Line/ RS , ///M logo on the back of his Jetta-Golf. No one looks at center caps....if you can find an OEM replacement one yes change it if not then too bad it will stay as is.

At least these guys are creative...they calculate, use adapters check offset, DIY etc. While most of bimmers owners are glad to take it in the back without any lube by going to their local Bmw dealership and buy every performance part offered or Dinan Crap(that void warranty).

Also you can save money by using parts that (rich Bentley-Audi) owners sell for cheap
I.E OEM wheels or brakes.....
If Bmw owned an other brand I'm sure that people would not hesitate to retrofit parts.(Mini is too different using 4-Lug etc, 4 bangers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 08-05-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #73
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
It's good to see that I'm not the only one thinking like that...Easyman and some other guys in this thread seem to have some kind of logic........
All non-M E46 guys should not put ///M wheels on their cars(as they try to fool people that they drive an ///M) This thread is full of hate.
It's only a small logo on a center cap it's not like someone slapped an S-Line/ RS , ///M logo on the back of his Jetta-Golf. No one looks at center caps....if you can find an OEM replacement one yes change it if not then too bad it will stay as is.

At least these guys are creative...they calculate, use adapters check offset, DIY etc. While most of bimmers owners are glad to take it in the back without any lube by going to their local Bmw dealership and buy every performance part offered or Dinan Crap(that void warranty).
no one is saying BMW owners cant put M wheels. do you know what the M-sport package is?...
maybe you 1ers are like that but ive seen tons of people here with creativity, hell theres a DIY forum for God sake. and ive seen Jettas with BMW ///M badges. Ive seen Audi S4's with RS4 badges. some BMW owners are stupid to do that too (ex: 328 -> M3)

its not a small logo, and them not changing it is being lazy. theres no reason for the badges to stay on. if theyre not after the badge, take it the fuck off. ill respect them when the badge is off, thats all

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #74
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
no one is saying BMW owners cant put M wheels. do you know what the M-sport package is?...
maybe you 1ers are like that but ive seen tons of people here with creativity, hell theres a DIY forum for God sake. and ive seen Jettas with BMW ///M badges. Ive seen Audi S4's with RS4 badges. some BMW owners are stupid to that too (ex: 328 -> M3)

its not a small logo, and them not changing it is being lazy. theres no reason for the badges to stay on. if theyre not after the badge, take it the fuck off. ill respect them when the badge is off
I know what is ///M package had it on my canadian Spec 135I since 2008...
Like I said ...it's one thing to say that it's ugly to have a logo from a different manufacturer but it's an other to say that people are trying to pretend that they drive a more expensive car or are trying to fool people. Call them lazy or what you want but I don't think someone is stupid enough to pretend that his driving a Mercedes A4 or Bmw Jetta.
Like I said the wheels are from a brand and the car is an other...and some times you just can't get the center cap so you have to live with it.
My brother rocks my OEM A4 17s for winter with the Audi center cap...it still looks very good for a winter setup.

One good exemple is Honda civic with 5-Lug conversion..you have to use Integra GSR, RSX-S wheels or Type-R wheels..guess what for some models there are no center caps and YOU CAN'T remove the Acura Logo from the middle it's engraved there. Nothing you can do about that.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 08-05-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #75
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
definitely wouldn't say 'most'.

i would never go and buy from dinan or the stealership.

you make a lot of false generalizations.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #76
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
While most of bimmers owners are glad to take it in the back without any lube by going to their local Bmw dealership and buy every performance part offered or Dinan Crap(that void warranty).
s)
Dude you are so right. A Dinan Stroked M3/M5/M6 is crap.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #77
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Dude you are so right. A Dinan Stroked M3/M5/M6 is crap.
I'd rather have ASR or HPF kit on a car rather than the Dinan. Most of people think that Dinan still retains Bmw factory warranty when in fact it voids it and Dinan warranty kicks in. After that Dinan can play ping pong with Bmw and see who pays, what's covered and what's not. In the N54 case rather go with a JB3 or Procede V3 at a fraction of the cost.

I was saying that when you a veedub or Audi most enthusiasts have VAG-COM(ross-tech) to pull out the codes. I know BMW has GT1 and some other programs but not as available as VAG-COM. Per exemple when I had my BT(big turbo) in my A4 I needed a custom tune(file) you can't get that at a local dealership. I had a unitronic tune that I had to pay $$$ for. BT you have to go with custom parts or buy a kit from APR or other tuners. Lot's of headhaches there. Lots of testing lots of time. Some might see it as a downfall but I see it as learning. You learn a lot when you mod your car.

That being said even these guys put a lot of efforts and money in their cars just appreciate them. Again no one is trying to fool anyone with brands. They like the style. They use wheels from the same group which are probably manufactured at the same plant (but have different logos stamped on). I appreciate any car that has been built properly(safely, efficient, fast, good looking).

I personally started on Honda-Tech as a low budget racer. I learned a lot then moved on to other brands. I learned a lot on vwvortex some it's good to see what some guys can do with no money(I'm not talking about slapping GP thunder bulbs DIY). I don't see what's wrong with a Porsche big brake conversion on an Audi-Vw. The brakes are weak from stock and Porsche is an OEM replacement that fits. A lot of modding is required but it's worth it. You guys have to remember that when you own a bimmer sometimes money comes with it and you can buy a Brembo kit for you car , nice HRE wheels etc but sometimes when money is hard to come by you can go OEM+ and use other parts that can fit.

Remember guys it's called OEM+

Quote:

Last edited by mtla4; 08-06-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #78
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather have ASR or HPF kit on a car rather than the Dinan. Most of people think that Dinan still retains Bmw factory warranty when in fact it voids it and Dinan warranty kicks in. After that Dinan can play ping pong with Bmw and see who pays, what's covered and what's not. In the N54 case rather go with a JB3 or Procede V3 at a fraction of the cost.
HPF ftw.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #79
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

No point repeating myself. Basically +1 on everything Bimmer Loyalist said. I just cannot believe how crap that VW Golf looked with Merc wheels Everything about it is all wrong. However, I respect that other people's taste doesnt have to be what I like/dislike.
      08-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #80
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
i really don't give a shit what they do. i'm saying it's wrong. a roundel goes on a bmw cuz it's a BMW. a VAG logo can go on VAG models, because that's what they are. i couldn't give a damn if it is or isn't specifically related to bmw.

fail.

+1

best not be implying me.
It's so cute how you get so upset about this .. it really is .. go snuggle with your BMW now and keep telling yourself how special you are because you have a Step with Paddle shifters and ZSP/ZPP .. or sorry .. can't forget your iPod adapter ...

This is honestly the only community I've seen where people list the options they bought with their car in their sig .. honestly .. you are not a beautiful snowflake .. you are not unique .. get over yourself hahahaha

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #81
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinBMW View Post
It's so cute how you get so upset about this .. it really is .. go snuggle with your BMW now and keep telling yourself how special you are because you have a Step with Paddle shifters and ZSP/ZPP .. or sorry .. can't forget your iPod adapter ...

This is honestly the only community I've seen where people list the options they bought with their car in their sig .. honestly .. you are not a beautiful snowflake .. you are not unique .. get over yourself hahahaha
you're cool dude. yup.

i'm surprised you've never seen another forum where people list their options. and yeah, listing em makes my dick bigger, of course.

hey, i am special.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #82
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:

The members in this community list their options in their sigs so others can ask questions about their options. Also, if they post pictures in a thread, there would be 230982034982049824029384028 questions asking about every single fucking mod on their car. It being listed on their sig helps so they could use that as a reference. Pretty common sense if you ask me.
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #83
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Without targeting anyone. I agree that I'm not used to see on other forums option packages listed in signatures. Go see on honda-tech, audizine, vwvortex or any other forums. So far not too many track junkies, Modders, DIY. Either way I have nothing against anyone.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #84
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Without targeting anyone. I agree that I'm not used to see on other forums option packages listed in signatures. Go see on honda-tech, audizine, vwvortex or any other forums. So far not too many track junkies, Modders, DIY. Either way I have nothing against anyone.
that's comepletly understandable. i'm used to seeing it on bimmerpost, bimmerfest, audizine and mbworld, because those are the forums i frequent. maybe it's just a forum-specific thing.

i just don't know why someone would bother attacking someone for listing stuff in their sig.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #85
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
The members in this community list their options in their sigs so others can ask questions about their options. Also, if they post pictures in a thread, there would be 230982034982049824029384028 questions asking about every single fucking mod on their car. It being listed on their sig helps so they could use that as a reference. Pretty common sense if you ask me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #86
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
that's comepletly understandable. i'm used to seeing it on bimmerpost, bimmerfest, audizine and mbworld, because those are the forums i frequent. maybe it's just a forum-specific thing.

i just don't know why someone would bother attacking someone for listing stuff in their sig.
It's maybe because it's just a different crowd. I had nothing to brag about when I was driving my Mazda-Honda-Toyota-Acura apart from fast 1/4 mile times, lap time or overpaying for JDM parts. I remember back in the days on Honda-tech people signatures used to go by:

B18C5, AEM cam gears, DC sports headers, Rota slip stream, HKS Super Dragger, JDM Shift knob,JDM steering wheel, Bride racing seat, Cusco strut tower brace, gsr brakes-5 lug, Crower cams, port and polish,weight reduction 2100 lbs
13,72@101 MPH

On vw forums people used to list their cam setup(260,264,288, FK coilovers, texturized rub strips etc, OEM Bora-Vento HID)

That's how people used to do signatures. I guess that it's the same on Mustang, SRT8, Camaro forums

Over here we get a little bit of both but being honest the Bmw crowd has a lot of age spread . I've seen a lot of 40-50-60-70 y/o people here(which is cool).
I myself matured over the years and changed my lifestyle and car habit over the last 10 years. I went from a teen living in his parents basement spending all my paychecks on cars to well a more balanced lifestyle. Otherwise I would still live at home or be renting a crappy appartement somewhere.

Last thing: Diehard muscle car guys used to give us props on our fast or nice looking car. We had a lot of work there with little money.
Real car guys appreciate and don't hate. I'm not a fan of muscle cars but I can appreciate a 1969 Camaro RS SS or 1970 Hemi Cuda. Even a mini with an Hayabusa or CBR engine.

I just love walking into a tire shop and smell rubber. I'm a car enthusiast and I will try all kinds of different cars before it's too late.

My point is not to take a shot at anyone but just telling you guys what I really think

Quote:

Last edited by mtla4; 08-07-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #87
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
to each his own!

i used to be in the vw scene and i love it all.

i love a slammed stretch vw or audi
i love a 96 blown stang with drag radials and skinnies
i love a slammed turbo 1jz sc300 with gold wheels
i love a red murcielago

i just like it all if its done right. no half ass pepboy hondas!!
      08-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #88
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 488 Pista, M2CS, Tundra

I agree, there aren't enough track junkies on this forum!
Appreciate 0